Groups

How do I get wee smells out of a kids mattress?

I have bicarb of soda, plain flour, salt, 1001 no vac freshener aerosol, a dyson, a lighter and 2 cans of lynx. Any ideas as to any home remedies? Short of putting my 6 yr old son in nappies, lol.

29 Comments

have to dry in sun,

Fabreeze

Not too sure about human wee. For animals with strong smelling wee scrubbing the area with a mixture of non-bio washing powder & hot water works.

Mod & Ed

Try Simple Solution, it can be bought from a pet shop like pets at home and is used to help train puppies and kittens by removing the smell of urine by breaking down the bacteria in wee, it's also used by cat breeders for their stud boys who tend to spray everywhere.
    My neice used to remove her nappy and wee on the floor, my sister found it to be the best product around, costs from approx £3.49.

vinegar gets rid of the smell of wee and the smell of vinegar fades quickly put some in a spray bottle ,dilute with water and spray over area ,after cleaning it with soap powder and water

Start again buy new mattress and get mattress cover for mattress then get another (these are the full size ones)(you may be able to get them from NHS (you can get 1 getting 2 of them might be harder) use the other to put the quilt into. (full size ones are where the matress fits inside and the same with the quilt)

so you now have a full size cover on mattress and fullsize on the quilt . This way only the pillow and pillow case the quilt cover and the undersheet need to be washed if child wets bed .Then sponge with antiseptic disinfectant to clean plastic covers before putting new undersheet / quilt cover back on.

You could try now with mattress to use quite a bit of antiseptic disinfectant and scrub with sponge to remove as much as you can until you can start a fresh

Original Poster

jeany123;6279744

vinegar gets rid of the smell of wee and the smell of vinegar fades … vinegar gets rid of the smell of wee and the smell of vinegar fades quickly put some in a spray bottle ,dilute with water and spray over area ,after cleaning it with soap powder and water

Yeah wifes not too keen on the smell of vinegar. How quickly do you reckon before it fades?

i was told vinegar works well but the smell of vinegar lasts a couple of days well till it drys out

Bear in mind that the child is going to be sleeping in his bed and you dont need to be introducing anything to his bedding that he might be allergic to or could irritate the skin.

Does he have problems with enuresis? Ie Does he wet the bed frequently?

Has he ever been dry at night? Is it secondary enuresis or primary? ( has he never been dry except for the odd lucky night ).

How often you expect him to wet is going to effect how you need to treat him and treat the bedding etc.

Whatever you do, don't shout at the child or make him feel disappointed in himself in any way at all as this will ultimately defeat the object of him being dry all night. Simply clean him up, clean up the bed and settle him back down to sleep with a cuddle and some reassurance xx

borax

wishihadadonkey;6279737

Try Simple Solution, it can be bought from a pet shop like pets at home … Try Simple Solution, it can be bought from a pet shop like pets at home and is used to help train puppies and kittens by removing the smell of urine by breaking down the bacteria in wee, it's also used by cat breeders for their stud boys who tend to spray everywhere.My neice used to remove her nappy and wee on the floor, my sister found it to be the best product around, costs from approx £3.49.

The non-bio powder and warm water works on teh same principle. Used to work with animals and its cheaper than spending £3 - £4 on a bottle of that stuff.

I was just thinking this. My 4 year old will be dry for a week and can then wet for a week.It is ok on a nice day when I can dry the waterproof sheet but a nightmare in winter. Some days he has to wear his night pants as I can't keep up with the washing. This morning I discovered a rip in the waterproof sheet and guess which bit my son had wet on???!!! Best go find the vinegar out!!

wookiemummy;6279890

I was just thinking this. My 4 year old will be dry for a week and can … I was just thinking this. My 4 year old will be dry for a week and can then wet for a week.It is ok on a nice day when I can dry the waterproof sheet but a nightmare in winter. Some days he has to wear his night pants as I can't keep up with the washing. This morning I discovered a rip in the waterproof sheet and guess which bit my son had wet on???!!! Best go find the vinegar out!!

If he is managing to be dry most nights and then having a few wet nights, make sure you are "lifting" him, to go to the toilet when you go to bed in the night and that he isnt too tired from the days activities to wake when he feels the need to go.

Honestly, if the mattress smelt that badly, I'd buy a new one :oops:

Need a waterproof cover that goes all the way round the mattress and then inbetween the mattress and the bottom sheet I'd put bed sheets to absorb any accidents.

My girls were dry at night easily by 18 months but my eldest son took ages... we still had the occasional accident at 7yrs or so?

All children are different really and boys are generally slower than girls.

If the child has NEVER been dry at night, prolly best to get them checked out by a doc to rule out any issues with the kidneys etc, it'd be just a simple blood test.

If its secondary enuresis, it may be down to them feeling worried or panicked about something so keep in mind whether the child is under stress at all.

i was thinking the same this morning,i normally put p*** sheet on the bed but oh forgot last time he changed the bed,so my 4 yr old wet last night straight through the mattress!my 4 yr old and 6 yr old share a bed they have got bunks but always sleep together on bottom bunk,its a nightmare if one wets as they both need changing
    my 6yr old wets every night even though he wears nappies my 4 yr old is rarely wet,
    tried everything with the 6yr old im just hoping he will grow out of it!

with my mattress i might take it in the garden today and wash it hopefully it should dry in the sun

edjaned;6279942

i was thinking the same this morning,i normally put p*** sheet on the bed … i was thinking the same this morning,i normally put p*** sheet on the bed but oh forgot last time he changed the bed,so my 4 yr old wet last night straight through the mattress!my 4 yr old and 6 yr old share a bed they have got bunks but always sleep together on bottom bunk,its a nightmare if one wets as they both need changingmy 6yr old wets every night even though he wears nappies my 4 yr old is rarely wet,tried everything with the 6yr old im just hoping he will grow out of it!with my mattress i might take it in the garden today and wash it hopefully it should dry in the sun

Best thing is when they get in with you for the night so then the mattress isnt protected and you wake up in the morning with the spreading hot feeling........... ;-)

my nephew is 11 and still wets the bed,my sister took him to doc and he has a nasel spray that works great

Original Poster

ettam123;6280166

my nephew is 11 and still wets the bed,my sister took him to doc and he … my nephew is 11 and still wets the bed,my sister took him to doc and he has a nasel spray that works great

I didnt think of the doctor, you think it could be a medical thing?

generaloneill;6280172

I didnt think of the doctor, you think it could be a medical thing?

Sometimes it is........... but at 6 it is prolly still normal xx

the doc wont do anything until they are 7

Banned

Give the kids peppermint tea............................................................ works a treat

Mod & Ed

Staroffurby;6279881

The non-bio powder and warm water works on teh same principle. Used to … The non-bio powder and warm water works on teh same principle. Used to work with animals and its cheaper than spending £3 - £4 on a bottle of that stuff.

Maybe true, but is poisonous to cats as they absorb it through skin, paws etc

toshapetriji;6280311

Give the kids peppermint … Give the kids peppermint tea............................................................ works a treat

peppermint tea will make you sick if given on an empty stomach xx

Banned

dontasciime;6279767

Start again buy new mattress and get mattress cover for mattress then get … Start again buy new mattress and get mattress cover for mattress then get another (these are the full size ones)(you may be able to get them from NHS (you can get 1 getting 2 of them might be harder) use the other to put the quilt into. (full size ones are where the matress fits inside and the same with the quilt)so you now have a full size cover on mattress and fullsize on the quilt . This way only the pillow and pillow case the quilt cover and the undersheet need to be washed if child wets bed .Then sponge with antiseptic disinfectant to clean plastic covers before putting new undersheet / quilt cover back on.You could try now with mattress to use quite a bit of antiseptic disinfectant and scrub with sponge to remove as much as you can until you can start a fresh

I agree, if it has been wet on alot, then you wont get rid of the smell, it soaks into the mattress and you cannot remove it, get proper mattrss covers, it is easy enough to wash a quilt, not so easy a mattress

sassie;6281477

I agree, if it has been wet on alot, then you wont get rid of the smell, … I agree, if it has been wet on alot, then you wont get rid of the smell, it soaks into the mattress and you cannot remove it, get proper mattrss covers, it is easy enough to wash a quilt, not so easy a mattress

+1 xx

My son wasn't properly dry until he was 7. Pretty much his 7th birthday really. Must have known I'd take him to the doctor then.

wishihadadonkey;6281182

Maybe true, but is poisonous to cats as they absorb it through skin, paws … Maybe true, but is poisonous to cats as they absorb it through skin, paws etc

ahh ok. I just know its friendly to many other animals i have kept, but never having kept a cat!

Banned

you cannot teach a child to control their bladder when asleep, its a natural thing that happens when it happens, just do all the usual things, no drinks after a certain time, plenty beforew that time, lift them before you go to bed etc,etc

Jumpingphil;6283987

Presumably that's to make the mattress smell nicer.:thumbsup:

oh lol! I didnt get that!

thanks for posting this thread i have gotten a few tips from this as my 3yr old wets the bed when she has had too much drinks after 6pm, also my son will be soon to be potty/toilet trained
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Should Cyclists pay road tax and insurance?46
      2. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …5052523
      3. 41% of 40-60 year olds do not go for a brisk walk of >10 minutes A MONTH!1117
      4. word association Game72944199

See more discussions