How do I avoid being scammed when buying a 2nd hand phone?

Posted 23rd Nov
I'll be paying cash so I'll be able to see the condition for myself but is there anything I should be asking to ensure I'm not being scammed? How can I ensure it's not fake? If it's stolen/on credit etc, would there be any comeback on me?

Any advice welcome
Thanks
Community Updates
Ask
18 Comments
you could pay for checks to ascertain the status of the phone currently such as IMEI checks but there is no way down the line to say the seller reporting the phone as say an insurance scam blocking the phone etc.

Buy from a reputable seller/shop and paying more is the best advice i can offer
Edited by: "dixin123" 23rd Nov
dixin12323/11/2019 16:09

you could pay for checks to ascertain the status of the phone currently …you could pay for checks to ascertain the status of the phone currently such as IMEI checks but there is no way down the line to say the seller reporting the phone as say an insurance scam blocking the phone etc.Buy from a reputable seller/shop and paying more is the best advice i can offer

Aaah, OK thank you. I knew I should be wary. If I pay in cash, don't give the seller my address and reset the phone to factory settings, how would they trace the phone if I'm using my own sim?
haha, you dont seem to understand......its not ur info they want!

If they are trying to scam you, they want u to pay cash and then they want to disappear!

Look at it this way. you pay cash, they give you the phone, it looks brand new. you're delighted.

Some time passes, the phone stops working or gets blacklisted/blocked.

Your stuck with a brick. Seller has your money and you have no name, no address, no contact info. no way of getting your money back.
Just buy a new one
dixin12323/11/2019 16:23

haha, you dont seem to understand......its not ur info they want!If they …haha, you dont seem to understand......its not ur info they want!If they are trying to scam you, they want u to pay cash and then they want to disappear!Look at it this way. you pay cash, they give you the phone, it looks brand new. you're delighted.Some time passes, the phone stops working or gets blacklisted/blocked.Your stuck with a brick. Seller has your money and you have no name, no address, no contact info. no way of getting your money back.

No, I don't understand, that's why I'm asking. So they can blacklist/block a phone remotely even if I'm using my own sim & have factory reset it?
yes any phone reported lost/stolen/credit defaulted etc are all usally blocked and this is done remotely
dixin12323/11/2019 16:35

yes any phone reported lost/stolen/credit defaulted etc are all usally …yes any phone reported lost/stolen/credit defaulted etc are all usally blocked and this is done remotely

Thanks. Not worth the risk then.
its never worth the risk

Right now is the perfect time to get a bargain on a new phone from a reputable retailer with all these black friday offers

You will get a brand new phone with warranty.

what phone were u going to buy and how much did you offer to pay?
I missed out on the O2 £256 Single sim Huawei P30 Pro deal because I dithered then RL got in the way. Now it's gone up to £428 which is £150 over my budget and people who bought the phone just to sell for a profit are selling on ebay for £440 plus! I found a 2nd hand Dual Sim on FB Marketplace for £380 but it's just not worth the risk, especially as it's someone with a foreign name who states they're a student! Secondhand with reputable sellers are way more than the current £428 O2 refresh price so now I've got to decide whether it's worth going waaay over my budget or downgrade to another phone.
Edited by: "T--J" 23rd Nov
at least hold fire and wait for what ever deals come available between now and december.

Something is bound to come up either on black friday itself or cyber monday.

and when it does dont dither.
Basically only buy a phone that’s not tied onto someone’s contract, it’s always a risk but only a small minority would try and scam someone. It’s less likely to happen with a phone that costs £300 than an expensive flagship phone. If your buying from someone local make sure you go to their house, it doesn’t stop a scam but no scammer wants the person they scammed to know where they live etc Sonia unlikely to meet at their house.
T--J23/11/2019 16:31

No, I don't understand, that's why I'm asking. So …No, I don't understand, that's why I'm asking. So they can blacklist/block a phone remotely even if I'm using my own sim & have factory reset it?

Which is why YOU Shouldn't buy 2nd hand.

Saves on the following up 'Ive been scammed thread'
Edited by: "Gollywood" 23rd Nov
dixin12323/11/2019 17:05

at least hold fire and wait for what ever deals come available between now …at least hold fire and wait for what ever deals come available between now and december.Something is bound to come up either on black friday itself or cyber monday.and when it does dont dither.

"and when it does dont dither."

Yes, lesson learned! If HUKD regulars are jumping on it, then JUMP!
Thanks for the advice all I'll steer clear of 2nd hand, wait patiently & jump on the next good deal.
Edited by: "T--J" 23rd Nov
Try to get a new phone, maybe go to the person's house only and don't buy from them if they look poor or shady lol

Personally wouldn't bother with used stuff you usually don't say much at all

If you can wait get a Xiaomi phone which beat a used phone from Gumtree
I'm personally waiting for a Pocofone F2 but that's probably not coming to early next year
Edited by: "Norseg" 23rd Nov
There are o2 refresh deals every couple of weeks so worth waiting if you can. You can of course buy second hand from eBay, but if doing so, only buy from someone with decent feedback.
Edited by: "alictait" 23rd Nov
Yes.

Common scam is sell the phone for cash and then claim theft and get payout from insurance. Phone gets blocked with a few months.

Buyer is left out of pocket. Seller gets payout twice!
Buy from a reputable refurb mobile seller Ebay Argos, Music Magpie, Smartfonestore, etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants