Groups

How Can TNT Charge VAT on DPF?

I got sent a Android TV Box worth £22.77 from China.

TNT are holding it hostage until I pay them £28.55 on top of the *(I think it was about)* £10 I was charged to use them to deliver the package. *(It wasn't my choice to use them and have no contract with TNT)*

* Duty:£0.00

* VAT:£4.55

* DPF:£20.00

* VAT ON DPF:£4.00

The £4.55 VAT I get. But the £20.00 and the £4.00 VAT on the DPF I don't get.

Shouldn't the DPF be included in the original shipping costs??

The email I got was just a standard template email: i.imgur.com/618…png

They even forgot to replace **[person’s name here]** with my name.

So this makes me think they do this to everyone.

Also they where sending the package then decided to take it back to the London Stansted Airport.

i.imgur.com/8aF…png

So on an item that costs £22.77 that I paid to get delivered within 3-5 days *(that didn't happen. It's been about a Month)* is now stuck at London, and is going to cost me in total, including the original shipping costs. £38.55

So that £22.77 Android TV Box is going to cost me a grand total of £61.32 because I wanted to get it within a week.

Moral of the story. Avoid TNT like the plague.

19 Comments

if you want it you need to pay.. don't know if you can return to sender and tell them to refund it?

dpf isn't anything to do with original shipping - thats the service tnt provide to clear your item

also they want you to pay 28.55, think thats on top of your 22.77 so would be 51.22 no?

Edited by: "brilly" 30th Aug 2016

Original Poster

justanothercid

if you want it you need to pay.. don't know if you can return to sender … if you want it you need to pay.. don't know if you can return to sender and tell them to refund it?

I told TNT they can send it back. Now lets see if the outlet that sold me it will refund me.

If the £24 DPF fee is added to every TNT delivery, shouldn't they be up front about that?

It seems like extortion, and frankly a dishonest practice. I have used services like royal airmail & DHL and have never been fleeced with charges this high before, for similar priced items I have received from China.

pinguy

I told TNT they can send it back. Now lets see if the outlet that sold me … I told TNT they can send it back. Now lets see if the outlet that sold me it will refund me.If the £24 DPF fee is added to every TNT delivery, shouldn't they be up front about that?It seems like extortion, and frankly a dishonest practice. I have used services like royal airmail & DHL and have never been fleeced with charges this high before, for similar priced items I have received from China.

yeah you have probably been tax dodging, 22.27 is over the free threshold
    over that you should always be paying
    tnts fee of 24quid seems high though
    sure royal mail did 10quid last time i needed it but that was ages ago

may have trouble getting refund also as its not sellers fault and usually they say you are liable for all import fees
    Edited by: "brilly" 30th Aug 2016

Original Poster

brilly

dpf cant be 20+vat surely if you paid 22.77 and total will be 38.55dpf … dpf cant be 20+vat surely if you paid 22.77 and total will be 38.55dpf isn't anything to do with original shipping - thats the service tnt provide to clear your item

"Deferment Proc. Fee is them processing your order fast by already paying import duties on your behalf. So they charge a fee for th8is to the receiver.

They do this so it doesn’t sit in the airport warehouse for a while waiting for fees to be paid.

The Irony is that it sit in the TNT warehouse for a while until you pay their fee. IMO they are bullying for an added fee tagged onto your import duty, in which there are now two fees you have to pay before you receive your package."

It didn't make it any faster. I have been waiting nearly a Month for it and they only just got hold of me today.

Original Poster

brilly

yeah you have probably been tax dodging, 22.27 is over the free threshold … yeah you have probably been tax dodging, 22.27 is over the free threshold over that you should always be payingtnts fee of 24quid seems high thoughsure royal mail did 10quid last time i needed it but that was ages ago

It's anything over £15. They charge £8 fee + VAT. So in my case if I used Royal Mail I would of had to pay £12.55
    "Receiving mail from countries outside the UK

All mail that enters the UK may be examined by Customs. Normally letters, postcards and parcels containing only documents or similar forms of correspondence are excluded.
    If you are receiving a parcel from a country outside the EU it may incur Customs charges. Any parcel assessed as being liable for Customs charges will also incur a Royal Mail handling fee of £8.
    Any goods imported into the UK over the value of £15 are liable to import VAT. Gifts between private individuals over the value of £34 are also liable for VAT. Goods and gifts over these values may also be liable for customs duty. You no longer have to pay Customs duty for goods up to the value of £135, however you will still be required to pay import VAT and excise duty where applicable.
    Please note these limits do not apply to alcohol and tobacco goods where both excise duty and import VAT may be charged. It is not permitted to send alcohol and tobacco products into the UK from another EU country unless prior arrangements have been made to account for the excise duty."

Edited by: "pinguy" 30th Aug 2016

There wouldn't be any duty to pay on a 20 quid product but TNT have charged you £24 to pay £4.55 VAT up front.

Its a right rip off but not sure if there is anyway round it tbh.

brilly

no they cleared it for you - you didnt go down there and clear the tax … no they cleared it for you - you didnt go down there and clear the tax dodging item and pay the right amount of duty on it yourself did you?

Some people don't understanding custom charges etc. and no matter how much you try and explain still won't...

Original Poster

ipswich78

Some people don't understanding custom charges etc. and no matter how … Some people don't understanding custom charges etc. and no matter how much you try and explain still won't...

Oh I do. I am not happy because
    1.) Royal Mail charges £8. TNT charges £20. Because the fee is over £15 I get another £4 VAT charge added.
    2.) I didn't send the item. The outlet that sold me the item did, so they should be handling the import fees. The outlet charged me for the delivery.

pinguy

Oh I do. I am not happy because 1.) Royal Mail charges £8. TNT charges … Oh I do. I am not happy because 1.) Royal Mail charges £8. TNT charges £20. Because the fee is over £15 I get another £4 VAT charge added.2.) I didn't send the item. The outlet that sold me the item did, so they should be handling the import fees. The outlet charged me for the delivery.

Where did you buy it from? What does their website state etc? Whenever you buy a product from outside of the EU the BUYER is responsible for any costs, the seller isn't.

pinguy

Oh I do. I am not happy because 1.) Royal Mail charges £8. TNT charges … Oh I do. I am not happy because 1.) Royal Mail charges £8. TNT charges £20. Because the fee is over £15 I get another £4 VAT charge added.2.) I didn't send the item. The outlet that sold me the item did, so they should be handling the import fees. The outlet charged me for the delivery.

i don't think you get the £4 added because the item is over £15, I think it's more like you incur a £20+VAT handling charge (extortionate!!) because the item is over £15 and they have to sort out customs
    any item over £15 attracts it, but often it's not picked up, or seller knows and intentionally puts a lower value on declaration (far more common from china than say a reputable US firm who adamantly won't put an incorrect value on), and sometimes they charge VAT upfront and send to their UK warehouse (as I got with gear best the other day). sometimes bigger companies (amazon, some eBay purchases) deal with VAT in advance so you dodge the handling fee.

Original Poster

ipswich78

Where did you buy it from? What does their website state etc? Whenever … Where did you buy it from? What does their website state etc? Whenever you buy a product from outside of the EU the BUYER is responsible for any costs, the seller isn't.

Geekbuying. So yes, outside the EU.

So you are saying, for example. If I lived in China and sent an item to the UK and decided I wouldn't pay the delivery charges or fees. It is up to the buyer to cover the costs??

What happens if the buyer has no contract with the delivery firm and has no legal binding with them??

I understand the UK buyer would have to pay the £4.55 import VAT on the £22.77 item. But what about the delivery firm handling fee? The UK buyer didn't arrange the delivery.

ipswich78

Some people don't understanding custom charges etc. and no matter how … Some people don't understanding custom charges etc. and no matter how much you try and explain still won't...

hah tried editing that but deleted it.

pinguy

Geekbuying. So yes, outside the EU.So you are saying, for example. If I … Geekbuying. So yes, outside the EU.So you are saying, for example. If I lived in China and sent an item to the UK and decided I wouldn't pay the delivery charges or fees. It is up to the buyer to cover the costs??What happens if the buyer has no contract with the delivery firm and has no legal binding with them??I understand the UK buyer would have to pay the £4.55 import VAT on the £22.77 item. But what about the delivery firm handling fee? The UK buyer didn't arrange the delivery.

sounds like you paid extra for express shipping also? always going to be courier i think

Original Poster

brilly

sounds like you paid extra for express shipping also? always going to be … sounds like you paid extra for express shipping also? always going to be courier i think

I did pay extra for the express shipping. The cost of the express shipping would of covered the Royal Mail £8 handling fee + the £4.55 import VAT. Probably would of got here faster as well.

I really hate TNT.

pinguy

I did pay extra for the express shipping. The cost of the express … I did pay extra for the express shipping. The cost of the express shipping would of covered the Royal Mail £8 handling fee + the £4.55 import VAT.I really hate TNT.

thats my point, you basically asked for tnt as you paid for express

Original Poster

brilly

thats my point, you basically asked for tnt as you paid for express

Never again. It took 2 weeks just to get into the UK. Then just over a week for them to get hold of me to tell me I owe them £28.55.

£10 for the shipping + £20 handling fee + £4.00 extra VAT for the handling fee.

I can't believe TNT can get away with charging £20 handling fee.

ironically, if you hadn't paid £10 to bring TNT into the picture, and had managed to ship the £12.77 item for less than £2.22, you wouldn't have had to pay those fees

when ordering stuff from China...NEVER pay for fast courier shipping...always go for cheapest chinapost slow option and you'll usually avoid these charges

I used to import packages regularly
    dhl is usually best around them.I never liked TNT either. but in the end u are liable to pay any import duties n taxes. dhl usually used to charge me on door at point of delivery. TNT sent me invoice 3 weeks after delivery with higher duty than I expected
    Chinese sellers can devalue package value but custom n vat is on top of that value plus courier charge which they can't hide e.g if they say your stuff cost £10 and you paid £3 for delivery its still under 15. even if in invoice they show free delivery they still know the cost of courier n charge u accordingly. if u explain them.they might waive or give u rebate on service charges. but for next time if you buying for less than £1000 never use express delivery
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1524
      2. Fanta Snapcode for Filters and Lenses11
      3. What would be HELL to you?1920
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***620

See more discussions