how do dual sim phone work?

LocalFound 23rd Apr 2017
If your phone is assigned to one can u still get incoming calls on other? Like does it still alert u if using sim 1 and someone ringing sim 2?
Community Updates
AskiPhonePhonesDual Sim
5 Comments
I have one but never used the 2nd sim here is a quick guide i found

Dual SIM Single Standby (Passive) - it is the worst implementation of the Dual SIM technology and it is usually used in affordable phones, not in smartphones. A Dual SIM Passive phone is capable of using two different SIM cards, but only one of them can be active at any time. That means that one SIM card will work, but the other will be unreachable. In order to use the second SIM card, you need to manually activate it and the first SIM will be deactivated when you do that.

Dual SIM Dual Active - this implementation allows you to make phone calls from any of the SIM cards inside your smartphone, and it can receive calls on either of the two SIM cards, at the same time. Dual SIM Dual Active smartphones have both their SIM cards permanently active and, when you’re having a conversation on one of them, the other still works and receives calls, messages or data. For instance, if you’re having a call on the first SIM and you’re getting another call on the second SIM, you will get notified about it. The disadvantage of Dual SIM Dual Active phones is that these devices have two radio transceivers, one for each SIM card. This means that they consume more battery than regular Single SIM smartphones and it is more expensive to implement, leading to a higher price for your smartphone.

Dual SIM Dual Standby - it is a hybrid between Dual SIM Standby and Dual SIM Dual Active. Dual SIM Dual Standby lets your smartphone have two active SIM cards, but they are both active only as long as you’re not using them. Hence the name of Dual Standby. As long as the SIM cards are both in Standby mode, you can make and receive calls on any of them. However, once you take a call on one SIM card, the other becomes inactive. This is not ideal but the technology is less expensive and more widespread in today’s smartphones.

Edited by: "waterloo" 23rd Apr 2017
If you are considering your first dual sim phone, one thing to remember is that in many dual sim phones the second sim takes the place of the memory card. A tray pulls out and either have 2 sim cards OR a sim card and an sd card.
I have separate call and SMS buttons on mine for each SIM, and different colour schemes for when each is ringing etc.
Another thing worth mentioning, on my Microsoft Lumia 650 dual sim, you select which SIM to use for the mobile data connection, then the other sim card only supports 2G for calls and SMS, so if you have a SIM for a network that does not have a 2G network (like Three in the UK) it will not work at all even for calls and SMS. Not sure if other dual-sim phones work like this, but something to bear in mind if you are considering a Lumia.
I use a dual sim Lenovo P2 handset.
Sim 1 is my personal EE sim card I have this sim as the one used for 4G data (calls and texts work fine as well)
Sim 2 is my work vodafone sim card, not used for data, voice and txt only.

both sims can receive calls and txts just as they would in seperate handsets, you can also enable seperate ringtones for each sim card.

you can also set either default sim card to be used for txt or calls or set the phone to ask you each time, in which case you get 2 buttons in the phone dialler so you can choose which sim to use.

works perfect for me as I no longer have to carry both phones around, can also disable my work sim when not at work if i don't want to be contactable by work.

Edited by: "Uridium" 24th Apr 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants