How do I post a 27" iMac with insurance?

Posted 24th Apr
As the title - I'm looking to sell my 27" 5k 2017 iMac in the original box, but can't find a courier that will insure it.

Anyone know of a courier that will insure an iMac? Obviously Apple are able to delivery them to customers, so there must be a courier that will? Not sure who Apple uses, but I've checked most of them.

Cheers for any help.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
I’d not even consider trying to sell something like that remotely. It will only end in tears. Either damaged in transit or scammed with no money.
28 Comments
Apple use DPD to deliver them, but they won't cover them if you're sending them as a private customer.

Best way is to try and sell it through Gumtree or Facebook, you might get a few quid less but there's no hassle and worry about it breaking
I’d not even consider trying to sell something like that remotely. It will only end in tears. Either damaged in transit or scammed with no money.
Cakeboy7924/04/2020 22:04

Apple use DPD to deliver them, but they won't cover them if you're sending …Apple use DPD to deliver them, but they won't cover them if you're sending them as a private customer.Best way is to try and sell it through Gumtree or Facebook, you might get a few quid less but there's no hassle and worry about it breaking

Cheers. I feel eBay is the safest place as the money is a bit more protected etc - I'm currently selling it locally but was hoping to open it up for postage. I don't have facebook, but I could try Gumtree and hope there's no scammers etc. I'll probably give eBay a couple of weeks 1st though.
What's the value?.
Cubey24/04/2020 22:11

Cheers. I feel eBay is the safest place as the money is a bit more …Cheers. I feel eBay is the safest place as the money is a bit more protected etc - I'm currently selling it locally but was hoping to open it up for postage. I don't have facebook, but I could try Gumtree and hope there's no scammers etc. I'll probably give eBay a couple of weeks 1st though.

eBay isn’t safe at all. Even with PayPal, everyone sides with the buyer if they even claim it goes wrong.
Only take cash on collection or delivery personally to their address. Only flexibility I’ve ever allowed was a bank transfer while they were standing talking to me, goods still in my possession. Then I checked my account for cleared funds and handed it over.
Don't sell on ebay at the minute .
They side with the buyer every time .
You can pay for a £50 insured delivery but bottom line is no delivery service is getting customer to sign.
So they could buy and then say it didn't arrive . They would get 100% refund not a problem .
Oneday7724/04/2020 22:15

eBay isn’t safe at all. Even with PayPal, everyone sides with the buyer if …eBay isn’t safe at all. Even with PayPal, everyone sides with the buyer if they even claim it goes wrong.

Yea, I've read a few stories about it. It seems for pickup, it's best to get the buyer to send a ebay message to say that it's been checked and received, so it's recorded, when picked up.
Cubey24/04/2020 22:16

£1200

Don’t risk posting it as no doubt buyer will say it hadn’t turned up log a claim and the money will be taken back from you and given to them. Money back and a free iMac.
Cubey24/04/2020 22:17

Yea, I've read a few stories about it. It seems for pickup, it's best to …Yea, I've read a few stories about it. It seems for pickup, it's best to get the buyer to send a ebay message to say that it's been checked and received, so it's recorded, when picked up.

If anyone collects or you deliver personally, never accept PayPal, not even a deposit. Enough stories if you search on here to agree with that sentiment. It does hurt your ability to sell but 100% scammed is way worse than 90% or what you want.
MrWalle24/04/2020 22:18

Don’t risk posting it as no doubt buyer will say it hadn’t turned up log a …Don’t risk posting it as no doubt buyer will say it hadn’t turned up log a claim and the money will be taken back from you and given to them. Money back and a free iMac.

Don’t forget, arrived but Broken. eBay tells the to return and it comes back, same weight but full of sand to make it the same on the postage scaled.
MrWalle24/04/2020 22:18

Don’t risk posting it as no doubt buyer will say it hadn’t turned up log a …Don’t risk posting it as no doubt buyer will say it hadn’t turned up log a claim and the money will be taken back from you and given to them. Money back and a free iMac.

Yea, this is what worries me. So it's a cash or bank transfer only option then to sell the iMac... that doesn't go down well with most, I'd imagine. It certainly puts me off when someone asking for it on eBay, but I suppose with Gumtree, it's the only option.
What's the exact model?
Why not look at something like macback.co.uk instead? That is who I used for mine and I was really impressed with their prices - I probably could have got a little bit more on eBay but as others have said its just not worth the risk. Even a bank transfer is not 100% safe if eBay decide something is wrong with it.

I'm also pretty sure they've posted some small offers on Facebook today if you have a look (nothing huge but extra tenner here and there).
Oh gumtree is fun when you try to sell something expensive as you’ll get umpteen requests all scams to buy via PayPal and there friend will pick it up as there overseas etc. The last time someone asked me to sell I said no probs come view the item or your friend can come view then you can make payment via PayPal and take it away. I knew it was a scam anyway so I told them my address not my real address I gave them the local police stations details funny never heard from them after that.
Cubey24/04/2020 22:26

Yea, this is what worries me. So it's a cash or bank transfer only option …Yea, this is what worries me. So it's a cash or bank transfer only option then to sell the iMac... that doesn't go down well with most, I'd imagine. It certainly puts me off when someone asking for it on eBay, but I suppose with Gumtree, it's the only option.

What’s trade in prices like?
MrWalle24/04/2020 22:33

What’s trade in prices like?

£535 on that MacBack site... :/ I saw someone sell a lesser model than mine for £1300 on eBay for posting. I messaged them asking how they were doing it, but they never replied.
I wouldn’t risk it. Cash on collection only.
Cubey24/04/2020 22:45

£535 on that MacBack site... :/ I saw someone sell a lesser model than …£535 on that MacBack site... :/ I saw someone sell a lesser model than mine for £1300 on eBay for posting. I messaged them asking how they were doing it, but they never replied.

What model is it that your selling?
Don’t sell this on eBay, don’t accept anything other than cash on collection when you do sell it, and make sure the person buying it is the person collecting it and not his mate with a van as he is out of the country/having a baby/injured in hospital/undercover/disabled and can’t attend etc. This type of item is prime scam territory and you will be left without any mac or money.
ArcadeAssassin24/04/2020 22:54

Don’t sell this on eBay, don’t accept anything other than cash on col …Don’t sell this on eBay, don’t accept anything other than cash on collection when you do sell it, and make sure the person buying it is the person collecting it and not his mate with a van as he is out of the country/having a baby/injured in hospital/undercover/disabled and can’t attend etc. This type of item is prime scam territory and you will be left without any mac or money.

ok, cheers. I can see this taking a while to sell this. At least with PCs, we can sell them in parts and are a lot easier to post
Edited by: "Cubey" 24th Apr
Cubey24/04/2020 22:59

2017 5k 27"

Do you know what processor and ram?

Was just looking at prices for you that's all
Edited by: "stefos89" 24th Apr
stefos8924/04/2020 23:05

Do you know what processor and ram?Was just looking at prices for you …Do you know what processor and ram?Was just looking at prices for you that's all

ok, ta. i5 7500 3.4ghz, 16gb ddr4, 256 ssd. I've looked at what others are selling there's at to get a guide on my pricing
Cubey24/04/2020 23:14

ok, ta. i5 7500 3.4ghz, 16gb ddr4, 256 ssd. I've looked at what others are …ok, ta. i5 7500 3.4ghz, 16gb ddr4, 256 ssd. I've looked at what others are selling there's at to get a guide on my pricing

Just checked music magpie but they are only offering £880.
stefos8924/04/2020 23:35

Just checked music magpie but they are only offering £880.

Didn't think about trying Music Magpie actually. Still £300 short, but only going to get around 1200 when sold privately anyway. Cheers though.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions