Groups

how do I play avi's on my ps2?

my ps2 isnt modded, but I know it can be done as I have seen replies on threads about it on other forums when iv googled, about having some kind of software on whatever u are running the avi off. the instructions they give to people is confusing me thow, I dont understand what they mean, or the replies are just confusing and im just getting myself into a muddle im not very tech savvy or anything, and these threads are many years old so theres no use replying to any of them. would anyone here mind helping me please.

16 Comments

It will need to be softmodded with avi codecs

Original Poster

jonny619447

It will need to be softmodded with avi codecs

i have no idea what that means really, but on other forums it does say that the ps2 doesnt need to be modded, you have to have a certain software on the flash drive/hard drive or disc, however, i dont understand the instructions from there

tatemze

i have no idea what that means really, but on other forums it does say … i have no idea what that means really, but on other forums it does say that the ps2 doesnt need to be modded, you have to have a certain software on the flash drive/hard drive or disc, however, i dont understand the instructions from there

A soft mod, just means there is no hardware involved. you just need to add the codecs to the onboard memory

Original Poster

jonny619447

A soft mod, just means there is no hardware involved. you just need to … A soft mod, just means there is no hardware involved. you just need to add the codecs to the onboard memory

ahhh, i hear the word mod and think of rewiring or adding hardware etc
    do u know what 'codecs' i use, there seems to be a few programs mentioned, but wouldnt know which to try, the one called sms has mixed reviews, some say it makes avis freeze, or lag

It may be easier just to convert your avi files to dvd format, done a little research and standard dvd's read "DVD-Video's MPEG-2"

Just have a look for a free tool that will convert avi to the above.

If it makes avi files freeze its because they were never designed to run them.

Edited by: "jonny619447" 13th Jun 2011

Original Poster

jonny619447

It may be easier just to convert your avi files to dvd format, done a … It may be easier just to convert your avi files to dvd format, done a little research and standard dvd's read "DVD-Video's MPEG-2"Just have a look for a free tool that will convert avi to the above.

i want 2 convert them to mpeg-2, correct?
    i was hoping to run them off a usb or hard drive, not a disc, as i dont think i have any, and want to watch something tonight (at my dads house, like being in the dark ages)

Original Poster

i do have the cables to watch files off my laptop onto the tv, but we watched a film sat nite and it was jittery, iv done this before when I had a hp presario lappy, but my hp dv6 doesnt seem to be transferring them as smoothly

Have you got a usb input on your tv?

Original Poster

jonny619447

Have you got a usb input on your tv?

no, iv just checked as i thought u mite ask

Ok, so your options are

1)Get a converter to conver your files (hopefully someone can recommend one)
    2)Softmod your ps2 (wouldn't recommend it, or you could **** it up)
    3)Come into the 21st century and get a decent dvd player, lol.

Edited by: "jonny619447" 13th Jun 2011

Original Poster

jonny619447

Ok, so your options are 1)Get a converter to conver your files (hopefully … Ok, so your options are 1)Get a converter to conver your files (hopefully someone can recommend one) 2)Softmod your ps2 (wouldn't recommend it, or you could **** it up)3)Come into the 21st century and get a decent dvd player, lol.

haha, my dad still has a video player(2 actually), and his dvd player doesnt even like to play proper dvds! I've lived with him a while and always just watched films off my lappy, but since buying a new laptop (much higher spec i mite add) theyv gone jittery, sound is fine, just the visual, and i just decided i want to watch something tonight thats all, so wanted an option that doesnt require me going out n spending money. do u think using hdmi instead of the others (is it vga?) would improve the laptop-tv

oh n iv lent my older lappy to my mum, otherwise id just use that

Edited by: "tatemze" 13th Jun 2011

what tv was you watching it on then? tv/monitor?

If your laptop and TV has HDMI, I would try that. HDMI has a higher transfer rate then VGA and may work better.

Original Poster

jonny619447

what tv was you watching it on then? tv/monitor?If your laptop and TV has … what tv was you watching it on then? tv/monitor?If your laptop and TV has HDMI, I would try that. HDMI has a higher transfer rate then VGA and may work better.

just a flat screen tv, 32 or 37" couldnt tell u whether its lcd or plasma
    laptop and tv has hdmi
    used same cables and same tv before, only thing different is the laptop, and the files play fine just watching them on the laptop itself, they are only 700mb avi files, i never download massive file avis, the better quality is wasted on me

more and more things are making me wish i didnt buy this laptop
    Edited by: "tatemze" 13th Jun 2011

Original Poster

dcx_badass

Rubbish, VGA can do up to 2048×1536px @85 Hz a dvd is only 720 × 576 @ 5 … Rubbish, VGA can do up to 2048×1536px @85 Hz a dvd is only 720 × 576 @ 50hz, so is nothing in comparisson.Anyway OP, just buy a sumvision cyclone micro 2+ for under £30 and use that instead.

so it must be the laptop thats making the film jittery?? any idea why?
    when i have some money i will invest in a media player (or whatever the above is) but for the time being, one has to make do, and i wanted to watch something tonight

Download VLC player, plays all reconigsed files, maybe the film was jittery cos the media player needed up to date codecs, VLC is probably the best media player out there and its free

Original Poster

boabbyrab

Download VLC player, plays all reconigsed files, maybe the film was … Download VLC player, plays all reconigsed files, maybe the film was jittery cos the media player needed up to date codecs, VLC is probably the best media player out there and its free

was using gom player, iv always found it the best for me, and its easy to adjust the audio sync if its off, and i only downloaded it a couple of weeks ago. runs fine when watching on the laptop screen, just on the tv. it was just like flickery, only noticed when it like panned round a scene, or zoomed in, credits etc, hard to explain
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Tv choice magazine Issue 3955
      2. Win a Free minion usb stick22
      3. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains66
      4. Magazine competitions - Issue 37 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk2020

See more discussions