Groups

How do I redirect one website to another?

I have a web site working fine a.co.uk I also have a website b.co.uk. I want b.co.uk to be found by search engines but redirect the user to a.co.uk.

Can I do this? b.co.uk is a basic 123-reg.co.uk domain. I have managed to get it to redirect using the 123-reg domain control panel but how do I get search engines to find b.co.uk when all the info is on a.co.uk?

I only have a starter instasite account so how can I enter the keywords etc for search engines to find?

Hope that makes sense

Any help greatly appreciated

11 Comments

redirect is difficult, best easy way is to open b within a frame on a if that makes sense?

At the top of the html put:

where X is the number of seconds you want the page to wait before it redirects.

Consider adding in a comment like

You are now leaving [url]www.a.co.uk[/url] if this does not happen in 5 seconds click here

In this senario X is 5 and the here has an href to [url]www.b.co.uk[/url].

Hope this is what you want.

If your using ASP then you could do:

Response.Redirect "http://www.a.co.uk"
    %>

Original Poster

Thanks I'll have a play with what you have suggested. Does anyone know if I can manually ftp stuff to my 123-reg.co.uk web site or do I have to use their instant site builder?

tgbyhn10;2396490

Thanks I'll have a play with what you have suggested. Does anyone know if … Thanks I'll have a play with what you have suggested. Does anyone know if I can manually ftp stuff to my 123-reg.co.uk web site or do I have to use their instant site builder?

If you are hosting the site with them then yes otherwise you'll just own the domain and you'll need to obtain a hosting package

Original Poster

I registered the domain with them and have the starter package detailed here 123-reg.co.uk/ins…te/
    Would someone take a look and tell me if I need to purchase anyhting else?
    All I want it to do is be picked up by search engines so I need to have something like keywords on there and then redirect to my other site.
    Do I need a hosting package too? As there is almost no data / bandwidth required I was hoping the free instantsite thing would be sufficient.

Yeah you have everything you need - I'm not sure if you have any hosting space to connect to, if you did they will have emailed you the details. It looks as though the starter package just provides you with a single page and you have to use one of the templates they provide - should tell you more info when using the InstantSite software.

Original Poster

Thanks
    I don't think I can FTP to the instantsite area. I think I'll need a hosting package, would this be suitable? 123-reg.co.uk/web…tml

tgbyhn10;2396624

ThanksI don't think I can FTP to the instantsite area. I think I'll need … ThanksI don't think I can FTP to the instantsite area. I think I'll need a hosting package, would this be suitable? http://www.123-reg.co.uk/web-hosting/starter.shtml

Yeah that should be fine for a single site :thumbsup:

Original Poster

red_dwarfer;2399196

Yeah that should be fine for a single site :thumbsup:

Actually, is there anything stopping me putting 2 very small sites on this?

Banned

SunTzu;2395962

redirect is difficult, best easy way is to open b within a frame on a if … redirect is difficult, best easy way is to open b within a frame on a if that makes sense?

lol no it isn't difficult at all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. O2 priority £1 lunch to end for good77
      2. Your dream gaming set up?2760
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4562135
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764691

See more discussions