How can you upgrade the storage size of a PS4?

Posted 11th Apr
Looking for recommendations of how to do it and hard drives/SSDs to get etc

...yes I have a 500gb
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
External HD is easiest way - usually get 4TB for around £70/80 or could go smaller at 1TB which are £30ish roughly...
sohailh198411/04/2020 15:59

External HD is easiest way - usually get 4TB for around £70/80 or could go …External HD is easiest way - usually get 4TB for around £70/80 or could go smaller at 1TB which are £30ish roughly...

This is exactly what I did.
sohailh198411/04/2020 15:59

External HD is easiest way - usually get 4TB for around £70/80 or could go …External HD is easiest way - usually get 4TB for around £70/80 or could go smaller at 1TB which are £30ish roughly...

Oh like you can just plug in any portable hard drive? Do I need to do anything first? Brilliant!
It's not hard to fit an internal one, the console does the formatting, you just need to put the firmware onto a USB stick.
I'm going to assume that you have a standard PS4 as the Pro's have 1Tb drives. I had a similar dilemma a couple of years back and went for an internal replacement drive called an SSHD. It's a hybrid HDD/SSD which gives you rapid loading times and extended space.
Found a link on the Web for you with a complete rundown of options for the various systems.
If you are going the internal route it's easy though, with a faceplate and a couple of screws only.
Pay attention to the drive dimensions and interface as only a few will fit.
Anyhoo, here's the link
ps4storage.com/bes…es/
You want the fastest option, internal SSD. You want best money for terabyte option, external HDD.
Hope that helps
ck1211111/04/2020 16:36

Oh like you can just plug in any portable hard drive? Do I need to do …Oh like you can just plug in any portable hard drive? Do I need to do anything first? Brilliant!

Yeah a portable like one below mate - plug in and then the console should format it for you to use

Seagate 4 TB Backup Plus USB 3.0 Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive for PC and Mac amazon.co.uk/dp/…VTF
ck1211111/04/2020 16:36

Oh like you can just plug in any portable hard drive? Do I need to do …Oh like you can just plug in any portable hard drive? Do I need to do anything first? Brilliant!

It has to be USB 3.0, older ones won't work
really don't bother installing an SSD or SSHD Internally, the difference is so negligible it's a waste of time and money.

Just buy the biggest external USB3 HDD you can afford, buy big as you will invariably fill it up.
Aren’t you waiting for the ps5? I’ve started saving up for it, instead of putting anymore money towards the 4 for replacements/upgrades.
ps5 2021
I definitely noticed a difference after I'd installed the SSHD in my PS4. Load times decreased noticeably on Fallout and Battlefront 2. I would imagine it would be even more noticeable with an SSD. On paper I'm sure the numbers say there's not much difference but my experience with my SSHD says otherwise.
I also have an Xbox one S and a rare Xbox one Elite with a built-in hybrid drive. The Elite still beats the One S on load times even though the One S is newer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions