How do I get money from an ebay non-payer?

Found 24th Dec 2011
I sold an mp3 player on ebay on 10 December and immediately got an email form the buyer saying he was really happy he'd won but couldn't pay me until the end of the week. He's got good feedback so I wasn't too worried but after sending several emails and two invoices I got this message on 22 December:
"Im sorry but I will not pay for it now that the person who I was buying it for no longer wants it. It be worth yoy just readvertizing it but consider that I am no different not paying as someone returning an item for a refund. I am sorry for any inconvenience but I am afraid that I must break the agreement for the sake of not using my money on something that my brother no longer wants. Rgards."

Needless to say I am NOT HAPPY! I have contact ebay and opened an unpaid item notice but as far as I can tell that just entitles me to a refund of the fees. Is there any way I can get my money?
I can't even leave negative feedback which is very annoying as it may be he has done this in the past but other sellers would be (like me) unaware.
Community Updates
Misc
35 Comments
short answer no, buyer doesn't pay all you can do is report to ebay who will just issue a non payer strike
Take his advice, relist and move on.

Sort your claim with eBay for the fees and they'll leave a non-paying bidder strike on his account. 2 or 3 of those and he'll be banned, so you'll soon find out if he's done it before.
Edited by: "midlandscomics" 24th Dec 2011
midlandscomics

they'll leave a non-paying bidder strike on his account. 2 or 3 of … they'll leave a non-paying bidder strike on his account. 2 or 3 of those and he'll be banned, so you'll soon find out if he's done it before.

Only if you get that many in a short period of time, i think a month..
As i know people who have had 4 or 5 and never been banned
Banned
Why should you get his money if you didn't send him the item

This is just pure greed

People like you shouldn't be allowed to trade on eBay
Original Poster
I should get my money as he bought the item - as it says on ebay: "By clicking Commit to Buy you are committing to buy the item from the seller. You will enter a legally binding contract to purchase the item."
I listed the item in early December as it is brand new and sealed so I thought it would make a great Christmas present. Had he changed his mind straight away I would have been annoyed but would have re-listed. He kept me hanging on for 12 days and it is now, obviously, too late to list it before Christmas.
It is very annoying not to be able to leave negative feedback as, for all anyone knows, he may do this on a regular basis.
All you can do is the NPB claim that you've already started. Remember to close it after 4 days and you'll get your fees back.
He won't get banned from selling probably but he will find himself unable to bid on a lot of peoples items if he's got more than one strike as you can block bidders with two or more.
Don't worry about getting the money for the item as you still have it and can relist.
Don't leave him a false positive feedback either or you'll find yourself in trouble.
Original Poster
I must say it hadn't occurred to me to leave false positive feedback but know you have mentioned it, it is rather tempting!!! One of the reasons I believed he would pay me is that he has good feedback...now I wonder if he has done this before. I have no way of knowing and neither do other sellers.
horacevankhute

Why should you get his money if you didn't send him the itemThis is just … Why should you get his money if you didn't send him the itemThis is just pure greedPeople like you shouldn't be allowed to trade on eBay

You Sir are a moron!
I would send him a cancellation request this wat you will get your final value fee back. but not the insertion fee.. then hopefully he wont leave you negative feedback. unfortuantely the buyers have all the power even if you are selling your old stuff you can still lose out big time.

I would send him a cancellation request this wat you will get your final … I would send him a cancellation request this wat you will get your final value fee back. but not the insertion fee.. then hopefully he wont leave you negative feedback. unfortuantely the buyers have all the power even if you are selling your old stuff you can still lose out big time.

He can't leave feedback if an unpaid item case is closed without payment, which by the sound of it is what will happen.
agnes

I must say it hadn't occurred to me to leave false positive feedback but … I must say it hadn't occurred to me to leave false positive feedback but know you have mentioned it, it is rather tempting!!! One of the reasons I believed he would pay me is that he has good feedback...now I wonder if he has done this before. I have no way of knowing and neither do other sellers.

Don't be tempted you'll find yourself banned and then it won't matter if you can get your fees back or not.
Do what i do, leave pos feedback saying. Great Bidder, BUT HE DOSENT PAY BEWARE.
rsmyth

Do what i do, leave pos feedback saying. Great Bidder, BUT HE DOSENT PAY … Do what i do, leave pos feedback saying. Great Bidder, BUT HE DOSENT PAY BEWARE.

That's exactly what not to do!
You wont get the money, its a case of move on unfortunately!
whatsThePoint

just keep track of them and when they list something do the same back

On a friends account
rsmyth

Do what i do, leave pos feedback saying. Great Bidder, BUT HE DOSENT PAY … Do what i do, leave pos feedback saying. Great Bidder, BUT HE DOSENT PAY BEWARE.

Those sort of idiotic comments will just get you in trouble, and the feedback can be removed leaving the buyer with glowing positives.

Just keep the case open and don't leave them feedback. They will get an unpaid item strike and 2 or more means you cant buy off most sellers if they have their settings put down as that.
Original Poster
I must say I think that ebay is very skewed in favour of the buyer...it seems very unfair that there isn't some sort of mark by a persons id to show if they have any unpaid items etc...I don't know why sellers are not allowed to leave negative feedback.
because its became very retaliatory, if anyone had an actual issue with a seller, they would leave a neg out of spite and too many people where getting hit by unfair negs. Ebay has always favoured the buyer, you need to jump through hoops as a seller, but if you want to sell its what you have to do however.

Also when people say they cant pay now but will pay later, it almost always means they wont pay at all, regardless of the amount of feedback they have. Ive found people with high feedback tend to be the worse for not paying.
littlepinkstarz

Those sort of idiotic comments will just get you in trouble, and the … Those sort of idiotic comments will just get you in trouble, and the feedback can be removed leaving the buyer with glowing positives.

Trouble? Like police at your door? Jail time? ...It WONT get you in ANY 'trouble'.
Whats idiotic about the feedback? its stating a fact, facts are idiotic now?

Stick to watching teletubbies
Banned
spaceinvader

Trouble? Like police at your door? Jail time? ...It WONT get you in ANY … Trouble? Like police at your door? Jail time? ...It WONT get you in ANY 'trouble'. Whats idiotic about the feedback? its stating a fact, facts are idiotic now?Stick to watching teletubbies

Trouble involving Ebay.
Like being banned.
As said you can get your account banned and restrictions on it if you continuously leave negative feedback as a positive.
OK some points to member selling on ebay (I currently have 3,000+ ives)

1. Was he the only bidder? if there was another bidder make a 2nd chance offer - no listing fee just a sale fee.

2. If answer to (1) is no DONT RELIST YET - wait until ebay have cancelled the trade between you then go to the right hand side of your 'My Ebay' page and look for the link that says "eligible for a free relist credit" USE THAT LINK to relist item. IF/when the item resells Ebay credit you the 2nd relist fee on the basis that you (Im guessing) paid for it to be listed in the first place (and they already got the money out of you for that).

3. As stated above DONT leave a false positive as it WILL GET YOU Banned! Unfair but ebay is a buyer platform now NOT a seller and strangely, even though sellers pay the fees and keep them in profit, in any case between a seller and buyer they will FAVOUR the buyer.

4. (HOWEVER - and you have to be careful with this one as if you get reported to ebay they may well have something to say about it) go to the 'advanced search' button (next to the standard search box at the top of the page) click that and then click on the left hand link that says 'Items/by bidder' click that, enter the poor buyers id and click 'Include completed listings (last 30 days)' and this will release all the items (that arent made private by seller) they have bid on.

Then contact the other sellers on items they have won in the last 30 days AND (if you are brave) sellers where they have bid but the auction is still current. Any response from these sellers will give you an idea of whether the id is a scammer or a genuine mistake and , although it wont help you directly , it may save another seller the same problem (and make them more likely to warn others about other poor bidders in the future) BUT it may mean that the seller removes that poor buyer from their auction and so the troublemaker will have also been inconvenienced.

As I say, this route is not for everyone, even I, when I use it, tend to advise the big sellers as they are less likely to report me to ebay.

BUT many a time I have done this and found the buyer (even those with a good record) are also scammers - sad to say they are often other sellers competing with you that use a friend/dormant account to 'spoil' your auction. In this case I write to ebay and say 'I understand that this buyer often defaults on bids - what are you doing about it?' sometimes ebay have suspended/deleted their account after these emails but sometimes not.

5. Now this is IMPORTANT - DONT raise a cancel transaction protocol in ebay BUT DO raise a NPB (Non Paying Bidder) report. The buyer either pays or defaults, they can write through the ebay message service during this time whatever they want but, after the 4 day period, you click a button to say you dont want anything more to do with the buyer and want to cancel the transaction, you get sales fee credit, transaction is cancelled and ebay block his ability to leave feedback.

This is important as

a, it damages their reputation (see below)
b. you get the relist credit if you relsit and the item sells.
c. they cant leave you feedback (as with the cancel transaction) BUT IF THEY ALREADY LEAVE A NEG DURING THE PROCESS YOU CAN APPLY TO EBAY AND THEY WILL REMOVE THE COMMENT (and, from experiance, the buyer also stands a good chance of being banned as ebay term them a 'malicious buyer' and they dont like them)

6. As identified above sometimes NPB's continue to trade (sometimes their accounts are hacked etc) but, as a rule, 3 strikes and you are out.

This next bit is for buyers and SELLERS - it amazes me that a lot of sellers dont know this but they can limit MPB's bidding on their items (the minimum option is 2 strikes in last 12 months) - when you are raising an auction go to the 'buyer requirements' section and click on the limit buyer section and click 'non payment strikes' for 2,4 or 6 strikes over 3,6 or 12 months - obviously 2 in 12 is the best option.

If such a bidder tries to bid they are told they cant because of their history, this protects the seller, frustrates them and ensures they try to pay for items they buy in future.

Further, if they eventually get banned, ebay tell them the transactions that caused it and ebay allow them to approah the seller to pay for the item in return for a strike removal - of course the answer is no answer (ignore them as they did you lol).

7. In any event add the id to your blocked bidders list and keep that list with you if you move on to other ebay accounts so they cant bid on your stuff again - this includes if they change their id as this is auto-updated in the ebay system.

Sorry this is a bit long winded but hopefully this will help readers for some tme to come

Regards

PS - I have traded on ebay a LOT so if any members have any problems feel free to PM me for assistance.

Edited by: "GuyUK" 24th Dec 2011
Original Poster
GuyUK...thanks so much for taking the trouble to write such a detailed reply. It is really, really helpful and I am sure not just to me. I have raised a NPB report and will follow your suggestion about closing it after 4 days.
I think I'll also try number 4 as I am sure I'm not the only person he has done this too, the way he tried to justify himself by saying it was no worse than returning an item made me think he had done this before.
Once again Thank You and Merry Christmas
Not sure I understand why leaving false positive feedback is such a bad thing if you are just stating proven facts about the transaction.
brett1985

Not sure I understand why leaving false positive feedback is such a bad … Not sure I understand why leaving false positive feedback is such a bad thing if you are just stating proven facts about the transaction.

Yes I agree

HOWEVER ebay dont and have banned people for leaving it

Also what you need to remember is that your +ive rating adds to the buyers good standing - how many sellers read the actual feedback until its too late?

A comment on another page does nothing to help sellers

agnes

GuyUK...thanks so much for taking the trouble to write such a detailed … GuyUK...thanks so much for taking the trouble to write such a detailed reply. It is really, really helpful and I am sure not just to me. I have raised a NPB report and will follow your suggestion about closing it after 4 days. I think I'll also try number 4 as I am sure I'm not the only person he has done this too, the way he tried to justify himself by saying it was no worse than returning an item made me think he had done this before.Once again Thank You and Merry Christmas

Your welcome - any more issues pm me and we can sort it offine. Regards
Banned
spaceinvader

Trouble? Like police at your door? Jail time? ...It WONT get you in ANY … Trouble? Like police at your door? Jail time? ...It WONT get you in ANY 'trouble'. Whats idiotic about the feedback? its stating a fact, facts are idiotic now?Stick to watching teletubbies

The only idiotic thing is your post!
Original Poster
You'll never guess what.....my non-payer has just paid!!! Happy Christmas to you all and thanks for all the advice, I'm sure it'll come useful in the future.
just be carful and make sure it is sent recorded. I would be worried he is likely to say its not arrived or not as described to get his money back.
Original Poster
Thanks littlepinkstarz...I certainly will! I will also take a photo with Tuesday newspaper in it to show genuine item, just in case...
littlepinkstarz

just be carful and make sure it is sent recorded. I would be worried he … just be carful and make sure it is sent recorded. I would be worried he is likely to say its not arrived or not as described to get his money back.

YEP totally agree here

To stop getting a non paying bidder strike the buyer will now try and say its not been received

HOWEVER

If you send it recorded he may still say it was received damaged

so if the item is less than 100x 1st class post = £45? (soory long time since I bought a stamp) you are covered for bad handling etc but if it is more opt for courier delivery.

Given your problems I would still contact ebay and stress your problems and the mail you received from them just in case the buyer turns nasty upon delivery......

Can you pm me the buyers id - would like to look into some things on my own if you dont mind.....

Happy over eating day to you all x
agnes

I should get my money as he bought the item - as it says on ebay: "By … I should get my money as he bought the item - as it says on ebay: "By clicking Commit to Buy you are committing to buy the item from the seller. You will enter a legally binding contract to purchase the item."

Ask eBay which law that refers to, and specifically which article.
Fact is ... it's bllx, and they know it.
agnes

Thanks littlepinkstarz...I certainly will! I will also take a photo with … Thanks littlepinkstarz...I certainly will! I will also take a photo with Tuesday newspaper in it to show genuine item, just in case...

how is this gonna help?
Banned
horacevankhute

Why should you get his money if you didn't send him the itemThis is just … Why should you get his money if you didn't send him the itemThis is just pure greedPeople like you shouldn't be allowed to trade on eBay

Are you really as stupid as your comments consistently make you look?

Unreal that two further idiots liked your comment!
Original Poster
GuyUK

YEP totally agree hereTo stop getting a non paying bidder strike the … YEP totally agree hereTo stop getting a non paying bidder strike the buyer will now try and say its not been receivedHOWEVERIf you send it recorded he may still say it was received damagedso if the item is less than 100x 1st class post = £45? (soory long time since I bought a stamp) you are covered for bad handling etc but if it is more opt for courier delivery.Given your problems I would still contact ebay and stress your problems and the mail you received from them just in case the buyer turns nasty upon delivery......Can you pm me the buyers id - would like to look into some things on my own if you dont mind.....Happy over eating day to you all x

Thnaks - I have pm'd you
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants