How Do I Know Which Insurance Company Blocked My Phone?

Posted 12th Feb
I bought an iPhone from a private seller recently and just yesterday, he reported the phone as stolen with an insurance company.
Now, that company has blacklisted and blocked my iPhone.

But I don't know which insurance company it was.

Any idea on how I can find out which insurance company blocked my phone?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
My advice is to turn yourself in.
Say that you're handling stolen goods.
The police might be more helpful that way.
Edited by: "Erudite" 12th Feb
69 Comments
he will have had to have reported it as stolen with the police as generally the insurance company will require a crime reference number in such cases. Depending on how the private sale went, i.e facebook you will have a message chain to show the police that you have bought the phone legally and they have claimed the phone was stolen illegally.
If you have bought the phone on the street you pretty much have no redress.
yeah, all communication was done through phone convo.

But i need to find his own insurance company as they are the ones that blocked me.
Is there any way to find an insurance company through a phone's IMEI or Serial?
Pretty sure It your carrier who blocks the phone, not the insurance company. Try contacting your carrier and see if they can help.
I did contact my carrier and they said its not them. I called Apple and they said it still shows as unlocked to all networks and so they think its the Insurance Company that blocked it.
Why do you need to find out which company?
Your main issue is that the original owner of the phone reported it lost/stolen so you need to take it up with whoever you purchased it from as once a phone is blocked theirs very little you can do except selling it outside of the country or selling it for parts.

You'll need to take the seller to small claims court I believe if they refuses to refund you but maybe somebody else on here knows otherwise.

Also have you done a CheckMend to see why it was blocked: checkmend.com/ as this should give you more information
Edited by: "emodan" 12th Feb
The original owner pretends he doesn't even know me anymore.
He is a complete evil scammer.

So now I have to find the insurance company as they seem the only people that can unblock the phone.
UKJet12/02/2020 14:09

The original owner pretends he doesn't even know me anymore.He is a …The original owner pretends he doesn't even know me anymore.He is a complete evil scammer.So now I have to find the insurance company as they seem the only people that can unblock the phone.

How will you evidence to the insurer you legitimately own it?
I don’t think there’s a way to do it. The only thing you can try is write an letter to all the insurance company’s that you can find explaining the situation. But don’t hold your breath for a solution or a reply.
UKJet12/02/2020 13:58

yeah, all communication was done through phone convo. But i need to find …yeah, all communication was done through phone convo. But i need to find his own insurance company as they are the ones that blocked me.Is there any way to find an insurance company through a phone's IMEI or Serial?

The network blocks the phone ultimately and they won’t tell you who requested it to be blocked as according to them you are not their client and don’t have an account with this phone/number. How do you know he reported it stolen? He might have just stopped paying the bill.
JumpMan198012/02/2020 14:11

How will you evidence to the insurer you legitimately own it?

An insurance company called me the other day to discuss a stolen phone. I thought it was a crank call and so I hung up.
Ahhh - regrets!
You’ve been done.

The only way to try and resolve it is to go back to the seller and try work something out such as threatening to go to the police and small claims court.
This is why time and time again on here when people saying ‘how do I protect myself when buying a secondhand phone’ the advice is overwhelmingly ‘walk away, don’t do it’.

What you can now do is also tell people about your issues so other people don’t get stung. The more people realise about secondhand phones being blocked hopefully less people get defrauded and scammed.
Edited by: "sicklysweet" 12th Feb
Sadly, he came to my house instead of me going to his house.
UKJet12/02/2020 14:14

Sadly, he came to my house instead of me going to his house.

Do you have a genuine Facebook page for him?
It may seem like a waste of time, and probably will be, but log it with action fraud online.
Then if you have a CRN (crime reference number) if you can find him on Facebook or wherever hopefully there’s more pressure for him to act.
I've reported it to police and action fraud.
I found him on Shpock.
UKJet12/02/2020 14:22

I've reported it to police and action fraud. I found him on Shpock.

Have you also contacted Shpock so his account gets blocked?

Sorry to hear you’re going through this btw, must feel really gutting.

Try and get his details and then do small claims court.
Yeah, I reported it to Shpock, but I suspect he gave them a false name and address as he gave me.
On shpock do you have reviews for past sales?

Can you contact anyone who may have bought something and collected from their house?

Get investigating and keep going, as there has to be a trail somewhere
UKJet12/02/2020 14:25

Yeah, I reported it to Shpock, but I suspect he gave them a false name and …Yeah, I reported it to Shpock, but I suspect he gave them a false name and address as he gave me.

Any cameras around that might have caught his car registration number if he drove to you? Or his face? Do you have a Ring doorbell that has his face recorded?
Was just wondering if there is a way to backtrace and contact the insurance company that blocked my phone
sicklysweet12/02/2020 14:28

Any cameras around that might have caught his car registration number if …Any cameras around that might have caught his car registration number if he drove to you? Or his face? Do you have a Ring doorbell that has his face recorded?

Sadly none
UKJet12/02/2020 14:28

Was just wondering if there is a way to backtrace and contact the …Was just wondering if there is a way to backtrace and contact the insurance company that blocked my phone

Not a chance they’ll talk to you. Data protection.
Check his account on shpock
Find if he bought sold to others
Conatct then people try to get an address for sales they picked up maybe from him etc
He's already said, come with the Police, I don't care.

I don't think his address is correct.
abdul512/02/2020 14:41

Check his account on shpock Find if he bought sold to othersConatct then …Check his account on shpock Find if he bought sold to othersConatct then people try to get an address for sales they picked up maybe from him etc

Good idea, I'll ask Shpock to help me with that.
My advice is to turn yourself in.
Say that you're handling stolen goods.
The police might be more helpful that way.
Edited by: "Erudite" 12th Feb
The seller was no doubt NOT the original owner. He has sold a stolen phone to you.
For future reference (not just for yourself), never allow a seller to drop something off to you. They may seem helpful but you have no way of tracing them.
Spock is also fb when making a account
Try ringing avviva as they are the biggest insurance provider / under writer and they always show you on tv a programme claimed and shamed so watch that
Misslovely12/02/2020 15:05

Spock is also fb when making a account Try ringing avviva as they are the …Spock is also fb when making a account Try ringing avviva as they are the biggest insurance provider / under writer and they always show you on tv a programme claimed and shamed so watch that

Unfortunately there is ZERO chance of a company unblocking a stolen phone that you have purchased. Otherwise people could claim it stolen and then give it to a friend.
Sorry
It's so sad that there's so many dirty scammers around, but you know what they say.......
Buy cheap, buy twice.
smashed12/02/2020 15:14

Unfortunately there is ZERO chance of a company unblocking a stolen phone …Unfortunately there is ZERO chance of a company unblocking a stolen phone that you have purchased. Otherwise people could claim it stolen and then give it to a friend.:( Sorry

Well if it’s fraud and he has evidence maybe in 2 months patience he might get his mobile back and the seller being done for fraud

It’s taken very seriously you know
Misslovely12/02/2020 15:27

Well if it’s fraud and he has evidence maybe in 2 months patience he might …Well if it’s fraud and he has evidence maybe in 2 months patience he might get his mobile back and the seller being done for fraud It’s taken very seriously you know

I guess the seller could have purchased a contract and then claimed it was stolen but they would have to be pretty stupid to do that.
UKJet12/02/2020 14:13

An insurance company called me the other day to discuss a stolen phone. I …An insurance company called me the other day to discuss a stolen phone. I thought it was a crank call and so I hung up.Ahhh - regrets!

The insurance company wants it's property back if it's paid the claimant. Very public spirited of you to offer to return the phone to the insurance company, although it appears it is no longer your phone to return.
AndyRoyd12/02/2020 15:45

The insurance company wants it's property back if it's paid the claimant. …The insurance company wants it's property back if it's paid the claimant. Very public spirited of you to offer to return the phone to the insurance company, although it appears it is no longer your phone to return.

*was never
Get someone else with a shpock account to message him as a buyer, completely unrelated. That’s the best way to obtain his address.

By the way, sorry for what you’ve gone through. Not nice at all x
cuzzy12/02/2020 13:59

Pretty sure It your carrier who blocks the phone, not the insurance …Pretty sure It your carrier who blocks the phone, not the insurance company. Try contacting your carrier and see if they can help.

This is true. The insurance will want you to provide evidence from the network that a imei blacklist has been applied to the handset.

My iphone 5s which i purchased from the apple store some how managed to get blacklisted last year but no-one knows whom done it and is impossible to remove even though i can prove it is my handset, paid with my credit card.
UKJet12/02/2020 14:42

He's already said, come with the Police, I don't care.I don't think his …He's already said, come with the Police, I don't care.I don't think his address is correct.

If you PM me the supposed name & address I'll check it out for you in the morning
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants