How do I avoid Amazon Prime?

Posted 24th Nov
As a matter of principle I won’t take 30 days free Prime and am finding it increasingly difficult to buy off Amazon without getting tied into this. I don’t want it. And I don’t want the bother of continually having to cancel it. How do I make it go away? All advice gratefully appreciated.
Community Updates

Groups

Top comments
What do you mean “How do I make it go away”?

Just don’t sign up for it, it’s that simple, it’s not mandatory.
shop on the high street
16 Comments
shop on the high street
What do you mean “How do I make it go away”?

Just don’t sign up for it, it’s that simple, it’s not mandatory.
Are you saying that you are taking out free trials each month but want to cancel the trial each time? I'm sure you don't mean it to read that way. If you mean that you are being prompted to take out prime and having to reject it, then I suppose you'll have to live with it or not shop at Amazon.
Haircut_10024/11/2019 09:37

What do you mean “How do I make it go away”? Just don’t sign up …What do you mean “How do I make it go away”? Just don’t sign up for it, it’s that simple, it’s not mandatory.

Rub some cream on it , it might go away
Amazon has two pricing structures. A book costs £3.00 +£2.56 without Prime so I buy it knowing I am paying postage.
Then I log on to my account and prime shows up - Free posting (You think) Immediate change for the price of that book goes to £5.56 - You are still paying for postage and Prime membership they just dont want you to know it!!! If your ordering 3 or 4 items you postage could be around £8 including in the Buy it now for free delivery price. Seen it too much to not know it.
googley224/11/2019 10:24

Amazon has two pricing structures. A book costs £3.00 +£2.56 without P …Amazon has two pricing structures. A book costs £3.00 +£2.56 without Prime so I buy it knowing I am paying postage.Then I log on to my account and prime shows up - Free posting (You think) Immediate change for the price of that book goes to £5.56 - You are still paying for postage and Prime membership they just dont want you to know it!!! If your ordering 3 or 4 items you postage could be around £8 including in the Buy it now for free delivery price. Seen it too much to not know it.

What you say is true but your reasoning behind it is massively flawed and you obviously don’t know how their ‘Buy Box’ works.

There are multiple sellers on Amazon and the Buy Box is where/who you will but it from.

When you are logged out the item in the buy box will be the cheapest seller no matter what the prices are. So Seller A will be cheapest at £3 + postage and you will have to wait for them to dispatch it, this could take a couple of days to a week to arrive.

When you log in, Amazon will see you have Prime and they put themselves as the seller in the Buy Box knowing you’d rather buy from them so you can have it next day. However, there price is £5.56, which is the same as the non prime seller but you get it next day.

Its not two pricing structures, its two or more different sellers and it depends on which one you see as to whether you are logged in or not.

There are loads of items where without prime the item is more expensive than with prime, again, different sellers in the buy box depending on when you are logged in or not.
ArcadeAssassin24/11/2019 10:35

What you say is true but your reasoning behind it is massively flawed and …What you say is true but your reasoning behind it is massively flawed and you obviously don’t know how their ‘Buy Box’ works. There are multiple sellers on Amazon and the Buy Box is where/who you will but it from. When you are logged out the item in the buy box will be the cheapest seller no matter what the prices are. So Seller A will be cheapest at £3 + postage and you will have to wait for them to dispatch it, this could take a couple of days to a week to arrive. When you log in, Amazon will see you have Prime and they put themselves as the seller in the Buy Box knowing you’d rather buy from them so you can have it next day. However, there price is £5.56, which is the same as the non prime seller but you get it next day. Its not two pricing structures, its two or more different sellers and it depends on which one you see as to whether you are logged in or not.There are loads of items where without prime the item is more expensive than with prime, again, different sellers in the buy box depending on when you are logged in or not.

Of course there is the. The fact that books can be quite costly to post. Not to mention many booked/DVDs etc can be less than £1. Why would any retailer ship them for free in that price. They’d take less of a loss binning them.

I love all this free shipping entitlement. Nothing is ever free! It’s included in the price/service one way or another.
To answer the OP, shop on eBay.
Amazon have their business model, it’s there for them to make money and sell products. If you don’t like it, tough.
Matter of what principle?
Send your prime my way please I'll be happy to take it off your hands
It is designed to make you sign up for prime,just shop elsewhere or if you really want something from them just get someone else to order it for you, amazonaholics don't get how some people just really don't want to use them
I know what the Op means. I inadvertently signed up for prime a few years back when I made a purchase in a hurry. It's easily done in fact as another poster has said it seems designed to catch you out. All I can suggest is to be more diligent with the check out process.
jaketheplumber24/11/2019 13:13

I know what the Op means. I inadvertently signed up for prime a few years …I know what the Op means. I inadvertently signed up for prime a few years back when I made a purchase in a hurry. It's easily done in fact as another poster has said it seems designed to catch you out. All I can suggest is to be more diligent with the check out process.

I've done that too, twice! And I don't shop on Amazon that often, and now even less. They deliberately designed the checkout process to get you to inadvertently opt into prime. First time it happened I immediately contacted support to complain and got them to remove it, second time I used the cancellation button.
Just click "continue without using free trial", I know what you mean though, it looks like a greyed out box, perhaps customer services can do something to remove it?
Haircut_10024/11/2019 09:37

What do you mean “How do I make it go away”? Just don’t sign up …What do you mean “How do I make it go away”? Just don’t sign up for it, it’s that simple, it’s not mandatory.

I was hoping there was a magic button you could click to turn off Amazon trying to trick you into taking it out each time you buy something. Alas that doesn’t appear to be possible
skelligan24/11/2019 22:47

I was hoping there was a magic button you could click to turn off Amazon …I was hoping there was a magic button you could click to turn off Amazon trying to trick you into taking it out each time you buy something. Alas that doesn’t appear to be possible

Well if it annoys you enough, you could use a browser plug-in for customising webpages to remove the offending buttons, or write a custom plug-in from scratch. Maybe one already exists, if I used Amazon more often, I'd have probably written one myself!

Other than that, whenever you opt in inadvertently, contact their support to complain and ask them to remove the free trial from your account immediately, dealing with complaints costs amazon money - if enough people did that it might make them rethink.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants