How do i get the smell out!!!!

Found 5th Sep 2012
Ive got a Duck feather mattress topper that stinks!
When i bought it, it had a slight smell but i was told it would go.... which it never did, ive had it washed on a 90 at the laundrette & i dried it in the drier too... but now it smells worse than ever! more worser than it did before... any help much apprieciated before i just bin it!!
Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
30 Comments
febreze?
more worser
You bought a used mattress topper?
Shower before you go to bed. It's probably you stinking it up.
greatest666

more worser

You sir, have made me laugh the most today!

Don't bin it BURNNN it!
Washed at 90. Its gona smell like roast duck now. oO
Not 100% how well ig would work if the smell's coming from the inside, but lay out, sprinkle bicarbonate of soda all over, leave for a while to absorb the smell and then shake/vacuum off.
greatest666

more worser

HUKD Misc highlight of the weeeeeeeeeek
danmc

You bought a used mattress topper?

erm.... where did i say it was 2nd hand?
No it isn't.
Few drops of zoflora?
I can only imagine what those bed salesmen were doing before they sold it.
Burn it, them burn it some more.
For everyone's sake...
...burn it.
Please, think of the children.
sameena1

erm.... where did i say it was 2nd hand? No it isn't.

Even worse you've caused the smell
if anything smells in my house, i tend to fart and then smell goes away. try it.
well duck is "fowl" isn`t it?
the_mongoose_man

HUKD Misc highlight of the weeeeeeeeeek

share the joke?
[aviary joke/pun here]

hah
splatsplatsplat

share the joke?

http://i.imgur.com/VupbE.jpg
How old is it - am assuming its quite new? I bought a Northern Nights mattress topper and they said it might have a smell for a day or two and it did. I actually hung it over the washing line on a nice day and the smell went - its the same smell when you get new duck feather pillows. Washing it is you starting again as when I got mines cleaned it had that smell again - and again it got hung out on washing line.

Also, I use this product all over the house including my bedding and it leaves a lovely smell. Costs around £2

http://www.powertoolsdirect.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/o/t/oto-1001-no-vacuum-carpet-upholstery-freshener-summer-flowers-300ml.jpg
I have never actually had to do it myself but I have heard about the supposed sunlight smell killer.
Putting it out in the sun on a hot sunny day. Wouldnt do it at any other times as it might just pick up an extra damp smell

If that still doesnt work consider going back to the store and making your case for a replacement or binning it/making it into a pet blanket
Wash it and use laundry balls to keep the duck feathers from sticking, then stick it out to dry?
@ bossyboots..

yes its new, ive had it on the line in the sun for a couple of days now but the smell just seems to get "worser"
I think i might take it to the laundrette again, then if it still smells bin it. thanks for advice though, might try the spray too, do they sell it in the supermarket?
Edited by: "sameena1" 5th Sep 2012
Adam2050

Wash it and use laundry balls to keep the duck feathers from sticking, … Wash it and use laundry balls to keep the duck feathers from sticking, then stick it out to dry?

ill give them a try.
thanks
sameena1

@ bossyboots..yes its new, ive had it on the line in the sun for a couple … @ bossyboots..yes its new, ive had it on the line in the sun for a couple of days now but the smell just seems to get "worser" I think i might take it to the laundrette again, then if it still smells bin it. thanks for advice though, might try the spray too, do they sell it in the supermarket?

Feather pillows/duvets/toppers etc do normally have a smell about them when new.
The best thing is to air them, so put it outside on the washing line (dry) on a sunny day,
If you are taking it to the laundrette that may make things worse if you are letting it get wet and not drying it properly/fuly through.
If it is still smelly and brand new, contact the shop you bought it from and complain. Don't tell them you took it to the laundrette as they may blame you if you didn't follow the instructions.
I had a feather coushion a few years ago that I washed, I had the same prob nothing worked I had to put it in the bin
Edited by: "miles136" 5th Sep 2012
sameena1

@ bossyboots..yes its new, ive had it on the line in the sun for a couple … @ bossyboots..yes its new, ive had it on the line in the sun for a couple of days now but the smell just seems to get "worser" I think i might take it to the laundrette again, then if it still smells bin it. thanks for advice though, might try the spray too, do they sell it in the supermarket?

Yes you can get that spray in all supermarkets..........but dont throw the topper out - its definitely normal what your smelling and it will fade away completely. Washing it is only stopping the smell from going away! Damp or newly washed duck feathers do stink. Once you get rid of the smell you will have an amazingly comfy mattress topper - they make a massive difference.
Wow... They saw you coming didn't they!

Duck or goose down is used as insulation on top of you, not to make a bed softer.

If you lie on it you will compress it, the down and/or feathers clump so less insulation as the topper won't 'loft' any more.

It's not meant to make the mattress more comfy, go get a memory foam topper if you want that. Or buy a new mattress.
it needs airing not washing.... more than likely damp now so youll never get rid of the smell
Rupz

if anything smells in my house, i tend to fart and then smell goes away. … if anything smells in my house, i tend to fart and then smell goes away. try it.

You really are a vile individual Rupz
sameena1

"When i bought it, it had a slight smell but i was told it would go.... which it never did"

so is it new or not?

putting a feather mattress in a machine is just asking for grief!

bin it is best advice.
Rupz

if anything smells in my house, i tend to fart and then smell goes away. … if anything smells in my house, i tend to fart and then smell goes away. try it.

Op, ask rupz round. He may be willing to fart on your mattress to get rid of the smell. Might be worth a go.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions