Groups

How can this be ?

The same pieces were used to construct each of the below shapes, yet the one on the right has a greater area.
    How can this be?

16 Comments

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg171/123music129/OPTICAL%20ILLUSIONS/1406.gif

Original Poster

Thankyou !

area = length * width so thats easy

whoa whats going on? Lesley started the puzzle and allstar finishes by adding the picture!!!!

lol tag team

Original Poster

harlzter;1735158

whoa whats going on? Lesley started the puzzle and allstar finishes by … whoa whats going on? Lesley started the puzzle and allstar finishes by adding the picture!!!!

We're well clever on here ... !!;-)

We spend so much time on HUKD we are beginning to read each others minds ....

i put it up so i could see the picture lol

oh it was originally in op lol

Original Poster

allstar2;1735145

area = length * width so thats easy

I still can't work out where the other box comes from though as the shapes are exactly the same size in each pic ??

lesleysherrock;1735223

I still can't work out where the other box comes from though ??

what other box?

the bits are the same in both they are just arranged differently.

I hope im right lol

Its got me puzzled:thinking: My oh says it is an optical illusion but I can't work out how. He says the squares are different sizes or something.

Banned

allstar2;1735231

what other box?the bits are the same in both they are just arranged … what other box?the bits are the same in both they are just arranged differently.I hope im right lol

the two boxes (two boxes with four shapes inside) have the same size shapes inside but measure different

Right - we have printed it out and are cutting the shapes out to see if they are the same size. It has really got us puzzled!!!!!!

its just the way they are laid out.. hmm i dont know how to explain it but its all to do with positioning off the boxes and then the fact area is lenght by width

all the bits are the same sizes

its hard to explain ugh

Ok it is something to do with hypotenuses!!!!!
    We had to google it in the end.

The problem is that the large diagonal in the 5x13 is not really a straight line. You can't really line up the hypotenuse of the 3x8 right triangles with that of the 2x5 right triangles involved in the creation of the quadrangles.

Original Poster

loveabargain;1735341

Ok it is something to do with hypotenuses!!!!!We had to google it in the … Ok it is something to do with hypotenuses!!!!!We had to google it in the end.The problem is that the large diagonal in the 5x13 is not really a straight line. You can't really line up the hypotenuse of the 3x8 right triangles with that of the 2x5 right triangles involved in the creation of the quadrangles.

OMG !! I'm even more confused now ....... but thanks anyway !
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047112
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767266
      3. Show us your Photos 2017. September's Theme - 'Earth, Wind & Fire'32452
      4. love affairs1445

See more discussions