Groups

How do I get Son to sleep through the night?

DS is 20 months old and sleeps in a single bed next to ours. He goes to sleep alright after about half an hour. But when we come into the room, he hears the slightest creak of the floorboards and starts crying.

Anyone got any adeas on how to make him sleep deeper or be more comfortable?

42 Comments

why is he still in with you??

Banned

either put him in his own room, or go to bed at the same time as him

Our son is 2 1/2 and has had his own room since 6 months old, he sleeps right through from 8pm until 8pm and very rarely wakes through the night, maybe its time he has his own bedroom, if possible.

put him in his own room put him to bed awake give him a warm bottle get a baby monitor and shut the door

oh dear .. my son is 23 & from what his girlfriend tells me he still doesn't sleep through the night!

what hours are you expecting him to sleep?

Does he exercise in the day?

Does he have nightmares at all, is he sensitive?

Does he nap during the day?

I know it can be hard to separate from them at bedtime... but I do agree with the above... preferably he should have his own room xxx

snowtiger;6924299

oh dear .. my son is 23 & from what his girlfriend tells me he still … oh dear .. my son is 23 & from what his girlfriend tells me he still doesn't sleep through the night!

LOL!

rbquk;6924274

Our son is 2 1/2 and has had his own room since 6 months old, he sleeps … Our son is 2 1/2 and has had his own room since 6 months old, he sleeps right through from 8pm until 8pm and very rarely wakes through the night, maybe its time he has his own bedroom, if possible.

+1

Mine went in his own room at 3months as had outgrown moses basket and no room for cot in ours.
    I know they say 6 months but we did use until he was over a year an angel care monitor that alarms if no movement for 20 secs.

We having problems this week( i think due to lashing rain and noisy neighbours) . But usually my LO goes down 8.30-9pm and ive often woken him myself if hes not awake by 8.30.

This week 5.30-6.30 am ( one knackered mummy)

snowtiger;6924299

oh dear .. my son is 23 & from what his girlfriend tells me he still … oh dear .. my son is 23 & from what his girlfriend tells me he still doesn't sleep through the night!

LMAO you poor woman are you still stressed?

Banned

snowtiger;6924299

my little man never slept through the night till he was about 5, the slightest noise use to wake him, but only ever had to go in to put blanket back over him and he went back off, but broken sleep wasnt good for me or him

Put him into his own room because he will smell you even if he doesn't hear you.
    Use Rapid Return technique - it works.

My Daughter was in her own room at one month and slept 8pm till 8 am . Thats why shes a only child. I know if i had another it could be a devil child lol . x

cannyscot;6924398

Put him into his own room because he will smell you even if he doesn't … Put him into his own room because he will smell you even if he doesn't hear you.Use Rapid Return technique - it works.

That's the most succinct way I've seen that written!

I agree x

give the little one a nip of brandy in their milk should do the trick

ClarityofMind;6924460

That's the most succinct way I've seen that written!I agree x

it is shrt n swt lol

raptorcigs;6924551

it is shrt n swt lol

cnt shrtn this mch more! lol

ClarityofMind;6924570

cnt shrtn this mch more! lol

o z i cn:w00t:

raptorcigs;6924613

o z i cn:w00t:

:w00t:

you're way better than me xxx

Original Poster

raptorcigs;6924289

put him in his own room put him to bed awake give him a warm bottle get a … put him in his own room put him to bed awake give him a warm bottle get a baby monitor and shut the door

Problem is, I have 2 rooms and 3 kids, lol.

14yr girl, 6 yr boy, and toddler 20 months.

So putting all 3 in 1 room isnt an option. Yet.

Banned

you cant really change the situation, if he is a light sleeper he is a light slepeer, it is you that is disturbing him

Gosh think you need to get a bigger house .

generaloneill;6924645

Problem is, I have 2 rooms and 3 kids, lol.14yr girl, 6 yr boy, and … Problem is, I have 2 rooms and 3 kids, lol.14yr girl, 6 yr boy, and toddler 20 months.So putting all 3 in 1 room isnt an option. Yet.

nope! Dont envy you that combination.

the 14 yr old must yearn for her own space xxx

I'd put the two younger ones in one bedroom, the elder one in the smaller room and get a sofa bed xxx

Original Poster

sassie;6924651

you cant really change the situation, if he is a light sleeper he is a … you cant really change the situation, if he is a light sleeper he is a light slepeer, it is you that is disturbing him

He goes to sleep in the dark, could it be something as simple as leaving a lamp on?

Original Poster

ClarityofMind;6924667

nope! Dont envy you that combination. the 14 yr old must yearn for her … nope! Dont envy you that combination. the 14 yr old must yearn for her own space xxxI'd put the two younger ones in one bedroom, the elder one in the smaller room and get a sofa bed xxx

Yeah, somehow wakening up to Hannah Montana, doesnt appeal, lol.

Banned

generaloneill;6924678

He goes to sleep in the dark, could it be something as simple as leaving … He goes to sleep in the dark, could it be something as simple as leaving a lamp on?

you could try it, but it doesnt sound like thats the problem, my daughter never had any light when she was little, my son did and its been a nightmare trying to get him to go without one, it has only been the last two weeks he has gone without and he is now 7, once you start he will always need it and may cause problems when you move him into room with other child who cannot sleep with light on

My kids all seemed to good sleepers up until this age and then they went through a funny phase, think they start getting a bit fearful of things. My youngest is 21 months and has just started getting a bit fussy with her sleeptime again, only since the fireworks were going off! They do grow out of it, shes my third bubba so I dont worry about it now.

Original Poster

I was also thinking, he does a heck of a lot of tossing and turning. The bed is against a wall, would away from the walls be better?

generaloneill;6924692

Yeah, somehow wakening up to Hannah Montana, doesnt appeal, lol.

They would be in their rooms longer in the morning.... you could wake up to nookie instead! ;-)

Banned

generaloneill;6924717

I was also thinking, he does a heck of a lot of tossing and turning. The … I was also thinking, he does a heck of a lot of tossing and turning. The bed is against a wall, would away from the walls be better?

he sounds very much like my little guy, never slept well, hes now 7 and does have a more settled sleep, but up until 5 he was all over the place, tossing and turning all night, and like i say any noise would wake him

generaloneill;6924645

Problem is, I have 2 rooms and 3 kids, lol.14yr girl, 6 yr boy, and … Problem is, I have 2 rooms and 3 kids, lol.14yr girl, 6 yr boy, and toddler 20 months.So putting all 3 in 1 room isnt an option. Yet.

Are you a council tenant?.. not meaning to pry but if you are you on the list to get a bigger house?

I'm assuming that your 14yr old girl and 6 yr old boy are sharing... this is not classed as acceptable in council eyes and your 14 yr old should have her own room. If you are a council tenant get in touch with them.

i find leaving a radio on softly always helped, chose a chilled channel..

debbiii;6924776

i find leaving a radio on softly always helped, chose a chilled channel..

My daughter likes to have a fan on right nr her head.. the drone of the sound sends her off to sleep xxx

Original Poster

harib0uk;6924741

Are you a council tenant?.. not meaning to pry but if you are you on the … Are you a council tenant?.. not meaning to pry but if you are you on the list to get a bigger house?I'm assuming that your 14yr old girl and 6 yr old boy are sharing... this is not classed as acceptable in council eyes and your 14 yr old should have her own room. If you are a council tenant get in touch with them.

Private let. Housing Association. Yeah we are on the list but Homeless get priority on new houses, meaning we are never offered anything and never get to the top of the list. Frustrating.

A house became empty with three bedrooms across from us and the neighbour came and told us, so we phoned them up only to be told we were low priority as we werent homeless.

Banned

generaloneill;6924792

Private let. Housing Association. Yeah we are on the list but Homeless … Private let. Housing Association. Yeah we are on the list but Homeless get priority on new houses, meaning we are never offered anything and never get to the top of the list. Frustrating.A house became empty with three bedrooms across from us and the neighbour came and told us, so we phoned them up only to be told we were low priority as we werent homeless.

i would get intouch with cab, and see what they say, the age of the chidren and their sex means they shouldnt be sharing a room, maybe they can give you some info about the local housing, you should be a priority with the childrens ages and sex

generaloneill;6924792

Private let. Housing Association. Yeah we are on the list but Homeless … Private let. Housing Association. Yeah we are on the list but Homeless get priority on new houses, meaning we are never offered anything and never get to the top of the list. Frustrating.A house became empty with three bedrooms across from us and the neighbour came and told us, so we phoned them up only to be told we were low priority as we werent homeless.

can you get a bigger place with the housing association? .. maybe think about swapping? you often see people wanting to swap

or get back in contact with the council... push the fact you have a 14 year old girl sharing with a 6 year old boy...

Given this some thought.
    Not an easy situation to be in because your teenage daughter needs good sleep to be able to cope at school.
    Not sure if I understand the accommodation so I'll offer two possibilities.

If two bedrooms and living room:-
    Younger two together in one bedroom, teenager in other bedroom, you in sofabed in living room.

If one bedroom and living room:-
    Younger two in the bedroom, teenager shares with you.

The main thing is that you can't share room with the toddler, it's your presence that unsettles him.

Situation far from ideal and using Rapid Return is more difficult if he is sharing but it can still be done if you all just persist.

Main thing to keep in mind is, your situation is temporary and things will improve - soon I hope.

cannyscot;6925021

Given this some thought.Not an easy situation to be in because your … Given this some thought.Not an easy situation to be in because your teenage daughter needs good sleep to be able to cope at school.Not sure if I understand the accommodation so I'll offer two possibilities.If two bedrooms and living room:-Younger two together in one bedroom, teenager in other bedroom, you in sofabed in living room. If one bedroom and living room:-Younger two in the bedroom, teenager shares with you. The main thing is that you can't share room with the toddler, it's your presence that unsettles him.Situation far from ideal and using Rapid Return is more difficult if he is sharing but it can still be done if you all just persist.Main thing to keep in mind is, your situation is temporary and things will improve - soon I hope.

The top option sounds good to me...

The bottom option I went :?

I can't imagine trying to sleep in the same room as my 15yr old. She'd prolly call social services herself and have herself removed.........lol

I am SO lucky in this department. I put babes in her own cot in her own room from 3 months of age. She goes to bed every night BANG on 7pm if not before, awake with a drink. 3 mins later shes asleep (bliss!) about 30mins later she wakes up for a little cry which i ignore then she zooms back off within 5 minutes.
    I change her nappy, and give her a drink when i go to bed, and she stays asleep.She then wakes up between 9 and 10am the next day, and has even been as far as 11am (lush!! lol!)
    My girl NEVER stops, from getting up to going to bed...shes wild....like a whirlwind, so not suprised she is knackered! Also she don't nap during the day, unless were out in the car and she has 10mins.
    One question....how do you and the other half get down and dirty??? I couldn't be able to get "on it" if babes was in the room, even if they were asleep :?

jellybaby22;6925661

i couldnt either....that would just be a bit....oddways round it … i couldnt either....that would just be a bit....oddways round it though...kitchen....sitting room....bathroom..... :whistling:

That's what sending your kids on sleepovers are for.

Shot of Lemon Cello in the last feed :thumbsup::whistling::w00t::-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4074
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846257
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?28110
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764478

See more discussions