Groups

How do I install a Dell driver CAB file unattended?

I have put a fresh install of Windows 8.1 on a new Dell Latitude and have downloaded the CAB file which has the latest drivers.
    Is there a way to install them all via a script rather than manually do each one which is slow and prone to issues from past experience?

13 Comments

Not post install as far as I know but the question really is .... why windows 8 and not 10? The license key on the laptop will activate 10.

Original Poster

japes

Not post install as far as I know.

So how do you use a CAB file when doing a clean install from a bootable ISO?

Agharta

So how do you use a CAB file when doing a clean install from a bootable … So how do you use a CAB file when doing a clean install from a bootable ISO?

​You can extract the cab file (same as extracting a zip file). You could then inject those drivers into your bootable image. Tbh if it's just the 1 laptop it would be much easier extracting the cab file and then point to that folder when updating the drivers in device manager.

Agharta

So how do you use a CAB file when doing a clean install from a bootable … So how do you use a CAB file when doing a clean install from a bootable ISO?

​You don't, you create a bootable wim with the correct drivers. CAB files are designed for bulk deployment of systems not for one off builds.
    Personally when rebuilding systems I load the network drivers so I can get online and allow Windows updates to run, that will install the bulk of device drivers. Any missing ones I then point to the extracted cab file. But again, seriously don't waste time installing 8, go straight to 10

Original Poster

danielcrowhurst

You can extract the cab file (same as extracting a zip file). You could … You can extract the cab file (same as extracting a zip file). You could then inject those drivers into your bootable image. Tbh if it's just the 1 laptop it would be much easier extracting the cab file and then point to that folder when updating the drivers in device manager.

Thanks. As the Dell downloads can include utilities as well as drivers I wasn't sure if that would work but I guess they bundle it all in one?

Original Poster

japes

But again, seriously don't waste time installing 8, go straight to 10

I don't have the time to waste on 10.

Agharta

Thanks. As the Dell downloads can include utilities as well as drivers I … Thanks. As the Dell downloads can include utilities as well as drivers I wasn't sure if that would work but I guess they bundle it all in one?

​Unless you have a specific need to use 1 of the utilities I would just stick to installing the drivers and not worry about them.

Still prefer 7 myself. Won't the OS automatically install any drivers you need via Windows Update?

Original Poster

vaiopup

Won't the OS automatically install any drivers you need via Windows … Won't the OS automatically install any drivers you need via Windows Update?

Not always from experience.
    Edited by: "Agharta" 13th May

Agharta

Not always from experience.

​windows 10 does....

Original Poster

japes

windows 10 does.

I will leave the beta software to the youngsters.

Agharta

I will leave the beta software to the youngsters.

​Have you used 10? 8 was the beta, 10 is the stable release

Original Poster

japes

Have you used 10? 8 was the beta, 10 is the stable release

I have used 10 and it's a rolling beta programme and I don't like it so will happily stick with 8.1.
    YMMV.

Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. is it still possible/easy to add the playstore to a new kindle fire 822
      2. Cheapest Place to Buy Half Decent LED Bulbs - Bayonet & Spots65
      3. DPD international?45
      4. Virgin media sign up69

See more discussions