Groups

how do i make something spin? (help please)

ive made a speaker housing like a ufo for a project. I want to make a base that spins to put it on. Like a lazy susan but smaller (bit like a spinning wheel) I could then put the speaker onto the spinning wheel type thing and turn it so it spins whilst playing music!! How could i make one the easiest? or buy one cheaply? the speaker is only 17cm diameter and obviously the wheel doesnt have to be that big, just needs a big enough surface area to balance the 17cm on.

28 Comments

spins whilst playing music - sounds like one of those old record player thingys

Original Poster

DAMNOME;6993143

spins whilst playing music - sounds like one of those old record player … spins whilst playing music - sounds like one of those old record player thingys

no its not liek that.. it doesnt play records:oops: it plays off ipods etc. Anyqay basically all i need is a base that i can put this on (make/buy) that i can attach and spin. no electric motors or anything involved just pushing power.

Original Poster

someone must know what im looking for? :l

how will you manage with the cables geting twisted when the speaker is spinning?

Maybe the mechanism from a childs spinning top toy?
    http://ultimatetoysandgifts.com/images/Spinning_Top.jpg

Original Poster

i must be explaining this really badly.
    the speaker is already housed.
    i am now looking for a seperate board (base) that can spin. ie 2 pieces of wood with a bearing in middle. Ill then just put the already housed speaker onto the base and spin it. Pretty simple.

GentleTouch;6993297

i must be explaining this really badly.the speaker is already housed.i am … i must be explaining this really badly.the speaker is already housed.i am now looking for a seperate board (base) that can spin. ie 2 pieces of wood with a bearing in middle. Ill then just put the already housed speaker onto the base and spin it. Pretty simple.

2 pieces of mdf and some ballbearings then

Original Poster

donnydude;6993317

2 pieces of mdf and some ballbearings then

how do i put the ball bearings together though?

Original Poster

or can i buy them allready together so i can just attach the mdf to eitehr side and woohay it spins?

GentleTouch;6993328

how do i put the ball bearings together though?

use a router to route out a circular groove in 1 piece of mdf. put ballbearings into the groove (they would need to be slightly bigger than the depth of the groove. drill a hole in the middle of the bottom mdf, cut out a circle of mdf with another hole in the middle, insert a metal rod or something to create an axel. plonk the circular mdf on the rod and hey presto she spins

Original Poster

i only want the spinnign mechanism (bearings) and i will add my own top/bottom in mdf or plastic. so preferably just that rather than a whole board like the above argos thingy.

Original Poster

donnydude;6993388

use a router to route out a circular groove in 1 piece of mdf. put … use a router to route out a circular groove in 1 piece of mdf. put ballbearings into the groove (they would need to be slightly bigger than the depth of the groove. drill a hole in the middle of the bottom mdf, cut out a circle of mdf with another hole in the middle, insert a metal rod or something to create an axel. plonk the circular mdf on the rod and hey presto she spins

so do i need just one bearing and a little metal rod?

Original Poster

GentleTouch;6993428

leemole101;6993375

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10001&catalogId=1500001801&langId=-1&searchTerms=twist+board&Submit=GO+%3E that do the job ?

Seen these in the poundshop

can you not use an old CD or DVD with something in the middle like a cone shape...
    look around the house - must be something you can find

GentleTouch;6993428

no fill the groove with ballbearings and just use the metal rod as an axel to pivot the top mdf on

exactly like the lazy susan

Original Poster

donnydude;6993501

no fill the groove with ballbearings and just use the metal rod as an … no fill the groove with ballbearings and just use the metal rod as an axel to pivot the top mdf on

i really dont understand this lol and if i use a cd stand thingy to spin on it wont spin for very long plus i wont of made myself - can you point me out to what i need to buy?

GentleTouch;6993524

i really dont understand this lol and if i use a cd stand thingy to spin … i really dont understand this lol and if i use a cd stand thingy to spin on it wont spin for very long plus i wont of made myself - can you point me out to what i need to buy?

ill draw a picture later but its just like a lazy susan

Original Poster

donnydude;6993589

ill draw a picture later but its just like a lazy susan

thankyou so much!

Original Poster

wait i think i got it, if i buy a bearing liek a wheel bearing is one side still (attach to bottom) and the otehr side spins allready (attach to other side) resulting in bottom staying still whilst the top spins around? prebuilt like that?

Original Poster

you see the silver bearing here, is that how i would buy it? obviously smaller because my thing is only 17cm diamater
    youtube.com/wat…a0c

what about using an old stripped down hard drive ? ]stripped down hd

try looking round ]Instructables might be some ideas on there.

GentleTouch;6993657

you see the silver bearing here, is that how i would buy it? obviously … you see the silver bearing here, is that how i would buy it? obviously smaller because my thing is only 17cm diamaterhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iop9kND9a0c

Goonieman;6993705

A ]lazy susan bearing?

thats it sorted
    good price as well

Original Poster

woo thankyou so much!!

Original Poster

i think the 3 inch is perfectly good for a 17cm base?
    btw im repping you all
    just realised the carrier charge is about 4 pound

Try your local DIY shop, thats just the first link i found.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HDUK home for Star Trek: Discovery66
      2. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow919
      3. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…7251372
      4. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would31125

See more discussions