How do I get rid of programmes off 'Windows.old' folder safely?

9 replies
Found 13th Nov 2009
The programmes are not on the 'uninstall or change a programme' list so I was wondering what the safest way was to remove some of them.

I have only 6GB left on my 250GB hard drive!

1. Misc
  2. Windows
9 Comments

right-click then delete :thumbsup:

just delete the windows.old folder and any program folders that are no longer installed, or just re-install over them as you want

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6882617

right-click then delete :thumbsup:

would that be safe, and would it remove them permanently?

hdizzle;6882634

would that be safe, and would it remove them permanently?

It will delete them permanently. What will remain are invalid registry references to those files. these only clog up the registry anyways so run some registry cleaner program to remove those and they will be gone for good.

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6882648

It will delete them permanently. What will remain are invalid registry … It will delete them permanently. What will remain are invalid registry references to those files. these only clog up the registry anyways so run some registry cleaner program to remove those and they will be gone for good.

such as Ccleaner? :thumbsup:

hdizzle;6882656

such as Ccleaner? :thumbsup:

Yes, but also try GlaryUtilities. I use this one and its very good

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;6882668

Yes, but also try GlaryUtilities. I use this one and its very good

cheers man

The Disk Cleanup (in Accessories > System Tools) will allow you to remove the whole Windows.old file safely and properly

Original Poster

peodude;6882931

The Disk Cleanup (in Accessories System Tools) will allow you to remove … The Disk Cleanup (in Accessories > System Tools) will allow you to remove the whole Windows.old file safely and properly

that my friend is genius. I knew there was a proper way of doing it!

Cheers, rep added :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. clocks go Back weekend 28 October why not check and clean ur smoke alarm at…65262
    2. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz56
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…56119
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428314659

See more discussions