How difficult is it to open a business account at barclays, what documents are required

Posted 10th Oct
How difficult is it to open a business account at barclays, how long does it takes, do they ask for lots of documents ? I had a look at there website, I will be doing IT contracting and my partner is a director as well, so I am not sure if we both need to open a joint business account, not sure how it works ?

thanks in advance
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Have you ever considered ringing Barclays? here. You could ask what do I need to.....
Edited by: "ChubbySocks" 10th Oct
8 Comments
Have you ever considered ringing Barclays? here. You could ask what do I need to.....
Edited by: "ChubbySocks" 10th Oct
Maybe just phone up Barclays customer service (or call in to a branch) and them these questions directly yourself? You've asked a few questions here about setting yourself up as an IT contractor and in your first thread you admitted that you "haven't got a clue" about what to do. It sounds like you might need to sit down with some sort of business advisor to help you out.
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 10th Oct
TBH, unless Barclays offers your business a unique bus banking feature you may find one of the fintechs far more flexible. For example: Starling has an excellent bus banking product that can be up and running quickly starlingbank.com/bus…nt/
Barclays' key KYC requirements are personal ID for any person holding significant control and an indication about your business type and whom the business will interact with. From my not-so-recent experience Barclays appear to have no sense of urgency in processing busbank applications.
barclayscorporate.com/con…pdf
AndyRoyd10/10/2019 11:36

TBH, unless Barclays offers your business a unique bus banking feature you …TBH, unless Barclays offers your business a unique bus banking feature you may find one of the fintechs far more flexible. For example: Starling has an excellent bus banking product that can be up and running quickly https://www.starlingbank.com/business-account/Barclays' key KYC requirements are personal ID for any person holding significant control and an indication about your business type and whom the business will interact with. From my not-so-recent experience Barclays appear to have no sense of urgency in processing busbank applications.https://www.barclayscorporate.com/content/dam/barclayscorporate-com/documents/solutions/corporate-banking-solutions/protecting-you.pdf

thank you - really appreciate it, this kind of advise is not what I will be able to get by calling Barclays
Can't be anymore difficult than RBS, must have had 30 pages to read and fill in

Starling do a business bank account (for multiple directors too as of August), I'm going to switch to them in the next month or two (I'm an IT contractor too with wife as other director and 50% share holder).
Edited by: "jaydeeuk1" 10th Oct
I'd recommend Metro.

You can do it same-day in branch (they even print you a debit card!)

You need a copy of your Certificate of Incorporation and your passport.
I tried Barclays when my HSBC account was closed. I had to fill out forms, then wait for a meeting (which I was then told would be 2 weeks away, because there business consultant was on holiday) so I gave up.

I opened an account with Tide (fintech), had an account number and sort code the same day. 20p a transaction so cost me around 40p a month compared to a traditional back. Its all on an APP, no branches.

I hear Starling is good, and also Monzo. Although not sure if you need a personal account with them also, which isnt a problem.

I would keep the accounts separate.
Bin Barclays and just get a starling account. You will need to open a personal account with them first (takes minutes) then apply for a business account which also takes minutes. I just uploaded proof of business and that was that. No charges at all unless your paying in cash (via post office) or cheques. Bacs payments are no charge. All controlled via your phone. But now you can log into your business account via a computer aswell. Nice and simple
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants