Groups

How do I get my operating system reinstalled?

Banned
    I have been told by a computer technician that this is what I need to do.

Any ideas?

43 Comments

Banned

by using the back up discs

Original Poster Banned

sassie;6180039

by using the back up discs

I don't think I have any here.

Banned

You can download Many Installation discs that dont require a key to activate.

(not that i have done this)

What pc is it?model? May be able to restore it to factory settings

Original Poster Banned

Spriggan;6180061

What pc is it?model? May be able to restore it to factory settings

I don't know.

Where do I find out?

DLM;6180081

I don't know.Where do I find out?

Hold the windows key on the keyboard + press 'R'
    then type 'msinfo32' in the box and it should display your pc model and manufacturer

Can you tell us what the original problem with the computer is?

Original Poster Banned

Spriggan;6180147

Hold the windows key on the keyboard + press 'R' then type 'msinfo32' in … Hold the windows key on the keyboard + press 'R' then type 'msinfo32' in the box and it should display your pc model and manufacturer

Thanks spriggan, you are great.

System Model: AWRDACPI

System Manufacturer: VIAK8M

Os Manufacturer: Microsoft Corporation

Is this helpful?

ok scrap that idea, it doesn't actually say what make it is. Does it say the brand and model on the front of the PC? e.g. Dell, HP etc?
    Are you sure the pc didn't come with any recovery discs?

First thing to check that noones pointed out... does the pc tower have a certificate of authenticity on it ? IE a holographic sticker from Microsoft that tells you what operating system is installed on your PC ?

Should read something like... XP Home, Vista Home, etc etc ?

If it does then you legitimately download that OS off the net and use your activation code when installing, its legal to do that as its the code you pay for not the disks in theory.

Secondly when booting up and it gets to the POST screen is there any writing that says for example 'press f12 for system restore' ?

Thirdly is there any options in the control panel or in the programs folder, like Packard Bell pcs do, that in any way points to a system restore - as has already been pointed out earlier ?

Most pcs nowadays DONT come with OS disks... they either sell you it as OEM or install a hidden partition on your HDD for setting it back to factory defaults. The way to tell if you have a hidden partition is to go to control panel, administrative tools, computer management, storage, disk management. If there a small section of the HDD that has no drive assignment, ie C:\ D:\... then its usually in there.

Original Poster Banned

Spriggan;6180316

ok scrap that idea, it doesn't actually say what make it is. Does it say … ok scrap that idea, it doesn't actually say what make it is. Does it say the brand and model on the front of the PC? e.g. Dell, HP etc?Are you sure the pc didn't come with any recovery discs?

Just looking through the box that came with it.

There is no way anyone on here is going to be able to talk the OP through reinstalling their OS.
    I suggest (OP) that you take it to your favourite nerdy friend and flutter your eyelids (if female, obviously - think of something else if you're a male!!) and ask them would they be kind enough to help you.

(PS, if you're in the Manchester area I'd be more than willing to be that 'nerdy friend'!)

Deek ive talked through people loads of times bud, and its really not that hard IF you have a restore to factory settings installed on a hidden partition. Let her/him find that out before basing judgement ;-)

Saying that... youre right in some ways, it can be a pain in the aaress sometimes... i do it for a living so i suppose its easy when you know how ;-)

PS DLM one thing you have to bear in mind, depending on what course of action you take and what system it is, you will most probs loose ALL data on that computer... so bear that in mind if you have any stuff on there you wanna keep ok ;-)

Squelds;6180410

Deek ive talked through people loads of times bud, and its really not … Deek ive talked through people loads of times bud, and its really not that hard IF you have a restore to factory settings installed on a hidden partition. Let her/him find that out before basing judgement ;-)Saying that... youre right in some ways, it can be a pain in the aaress sometimes... i do it for a living so i suppose its easy when you know how ;-)

Sure, I'd like it to be possible but with all due respect to the OP this looks like it could be a toughie!

Well first I would try a system restore if using Vista.
    Start, Accessories, system tools, system restore. Then select the recommended restore point.

deek72;6180392

(PS, if you're in the Manchester area I'd be more than willing to be that … (PS, if you're in the Manchester area I'd be more than willing to be that 'nerdy friend'!)

He says looking at DLMs avatar :whistling:

:p:p:p

Squelds;6180464

He says looking at DLMs avatar :whistling::p:p:p

lol, nowt to do with it! I was thinking more along the lines of my wifes answer of 'a red one' when
    asked 'what kind of car was it?'

lol again, I've just twigged what you meant! Doh! I thought you thought that I thought (???) it could be a toughie because OP is a Portsmouth fan.

lol, yet again!! Just forget it!! I've lost it altogether now!

LOL i know the feeling ;-)

Ahhh a Pompey fan weyhey !!

Original Poster Banned

I have found a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition cd rom, in the computer box will that work?

Yep that will work ;-)

DLM you DO REALISE this WILL destory all data on your computer YES ?

I would suggest a repair first, but tbh if youve had a techy look and your pc and he says fresh install then ill have to go with that.

DLM;6180556

I have found a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition cd rom, in the computer … I have found a Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition cd rom, in the computer box will that work?

Yippee! Has it got a serial no/key on it?

Original Poster Banned

deek72;6180570

I think so, thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

deek72;6180570

Probably is an OEM disc

If you tell us what the problem with the computer is then we can tell you whether reinstalling your operating system is necessary. Some people on here may have experienced the same problem or helped out someone who has experienced a similar issue.

DLM;6180578

I think so, thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Great! Off you go and good luck! (after you have checked painkillers last post that is)

Next step... how to boot from CD if set to primary HDD :whistling:

Original Poster Banned

Painkiller;6180594

If you tell us what the problem with the computer is then we can tell you … If you tell us what the problem with the computer is then we can tell you whether reinstalling your operating system is necessary. Some people on here may have experienced the same problem or helped out someone who has experienced a similar issue.

It is some software I am trying to use, it says:-

The desktop has failed to open.

This desktop is currently not available.

Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator.

The technician that deals with the software suggests I reinstall my operating system.

Squelds;6180620

Next step... how to boot from CD if set to primary HDD :whistling:

Lol :thumbsup:

DLM;6180639

It is some software I am trying to use, it says:-The desktop has failed … It is some software I am trying to use, it says:-The desktop has failed to open. This desktop is currently not available. Please try connecting to this desktop again later, or contact your system administrator. The technician that deals with the software suggests I reinstall my operating system.

Have you tried a system restore as GAVINLEWISHUKD suggested? Reinstalling an operating system should be a last step in problem solving computer issues. What is the name of the piece of software?

Virtual Desktop Manager ??

Are you trying to install some sort of virtual desktop/remote desktop app ?

EDIT: hang on a minute... does your pc boot up fine and run fine when used WITHOUT this software, or is this msg coming up when Windows boots up straight away, ie you cant physically operate your PC ?

]Remote Desktop Knowledge Base

Sound familiar ?

Press ctrl and alt and del at once to bring up task manager when task manager starts click file in the top left of the screen and select run new task then type explorer and enter and the desktop should fire up, If that doesnt work go to start all programs system tools and select system restore and choose a restore point before this happened and it should fix the issue as its a lot better than vista.

polly69;6180789

Press ctrl and alt and del at once to bring up task manager when task … Press ctrl and alt and del at once to bring up task manager when task manager starts click file in the top left of the screen and select run new task then type explorer and enter and the desktop should fire up, If that doesnt work go to start all programs system tools and select system restore and choose a restore point before this happened and it should fix the issue as its a lot better than vista.

The 'Desktop' in question might not be the computer's desktop but a virtual desktop created by a specific application.

Im now confused as to whether this is Windows thats throwing up the error or the software that the OP is trying to run ???? :?

Not getting a lot back here ? :whistling:

Squelds;6180812

Im now confused as to whether this is Windows thats throwing up the error … Im now confused as to whether this is Windows thats throwing up the error or the software that the OP is trying to run ???? :?

In which case the Reinstallation of the OS is overkill. I wonder what was said to the technician for them to suggest it?

Painkiller;6180805

The 'Desktop' in question might not be the computer's desktop but a … The 'Desktop' in question might not be the computer's desktop but a virtual desktop created by a specific application.

Thats what im now thinking m8

Painkiller;6180833

In which case the Reinstallation of the OS is overkill. I wonder what was … In which case the Reinstallation of the OS is overkill. I wonder what was said to the technician for them to suggest it?

Most probs they couldnt find the answer out of the 'HELP' book they were reading from :whistling:

Well i gotta go put kids to bed as we're not getting a lot of info back here. Sounds like you need to read through the link i put up there a few posts back. TBH yes id now agree its an app specific error NOT Windows, but not enough info coming our way, so reinstall OS is an overkill.. but still an option IF your data is not important to you. Hope you get it sorted... i gotta sort littleuns out ;-)

You know, the funny things is that we are all concerned and trying to help.... It seems the lights are on but nobody home :-)

I think your going to bang your head up a brick wall until the OP gives more information as to what causes it looking at what shes saying i doubt shes using remote desktop it sounds like shes put some software on and when she runs it all her desktop disappears and if I'm right she will force it open with task manager.

Or look in event viewer for errors that should show up with crosses through.

I've just had a horrible thought that the OP has forked out money for something like GoToMyPC :?

Original Poster Banned

Squelds;6180709

Virtual Desktop Manager ??Are you trying to install some sort of virtual … Virtual Desktop Manager ??Are you trying to install some sort of virtual desktop/remote desktop app ?EDIT: hang on a minute... does your pc boot up fine and run fine when used WITHOUT this software, or is this msg coming up when Windows boots up straight away, ie you cant physically operate your PC ?]Remote Desktop Knowledge BaseSound familiar ?

Yes, very familar.

I'll try this now, thanks
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4532115
      2. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546
      3. How long do we think it’ll be until USB C is considered as safe and univers…66
      4. Sonos says let us spy or your stereo will not work77

See more discussions