Expired

How can you transfer recordings from a tivo box onto another hard drive please?

Found 14th Apr 2013
Hi folks any help gratefully received on suggestions on how the saved recordings on a virgin HD TiVo box could be saved onto a normal hard drive or burned onto discs to free up space?
Community Updates
AskHard Drive
8 Comments
Not allowed.
Here is why

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/TiVo/Increasing-recording-space-on-Tivo/td-p/1124117

Its not allowed or possible.
Can you not put a DVD recorder between the TiVo box and tv, play them and record to disc at the same time?
It was always possible with the sky box....
mosskeeto

Can you not put a DVD recorder between the TiVo box and tv, play them and … Can you not put a DVD recorder between the TiVo box and tv, play them and record to disc at the same time?It was always possible with the sky box....

Yep, it should be possible if the TiVo box supports analogue outputs.

OP, if the TiVo box supports HDMI (without HDCP), it is also possible with an HDMI capture card such as Avermedia's CaptureHD but expect to pay around £100 for such a capture card and you must ensure that the HDMI socket of the TiVo is does NOT possess HDCP protection. However, AverMedia Capture HD supports component capture (eschewing the need for HDCP) as well as sVideo capture too. I don't know the connectors of a TiVo box but using capture cards provides the most flexibility due to the plethora of different video capture software available on PCs and the ability to use all sorts of decoders and encoders.
Edited by: "ElliottC" 15th Apr 2013
Original Poster
ElliottC

Yep, it should be possible if the TiVo box supports analogue outputs. OP, … Yep, it should be possible if the TiVo box supports analogue outputs. OP, if the TiVo box supports HDMI (without HDCP), it is also possible with an HDMI capture card such as Avermedia's CaptureHD but expect to pay around £100 for such a capture card and you must ensure that the HDMI socket of the TiVo is does NOT possess HDCP protection. However, AverMedia Capture HD supports component capture (eschewing the need for HDCP) as well as sVideo capture too. I don't know the connectors of a TiVo box but using capture cards provides the most flexibility due to the plethora of different video capture software available on PCs and the ability to use all sorts of decoders and encoders.

You get best answer award not just for the quality of response but for including the word "eschewing " .....which I'll bet most don't understand!!
sowotsdis

You get best answer award not just for the quality of response but for … You get best answer award not just for the quality of response but for including the word "eschewing " .....which I'll bet most don't understand!!

it is possible in many way however i wouldnt do it. Its one of those illegal if you get caught things like the kodi app or illegal torrenting. even if you dont have any malicious intent many before you have. all cable companies reserve the right to legal prosecution and refusal of svc if you get caught burning to a non tivo drive, along with the networks and so on. (Not that they would do anything that drastic) most likely just flag you and cut you off.
cableguy91

I'm yawning..........yawn. Scare, scare, scare..........
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions