Found 6th Aug 2008
I'm trying to send one of my mates a list of music albums i've got stored in a folder on my harddrive. Is there a program out there that will let me just select them all and then save the album names as a text file so i can just email him the list? I dont really want to go down the route of sending a screen shot or similar method?

Thanks for any help ;-)

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
17 Comments

Hold Ctrl And The Print Screen Key And Save It To Paint

raptorcigs;2687877

he doesn't want to send a screen shot!

cant you just email the file (as an attachment) ?

Original Poster

raptorcigs;2687877

Thanks but I dont really want to go down the route of sending a screen shot or similar method? Just want the titles as a text file as that way its much more usefull and can be used to enter the data into other programs.

Original Poster

snowtiger;2687906

cant you just email the file (as an attachment) ?

Its not a file it's about 90 odd folders all containing vaious MP3 files

can u not squish it down?

[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]1. Click
[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Start[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Control Panel [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1](or, point to [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Settings[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Control Panel[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]), and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Folder Options[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]2. On the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]File Types [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]tab, click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]File Folder[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]3. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Advanced[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]New[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]4. In the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Action [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Print Directory Listing[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]5. In the [/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Application used to perform action [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]printdir.bat[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]6. Click [/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]7. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Close[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#0000ff]Back to the top[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Edit the registry[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Warning [/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require[/SIZE][/FONT]
[LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or, if you have[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be performed instead.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]To resolve this issue, follow these steps:[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]1. Start Registry Editor.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]2. Locate the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Default [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]value under the following key in the registry:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell[/FONT][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]3. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Modify [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]on the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Edit [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]menu.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]4. In the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Value data [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]none[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]5. Click [/LEFT]
[/LEFT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]6. Quit Registry Editor.[/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]DO ALL THIS RESTART AND HIGHLIGHT ALL YOUR SONGS AND RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT PRINT DIR/YOU CAN PRINT TO FILE ASWELL[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/LEFT]

steevieboy4u;2687913

Its not a file it's about 90 odd folders all containing vaious MP3 files

Oh I see ... you want to send the list of whats in the files not the MP3's
I have a prog' to do this I will get back to you.

It's called creative Elements power tools .. hope this helps

Original Poster

MissRoo;2687928

can u not squish it down?

I dont want to send him the actual albums i jst want to send him a list of what i have got. Also it would be useful if i find out how to do it, as then info could be pasted into Excel or Access so i have database of what i have got. I dont really want to type them all out one by one :roll:

Do this:

Click start > run > type "notepad c:\listcontents.bat"

Notepad will pop up. Paste into it this line:

dir /b > foldercontents.txt

Save and close notepad. Go to my computer, open the C drive. In it, select 'listcontents.bat', and copy it to whatever folder you want to list the contents of. Double-click it, and a second later, a file called 'Foldercontents.txt' will appear. Inside that you'll see a listing of all the contents.

Edit: Actually, here's a neat alternative - with Firefox 3, you can just put the path for the folder in the address bar. Do this, and it'll give you a listing of the folder in HTML format. You can then save this HTML document to disk, and send that on.

Original Poster

raptorcigs;2687948

[LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]How to add the Print Directory … [LEFT][FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1]How to add the Print Directory feature for folders in Windows XP[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]1. Click [/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Start[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Control Panel [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1](or, point to [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Settings[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Control Panel[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]), and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Folder Options[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]2. On the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]File Types [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]tab, click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]File Folder[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]3. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Advanced[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]New[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]4. In the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Action [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Print Directory Listing[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]5. In the [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Application used to perform action [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]printdir.bat[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]6. Click [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]7. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1], and then click [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Close[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1][COLOR=#0000ff]Back to the top[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial][SIZE=1]Edit the registry[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Warning [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.[/FONT][/SIZE][LEFT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]After you follow the steps in the previous sections, Search Companion may start when you double-click a folder instead of the folder being opened. Or, if you have[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]associated other actions with file folders, those actions may be performed instead.[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]To resolve this issue, follow these steps:[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]1. Start Registry Editor.[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]2. Locate the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Default [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]value under the following key in the registry:[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell[/FONT][/SIZE][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]3. Click [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Modify [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]on the [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Edit [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]menu.[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]4. In the [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]Value data [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]box, type:[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]none[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]5. Click [/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]OK[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1].[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]6. Quit Registry Editor.[/FONT][/SIZE][/LEFT][LEFT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]DO ALL THIS RESTART AND HIGHLIGHT ALL YOUR SONGS AND RIGHT CLICK AND SELECT PRINT DIR/YOU CAN PRINT TO FILE ASWELL[/SIZE][/FONT][/LEFT]

Tried this and when i click ok it states ' the specified program could not be found makes sure the file name and path are correct'? :thinking:

Always on the ball as ever Snowtiger

steevieboy4u;2687993

Tried this and when i click ok it states ' the specified program could … Tried this and when i click ok it states ' the specified program could not be found makes sure the file name and path are correct'? :thinking:

HMM YOU ON XP?
HAVE YOU SELECTED/GREYED OUT YOUR SELECTION

Original Poster

dxx;2687964

Do this:Click start run type "notepad c:\listcontents.bat"Notepad will … Do this:Click start > run > type "notepad c:\listcontents.bat"Notepad will pop up. Paste into it this line:dir /b > foldercontents.txtSave and close notepad. Go to my computer, open the C drive. In it, select 'listcontents.bat', and copy it to whatever folder you want to list the contents of. Double-click it, and a second later, a file called 'Foldercontents.txt' will appear. Inside that you'll see a listing of all the contents.Edit: Actually, here's a neat alternative - with Firefox 3, you can just put the path for the folder in the address bar. Do this, and it'll give you a listing of the folder in HTML format. You can then save this HTML document to disk, and send that on.

:w00t::w00t::w00t:

It works a treat!

Thanks to you guys and or girls, will add rep to all of you for the help :thumbsup:

dxx;2687964

dir /b > foldercontents.txt

You might want to add a '/s' if you want to list the content of the subdirectories as well (depend how your folder is organized, and if you just want the album names or also the track names)
[INDENT]dir /s /b > foldercontents.txt[/INDENT]

Hope it helps

Original Poster

nmerlet;2688081

You might want to add a '/s' if you want to list the content of the … You might want to add a '/s' if you want to list the content of the subdirectories as well (depend how your folder is organized, and if you just want the album names or also the track names)[INDENT]dir /s /b > foldercontents.txt[/INDENT]Hope it helps

Thanks i'll give it a try :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. BBC4 Vietnam War44
    2. Aliexpress - To be trusted?45
    3. With or without cream?56
    4. Mobile WiFi calling?44

See more discussions