Expired

How do I increase memory to update Windows?

Found 20th Feb
My laptop was updating automatically and a pop up came up saying not enough memory and that it needs 8gb. There was an option to connect a flash drive or hard drive so that it can update.

I did no have any drives so cancelled updating. When I turn my laptop on it tries to update but says no enough memory. How do I get that initial option to show up again as I have a flash drive now.

TIA.
Community Updates
Ask
10 Comments
I would just upgrade your storage drive as this will become a common issue.
I would just go to settings and cancel automatic updates for the moment until you can sort an external drive out.
Presume this is the disk space and not RAM (running 8gb RAM is not a problem)

If you are down to less than 8gb of disk, you have a number of problems

1. Perhaps not much spare space; open file explorer (windows key + E) right click on C: and go to properties. If you have less than 20% free space on the C: drive, you need to offload files (and if 8gb is 20% of your drive, you have a very small drive). There is a Disk CLeanup button there. That will suggest files you can probably delete (old temp files, old system files no longer needed etc). Look to offload (backup) files to an external drive and have a housekeeping day.

2. Perhaps a fragmented disk (ie like a library with every shelf part filled with clumps of books and not a single case of clear shelves). So long as its not an SSD, defrag the disk. You can use MS Defrag or download the free and much better Defraggler. But of you have so little free space, you may struggle to do this before running step 1
Thanks all above. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 100s so only 32gb hard drive. Theres not much too delete to get 8gb free.

I would like to just sort it for this update for now.

I have tried Disk Cleanup and currently have about 4.5gb free.

When the pop up comes up there is no option to insert flash drive (as before) but just Disk Cleanup.
32gb. Ouch. I dont know how old that is but it raises questions of whether it was fit for purpose.

You may need to consider switching on Compression
If you never hibernate your computer, you could always disable Hibernation.
Then you would gain back some GB's. I think it's the same amount as RAM memory you have installed.
whoMODStheMODS4 h, 41 m ago

Thanks all above. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 100s so only 32gb hard drive. …Thanks all above. It's a Lenovo Ideapad 100s so only 32gb hard drive. Theres not much too delete to get 8gb free.I would like to just sort it for this update for now.I have tried Disk Cleanup and currently have about 4.5gb free.When the pop up comes up there is no option to insert flash drive (as before) but just Disk Cleanup.

Sounds like an EMMC drive. It will never work right so you need to install another drive such as an SSD. 32GB would be fine for Linux but complete crap for Windows 10. I'd recommend a 500GB SSD drive as it will sort out your issues and still be good enough for when you upgrade later on to a new machine.
Thanks guys. It is EMMC. Bought it as cheap laptop. Will increase my memory as recommended. Ta.
whoMODStheMODS2 h, 54 m ago

Thanks guys. It is EMMC. Bought it as cheap laptop. Will increase my …Thanks guys. It is EMMC. Bought it as cheap laptop. Will increase my memory as recommended. Ta.

Shouldn't be too hard to upgrade as the emmc machines where built to be expanded at a later date. It's a cost cutting exercise which gets annoying when you realise you need to buy a storage drive for it pretty much straight away but you're never told this when you buy the product
kester7620th Feb

Shouldn't be too hard to upgrade as the emmc machines where built to be …Shouldn't be too hard to upgrade as the emmc machines where built to be expanded at a later date. It's a cost cutting exercise which gets annoying when you realise you need to buy a storage drive for it pretty much straight away but you're never told this when you buy the product

Thanks. I guess you get what you pay for.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants