Groups

How do I clean my washing machine?

Hi all,
    I was just wondering how I can clean my washing machine but without using Calgon?
    I do all my washing at 30 degrees and was told that if I dont regularly clean inside the washing machine then mould spores will live in the pipework and my washing could smell musky after being washed.
    Would I do a boil wash? with or without powder?
    Any help will be greatly appreciated

17 Comments

i normally do the hottest wash once a week with nothing in there keeps it clean for me xxx

calgon imho is a rip-off would cost me a fortune the amount of washing i do lol

Just make sure you run a hot wash every now and then.

i do a hot wash with a eggcup full of bleach!

I used 1 from morrisons

You are supposed to do a maintainence wash at least once a month which consists of running the machine on a hot wash without any clothes in it.

Be warned that as you havent done one yet the first time you do it will dislodge the build up of soap scum and sludge in the pipes and cause a gross smell, this smell will last for a few washes.

Most supermarkets sell a washing maching cleaner, it's usually by the Vanish, you can also use soda crystals or sink plug hole freshener.

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;5649064

i do a hot wash with a eggcup full of bleach!

do you put the bleach in the drum? i know im being dim ill blame it on the weather:w00t:
    do you have to make sure you do a white wash after?

*roosterpots*;5649095

do you put the bleach in the drum? i know im being dim ill blame it on … do you put the bleach in the drum? i know im being dim ill blame it on the weather:w00t:do you have to make sure you do a white wash after?

no i put it where you normally put the powder!! it should be clear when its finished ive never had any problems (i do mine more than regular coz i wash the dogs beddings every other day) just add an extra rinse!! :thumbsup:

Original Poster

foxymissroxy;5649123

no i put it where you normally put the powder!! it should be clear when … no i put it where you normally put the powder!! it should be clear when its finished ive never had any problems (i do mine more than regular coz i wash the dogs beddings every other day) just add an extra rinse!! :thumbsup:

thank you, ill do that, i have a 15 month and nearly three (a week wednesday) so you can imagine the muck that goes through it lol:p

I do an empty wash on the hottest setting once a week with a tablet of vanish that has bleach in it.

Hope this helps. xx

Banned

Think about it..
    You run detergent through it every time you use it.
    Why should it be dirty?
    My current washer is over 10 years old and never "cleaned".
    Just been to stick my nose in (all of it) and it smells clean to me.
    Dishwasher, the same.

Pluun;5649301

Think about it..You run detergent through it every time you use it.Why … Think about it..You run detergent through it every time you use it.Why should it be dirty?My current washer is over 10 years old and never "cleaned".Just been to stick my nose in (all of it) and it smells clean to me.Dishwasher, the same.

two words pot luck!!!!

read your manuals to both appliences they will tell you to clean them!!! :thumbsup:

Pluun;5649301

Think about it..You run detergent through it every time you use it.Why … Think about it..You run detergent through it every time you use it.Why should it be dirty?My current washer is over 10 years old and never "cleaned".Just been to stick my nose in (all of it) and it smells clean to me.Dishwasher, the same.

ditto :thumbsup:

but if you wish to err on the side of caution, 3 dessert sppons of baking soda on a hot wash

It's a combination of modern detergents and lower temperatures that cause build ups in the pipes.

If you wash below 40 you wont notice any smells until you one day use a hot wash that dislodges it all.

Soda crystals and white wine vinegar do the job for us.

Our bosch manual says to fill the soap draw with water (trickles down into the machine) then run on hottest setting

Original Poster

biomehanik;5649725

Our bosch manual says to fill the soap draw with water (trickles down … Our bosch manual says to fill the soap draw with water (trickles down into the machine) then run on hottest setting

damn, already done the bleach thing mines a bosch too, i know now to use water :thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Speccing a gaming pc37
      2. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      3. Best IPTV Paid service?1721
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please46

See more discussions