How do I find out if I have 1x4GB of RAM or 2x2 ?

12 replies
Found 27th Nov 2016
and if I find out I have 1x4 how do I know which one to buy one more ?

I am not very techy

I have a Dell Ultrabook 7440

1. Ask
  2. RAM
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. RAM
12 Comments

device manager,memory

Other than opening the rear hatch, then something like cpu-z from here:

http://www.cpuid.com/

Small useful programme, trusted and used by many.

Banned

if from a brought from retailer and not seconded hand than it is highly likely that it is 1 x 4gb (as those are the specs on the mfg site, and max memory is 16gb from the 2 dimms)

but the best way to make sure is as above by getting cpu-z

as for the when you find out and the buying more, the best would be to get the same spec memory (size and speed cpu-z will tell you something like ddr3 4gb pc10600 installed) that you already have so it can run in dual channel IF possible get the same make memory tho that doesnt matter as much as the speed and size

or just use a online memory tool like this link

Edited by: "4213" 27th Nov 2016

Windows + R and type dxdiag
Should be display your specific computer/laptop.
Have good day

take the side if your pc case off and look next to the cpu heatsink. if theres one stick its 4gb if theres 2 then you got 2 sticks.

sslesar

Windows + R and type dxdiagShould be display your specific … Windows + R and type dxdiagShould be display your specific computer/laptop. Have good day

Will only tell him total memory installed (from memory) not whether it's 1x4gb etc etc.

bbfb123

take the side if your pc case off and look next to the cpu heatsink. if … take the side if your pc case off and look next to the cpu heatsink. if theres one stick its 4gb if theres 2 then you got 2 sticks.

It's a laptop...

Original Poster

Thanks guys.

The tools say I have one 4GB and one empty slot.

Just that it gives me more options for compatible .... hmmm

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC or CTRL+ALT+DELETE > Task Manager
Performance and find how many slot do you using and type of factor RAM

Sorry my bad thought it was a pc. Try using this link here to determine your ram situation - crucial.com/usa…ory

mess0804

Thanks guys.The tools say I have one 4GB and one empty slot.Just that it … Thanks guys.The tools say I have one 4GB and one empty slot.Just that it gives me more options for compatible .... hmmm

Never trust a third-party tool to tell you if you have an empty slot. Open it up and have a look yourself.

Original Poster

sslesar

CTRL+SHIFT+ESC or CTRL+ALT+DELETE Task ManagerPerformance and find how … CTRL+SHIFT+ESC or CTRL+ALT+DELETE > Task ManagerPerformance and find how many slot do you using and type of factor RAM

yeay ! It works and says slots used 1 of 2

Thanks

mess0804

yeay ! It works and says slots used 1 of 2Thanks

​Are you matching pairs or mixing sticks ?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)22
    2. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition52480
    3. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33
    4. Win a Blink home security and monitoring system, worth £269.99 @ Netmums11

See more discussions