Groups

How do I import a car from Southern Ireland?

I've tried googling this one but am even more confused now, seems a mine field!
    I want to import a relatives car from Southern Ireland to the UK, it's only a run of the mill 8 year old car but as this person doesn't want it any more they said I could have it.
    I've been trying to find out how to go about it so I've got all the necessary paperwork but am getting completely lost...
    I know the car is in good condition and insured but the tax has run out.
    Any advice much appreciated.

5 Comments

As the car is under 10 years old you'll need an ]SVA, not sure on prices but my brother did the same a couple of years back and it cost him about £300 after a garage did some prep work for him. Spur of the moment with him, thinking he could just drive it over on the ferry lol

Oh, plus then you need to register it for tax, pay import vat and insure it of course. Then he popped back over after it was all done and drove it home

Original Poster

Thanks for that, I don't think the car is worth more thanbout £1500 any idea how much all the things involved would cost?

No idea I'm afraid, your best bet is to speak to VOSA on 0870 60 60 440, found this for you

]link

Original Poster

choc1969;4453928

No idea I'm afraid, your best bet is to speak to VOSA on 0870 60 60 440, … No idea I'm afraid, your best bet is to speak to VOSA on 0870 60 60 440, found this for you]link

Thanks very much, much appreciated, I'll start the groundwork:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Baby seat hiring car abroad23
      2. How to rejoin BT as New Customer when already with them?23
      3. Hamburg at christmas22
      4. Biscuit addiction1645

See more discussions