How do get audio from my PC monitor? XBOX One S

Found 13th Feb
I have a dvi monitor and it doesn’t have in-built speakers so when I plug in my XBOX one S via HDMI I can only see the picture and no sound. I have separate speakers for the monitor but how do I get sound from the monitor? I am very confused because I do not know what to buy or do I even need to buy anything to get this to work? I also want to hear the game audio, my Xbox one s controller has a 3.5 socket so I can plug in my phone earphones but first I need to get the sound working for the monitor first correct? I really appreciate the help I am clueless right now.

Appreciate the help
Community Updates
AskGamingElectronics
50 Comments
I think...may be wrong....if you connect the headphones to the control you can get sound from there. you'll probably need an audio splitter for the headphones so you can plug in the speaker's and headphones at the sametime (presuming the speakers connect to a headphone jack) you may have to go into sound settings on the Xbox and select the required audio settings from there. but I may be chatting*#*# it's 6am and I'm still tired. good luck
You can use the controller. But something like this would work better I think.

amazon.co.uk/J41…ter

Plug your XBOX into this device (HDMI IN) and then plug the device into the monitor (HDMI OUT). Then use the RCA OUT to connect to speakers. You might need to purchase a few cables
rev64 m ago

You can use the controller. But something like this would work better I …You can use the controller. But something like this would work better I think.https://www.amazon.co.uk/J41S-Analog-Converter-Digital-Extractor/dp/B01B9J7UMQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1518502667&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+audio+converterPlug your XBOX into this device (HDMI IN) and then plug the device into the monitor (HDMI OUT). Then use the RCA OUT to connect to speakers. You might need to purchase a few cables

Thank you all. I can plug in my Apple earphones to the controller (xbox one s controller) and I can hear audio but I can't use the mic? Is that normal? Also is that the only thing I need to buy on Amazon? I'm so co fused lol
Dvi to hdmi converter would be best and make sure it has the 3.5mm jack.
deleted1597344
Sophia19932 h, 14 m ago

Thank you all. I can plug in my Apple earphones to the controller (xbox … Thank you all. I can plug in my Apple earphones to the controller (xbox one s controller) and I can hear audio but I can't use the mic? Is that normal? Also is that the only thing I need to buy on Amazon? I'm so co fused lol

Yes that is correct, in ear headphones will not allow the use of mic. If your not worried about quality then just buy a cheap pair of on ear or over ear headphones from Amazon/eBay.
Does your monitor have a headphone jack? If so plug in a speaker for sound.
Hi all you need to do is locate on the back of your monitor a 3.5 mm Jack then insert your Jack from your speakers into that. the sound will travel through your HDMI lead and into your speakers , when your using a headset just turn speakers off and insert your headset into controller and your all set
There are various ways you can do this, which ones are possible/best will depend on what inputs you speakers have.

The simplest/cheapest/best is to buy an Optical S/PDIF cable and plug that into the back of your Xbox and your speakers. But that'll only work if your speakers have an optical S/PDIF input.
rev65 h, 43 m ago

You can use the controller. But something like this would work better I …You can use the controller. But something like this would work better I think.https://www.amazon.co.uk/J41S-Analog-Converter-Digital-Extractor/dp/B01B9J7UMQ/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1518502667&sr=8-9&keywords=hdmi+audio+converterPlug your XBOX into this device (HDMI IN) and then plug the device into the monitor (HDMI OUT). Then use the RCA OUT to connect to speakers. You might need to purchase a few cables

I just connect monitor to speakers.
Splice4 h, 20 m ago

Hi all you need to do is locate on the back of your monitor a 3.5 mm Jack …Hi all you need to do is locate on the back of your monitor a 3.5 mm Jack then insert your Jack from your speakers into that. the sound will travel through your HDMI lead and into your speakers , when your using a headset just turn speakers off and insert your headset into controller and your all set

Hi yes it does I think. is that the green socket? If yes my monitor does have that. I plugged in the speakers but I can't hear anything. do I need to set something on the dashboard?
deleted159734413th Feb

Yes that is correct, in ear headphones will not allow the use of mic. If …Yes that is correct, in ear headphones will not allow the use of mic. If your not worried about quality then just buy a cheap pair of on ear or over ear headphones from Amazon/eBay.

Thank you. do you have any recxomendations? The mic I have now does not have the 3.5mm
Sophia19937 m ago

Hi yes it does I think. is that the green socket? If yes my monitor does …Hi yes it does I think. is that the green socket? If yes my monitor does have that. I plugged in the speakers but I can't hear anything. do I need to set something on the dashboard?

Yes it sounds like the right port look for a audio symbol or check manual if unsure, are the speakers you have plugged into a wall socket or are they different speakers? On your monitor settings make sure sound is on sometimes default setting is off , and make sure settings on your Xbox match the set up you have, your using 2 speakers with a base unit ?
Sophia199313 m ago

Hi yes it does I think. is that the green socket? If yes my monitor does …Hi yes it does I think. is that the green socket? If yes my monitor does have that. I plugged in the speakers but I can't hear anything. do I need to set something on the dashboard?

If it's got a 3.5mm jack but no speakers then that is likely for an output.

You'll need to use the HDMI input on the monitor though, if you're using an HDMI to DVI cable then that won't carry sound.

If the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input then either the monitor does have speakers and the 3.5mm jack is an input, or it requires a non-video connection to be hooked up. Perhaps a second 3.5mm cable or a USB connection.
EndlessWaves4 m ago

If it's got a 3.5mm jack but no speakers then that is likely for an …If it's got a 3.5mm jack but no speakers then that is likely for an output.You'll need to use the HDMI input on the monitor though, if you're using an HDMI to DVI cable then that won't carry sound.If the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input then either the monitor does have speakers and the 3.5mm jack is an input, or it requires a non-video connection to be hooked up. Perhaps a second 3.5mm cable or a USB connection.

If your monitor is connected to the Xbox with a HDMI lead the sound will work if you have a audio system that plugs into the wall for it's own power , currently I have 2 consoles connected to a monitor this way
deleted1597344
Sophia19932 h, 15 m ago

Thank you. do you have any recxomendations? The mic I have now does not …Thank you. do you have any recxomendations? The mic I have now does not have the 3.5mm

You can’t really go wrong with Turtle Beach IMO., can pick up a decent pair for £30. Will depend on your budget of course and if you want wired or wireless. I have the 800x which are probably discontinued now but they are at the high end of the market and would probably set you back about £200.
EndlessWaves3 h, 38 m ago

If it's got a 3.5mm jack but no speakers then that is likely for an …If it's got a 3.5mm jack but no speakers then that is likely for an output.You'll need to use the HDMI input on the monitor though, if you're using an HDMI to DVI cable then that won't carry sound.If the monitor doesn't have an HDMI input then either the monitor does have speakers and the 3.5mm jack is an input, or it requires a non-video connection to be hooked up. Perhaps a second 3.5mm cable or a USB connection.

Hi
Yes the monitor does not have a in built speakers but it does have a green socket at the back.

I am confused what do I need to get now?

Edit- why can't I just plug the speakers back of the monitor and then plug the USB into the xbox? wonder if that will work? I did try that but it didn't work is it suppose to work or not? Sorry I am total noob
Edited by: "Sophia1993" 13th Feb
Splice3 h, 35 m ago

If your monitor is connected to the Xbox with a HDMI lead the sound will …If your monitor is connected to the Xbox with a HDMI lead the sound will work if you have a audio system that plugs into the wall for it's own power , currently I have 2 consoles connected to a monitor this way

what do you mean wall? I have sep standalone speakers because my monitor does not have built in speakers. is that what you mean?
Somebody needs to see what exactly is going on, maybe ask your neighbour or something.
Are the speakers on? Is there a light on? is the volume turned up? etc etc
Edited by: "Daniel42" 13th Feb
Sophia199330 m ago

what do you mean wall? I have sep standalone speakers because my monitor …what do you mean wall? I have sep standalone speakers because my monitor does not have built in speakers. is that what you mean?

There are 2 types of speaker one without a power cord to the wall and that won't work with monitor and the other that does have a power cord to the wall that will work with the monitor, something like the below image is fine ,
33254814-ixAl2.jpg
Look this is very simple. If you plug in a pair of earphones to your monitor do you get sound? If so when you plug in a speaker you should also get sound out but only if your console is connect via HDMI.
QuickProfits34 m ago

Somebody needs to see what exactly is going on, maybe ask your neighbour …Somebody needs to see what exactly is going on, maybe ask your neighbour or something.

Yeah a lot easier
Splice35 m ago

There are 2 types of speaker one without a power cord to the wall and that …There are 2 types of speaker one without a power cord to the wall and that won't work with monitor and the other that does have a power cord to the wall that will work with the monitor, something like the below image is fine , [Image]

While the monitor's DAC not having enough power to drive passive speakers is a potential reason I'm not sure it's a particularly likely one.
Sophia19931 h, 13 m ago

HiYes the monitor does not have a in built speakers but it does have a …HiYes the monitor does not have a in built speakers but it does have a green socket at the back.I am confused what do I need to get now?Edit- why can't I just plug the speakers back of the monitor and then plug the USB into the xbox? wonder if that will work? I did try that but it didn't work is it suppose to work or not? Sorry I am total noob

There are lots of different combinations of technology support between monitor, speakers and console and a 3.5mm socket could be used for several different functions.

Pale green is likely to be an audio output, as that's the colour used for PC port colour coding (input would be pink or light blue).

But the audio has to get from the console to the monitor in the first place before it can come out of the monitor and there are several ways that could happen depending on the monitor. If none of those ways are connected then you won't get audio out.

Without any futher details than 'dvi monitor' and '3.5mm socket' it's hard to tell which of those ways to get audio to the monitor it supports or whether any of the methods it supports would be usable with a console. Looking it up it appears as if Xbox One does not support audio output over USB so that won't work.

A photograph of the monitor and speaker connection options would be handy, or the model number so we can look it up.
Splice37 m ago

There are 2 types of speaker one without a power cord to the wall and that …There are 2 types of speaker one without a power cord to the wall and that won't work with monitor and the other that does have a power cord to the wall that will work with the monitor, something like the below image is fine , [Image]

I'm going to start all over and explain everything in more detailed. I am on my phone please ignore the childish grammar mistakes lol.

ok.

XBOX one S (The S controller have the 3.5mm port
)
Monitor amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U2ZZX5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I have this

MIC ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-GENUINE-XBOX-ONE-CHAT-HEADSET-HEADPHONES-WITH-MIC-MICROSOFT-NEW-5500/222782179948?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Speakers
amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AWC1I1K/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Right now I can ONLY listen to audio using my Apple earphones because my Apple earphones have the 3.5mm so I plug that into the controller 3.5 socket and the MIC I got on eBay does not. Now I want to hear audio with the speakers because my monitor does not have inbuilt speakers so I need a speaker to hear sound. However, I am struggling to figure out what I need to buy because I tried plugging in the speaker wires into the monitor and USB in the xbox.

Thanks to everyone who replied i don't know how to multi quote but I hope you all see this comment
Edited by: "Sophia1993" 13th Feb
Sophia199326 m ago

I'm going to start all over and explain everything in more detailed. I am …I'm going to start all over and explain everything in more detailed. I am on my phone please ignore the childish grammar mistakes lol.ok. XBOX one S (The S controller have the 3.5mm port)Monitor amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U2ZZX5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I have thisMIC ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-GENUINE-XBOX-ONE-CHAT-HEADSET-HEADPHONES-WITH-MIC-MICROSOFT-NEW-5500/222782179948?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Speakers amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AWC1I1K/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1Right now I can ONLY listen to audio using my Apple earphones because my Apple earphones have the 3.5mm so I plug that into the controller 3.5 socket and the MIC I got on eBay does not. Now I want to hear audio with the speakers because my monitor does not have inbuilt speakers so I need a speaker to hear sound. However, I am struggling to figure out what I need to buy because I tried plugging in the speaker wires into the monitor and USB in the xbox. Thanks to everyone who replied i don't know how to multi quote but I hope you all see this comment

Lol ok on your monitor go to the menu settings look for sound make sure it's turned up if your plugged in speaker still don't work just get a proper 2.1 audio that will defo work
You originally said a dvi monitor. Are you using the dvi input or a dvi cable because the monitor and Xbox both have HDMI, so using dvi which doesn't carry audio wouldn't be a good idea.
Sophia199338 m ago

I'm going to start all over and explain everything in more detailed. I am …I'm going to start all over and explain everything in more detailed. I am on my phone please ignore the childish grammar mistakes lol.ok. XBOX one S (The S controller have the 3.5mm port)Monitor amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00U2ZZX5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and I have thisMIC ebay.co.uk/itm/OFFICIAL-GENUINE-XBOX-ONE-CHAT-HEADSET-HEADPHONES-WITH-MIC-MICROSOFT-NEW-5500/222782179948?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649Speakers amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01AWC1I1K/ref=oh_aui_i_d_old_o0_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1Right now I can ONLY listen to audio using my Apple earphones because my Apple earphones have the 3.5mm so I plug that into the controller 3.5 socket and the MIC I got on eBay does not. Now I want to hear audio with the speakers because my monitor does not have inbuilt speakers so I need a speaker to hear sound. However, I am struggling to figure out what I need to buy because I tried plugging in the speaker wires into the monitor and USB in the xbox. Thanks to everyone who replied i don't know how to multi quote but I hope you all see this comment

MIDURIX4 m ago

You originally said a dvi monitor. Are you using the dvi input or a dvi …You originally said a dvi monitor. Are you using the dvi input or a dvi cable because the monitor and Xbox both have HDMI, so using dvi which doesn't carry audio wouldn't be a good idea.

I am using the HDMI cable only. No sound.
Splice17 m ago

Lol ok on your monitor go to the menu settings look for sound make sure …Lol ok on your monitor go to the menu settings look for sound make sure it's turned up if your plugged in speaker still don't work just get a proper 2.1 audio that will defo work

I have turned up the volume and still no sound
Sophia19937 m ago

That's probably what confused everyone then :p.
33255446-hzpOY.jpg

That's the bottom of your monitor right? Well that's what I got from a review of the model number you gave anyway. The one far right (black 3.5mm) would be for audio in, the green one next to it is audio out (so to your speakers) and the one left of that is HDMI.
I would consider going into the monitor settings and doing a factory reset if it still doesn't work.

Do you have something like this?

33255464-RIJ66.jpg
I would consider sticking one end into your phone/mp3 player etc and the other end into the black 3.5mm on the monitor, then plug your speakers into the green 3.5mm.
Sophia199313 m ago

I have turned up the volume and still no sound

Yeah make sure plugged into the green one all the way and make sure speakers turned up if it still not working you need better speakers that can be plugged into wall not usb , I had usb speakers once never worked properly
Are you plugging the USB from the speaker into the Xbox? The USB from the speaker is purely to power the speaker, the speakers don't get sound through that USB cable. I would be tempted to try the monitor audio out using normal headphones first. What else have you used those speakers with to power them?
Sophia199330 m ago

Is it using HDMI connectors on both ends, not an HDMI connector on one end and a DVI on the other?

Have you turned up the volume on the monitor? Looking in the manual it should be the > button. Although curiously neither the manual nor spec page makes any other mention of the audio output. It's possible it's a feature that was dropped during development or on later revisions and the 3.5mm jack isn't functional on your monitor.

At this point I would start trying to narrow down the problem. Try your earphones on the monitor output and see if you can hear anything there.

If you can then try plugging the speakers into the Xbox for power and into another device like a smartphone for audio and see if that works.

If they don't work, find another USB port (computer, charger, etc.) and see if they work with your smartphone then. If they do, then I guess the Xbox doesn't like powering them. You can get USB power supplies/chargers cheaply enough though.

If they still don't work, you've got faulty speakers.
MIDURIX1 h, 9 m ago

That's probably what confused everyone then :p. [Image] That's the bottom …That's probably what confused everyone then :p. [Image] That's the bottom of your monitor right? Well that's what I got from a review of the model number you gave anyway. The one far right (black 3.5mm) would be for audio in, the green one next to it is audio out (so to your speakers) and the one left of that is HDMI.

yes 100% the same. I plugged in the 3.5 (speakers) to the monitor and the USB (speakers) to the xbox. HDMI (xbox) to HDMI(monitor) no sound
EndlessWaves51 m ago

Is it using HDMI connectors on both ends, not an HDMI connector on one end …Is it using HDMI connectors on both ends, not an HDMI connector on one end and a DVI on the other?Have you turned up the volume on the monitor? Looking in the manual it should be the > button. Although curiously neither the manual nor spec page makes any other mention of the audio output. It's possible it's a feature that was dropped during development or on later revisions and the 3.5mm jack isn't functional on your monitor. At this point I would start trying to narrow down the problem. Try your earphones on the monitor output and see if you can hear anything there.If you can then try plugging the speakers into the Xbox for power and into another device like a smartphone for audio and see if that works.If they don't work, find another USB port (computer, charger, etc.) and see if they work with your smartphone then. If they do, then I guess the Xbox doesn't like powering them. You can get USB power supplies/chargers cheaply enough though.If they still don't work, you've got faulty speakers.

using HDMI both ends and not HDMI > DVI (don't have this wire)

I tried everything what you said but still no sound
I am confused as hell lol
Sophia19939 m ago

using HDMI both ends and not HDMI > DVI (don't have this wire)I tried …using HDMI both ends and not HDMI > DVI (don't have this wire)I tried everything what you said but still no sound :(I am confused as hell lol

is the speaker definately getting power from the xbox via usb? Could you try the usb into your phone charge or something similar, might be that the xbox isn't giving it enough power.
Sophia199316 m ago

yes 100% the same. I plugged in the 3.5 (speakers) to the monitor and the …yes 100% the same. I plugged in the 3.5 (speakers) to the monitor and the USB (speakers) to the xbox. HDMI (xbox) to HDMI(monitor) no sound

have you tried the speakers in both the black and green 3.5mm port on the monitor? have you also thrown the speakers out of the equation and tried just some headphone into the green and black port?
This might be your problem click (sorry I don't own a xbox).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 13th Feb
MIDURIX2 h, 17 m ago

have you tried the speakers in both the black and green 3.5mm port on the …have you tried the speakers in both the black and green 3.5mm port on the monitor? have you also thrown the speakers out of the equation and tried just some headphone into the green and black port?

Can 100% its working when I plugged in my apple earphones in the black socket (back of Monitor) I can hear in game audio. What does this tell us now? So if I plug in the speaker 3.5 socket into the black socket (back of monitor) and USB (SPeakers) into the XBOX USB socket then everything should work?
MIDURIX2 h, 21 m ago

have you tried the speakers in both the black and green 3.5mm port on the …have you tried the speakers in both the black and green 3.5mm port on the monitor? have you also thrown the speakers out of the equation and tried just some headphone into the green and black port?

holy sh** it worked!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FINALLY! Thank you so much! I'm so stupidddddddddddddddddddddddd wwwwwwwwaaaa
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants