How do I remove my old letter box?

Found 9th Mar 2016
I have a UPVC front door with a metal letter box in it. The postman accidently broke the hinge flap on the inside of the door. I'm looking at getting a replacement box but on looking at it, I can't see how it is secured to the front door - I can't see any screws! Can somebody tell me how to remove the unit please? Thank you.
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
you need a Harley street plastic surgeon
The UPVC letter boxes are usually held in with two or more screws the heads of which are located either side of the draught exclusion brush [see image below].They may have a small plastic cover over the screw head which you will need to prize off to get access
https://i.gyazo.com/5308ac5ee70b338b7d779b3498335679.png

https://i.gyazo.com/3d406e8f9f99817987c21d33f84be0f4.png

Edited by: "arachnoid" 9th Mar 2016
Original Poster
arachnoid

The UPVC letter boxes are usually held in with two or more screws the … The UPVC letter boxes are usually held in with two or more screws the heads of which are located either side of the draught exclusion brush [see image below].They may have a small plastic cover over the screw head which you will need to prize off to get access

Looking at the diagram, am I right in thinking that the screws are inserted from the exterior side of the door (not from indoors)? Thank you.
Original Poster
davewave

Let me google that for you

Thank you for the video link, now understand how to do it - off to buy one now as the wind howling through my letterbox today is terrible!
might be cheaper on eb~y
Original Poster
Bought one from Screwfix today, however, I got it home to find that it is too deep for the thickness of the door. The measurements in the catalogue only stated the height and width, so I assumed that all UPVC doors were a standard thickness, obviously not. I will have to take it back tomorrow and try elsewhere for one, at least, I know how to replace one now with all of your help.
I had the same problem and kept getting it blowing in the wind and thenletter box tap, tap, tapping. When I eventually unscrewed it I found it had so much glue on it that I couldn't get it out without smashing it apart. I decided against it and found that when I lifted the letter box from the outside the two internal supports bar had snapped. I just moved the two snapped supports so that they were pressed back in place and the noise has stopped. I still have to do it every now and again but it was a much easier solution. Hope it helps.
Sophiasky

Bought one from Screwfix today, however, I got it home to find that it is … Bought one from Screwfix today, however, I got it home to find that it is too deep for the thickness of the door. The measurements in the catalogue only stated the height and width, so I assumed that all UPVC doors were a standard thickness, obviously not. I will have to take it back tomorrow and try elsewhere for one, at least, I know how to replace one now with all of your help.

They fit different thickness doors you need to cut down the black inside bit so the 2 halfs join up for the thickness of your door, see the picture posted by arachnoid the telescopic sleave and the inner plate can be cut shorter

Edited by: "ding" 9th Mar 2016
Original Poster
ding

They fit different thickness doors you need to cut down the black inside … They fit different thickness doors you need to cut down the black inside bit so the 2 halfs join up for the thickness of your door, see the picture posted by arachnoid the telescopic sleave and the inner plate can be cut shorter

The piece that actually fits through the slot (from the inside) is about 2" deep and the thickness of my door is 1". I tried pushing the two pieces together to then screw, but the piece on the outside of the door was jutting out about 1" and wouldn't push in any further. You say they can be cut shorter - what tool would I have to use to do this - would a hacksaw work? Thank you.
Hacksaw would work fine
Original Poster
ding

Hacksaw would work fine

I've had a look on-line and it seems that for my type of door I should have bought one with a panel fitting (thickness of 20-40 mm). The one I have bought is a midrail fitting (thickness of 40-80 mm). I probably will have to saw off half of it, but don't know how successful that will be - rough edges and possibly splitting the plastic.
Sophiasky

I've had a look on-line and it seems that for my type of door I should … I've had a look on-line and it seems that for my type of door I should have bought one with a panel fitting (thickness of 20-40 mm). The one I have bought is a midrail fitting (thickness of 40-80 mm). I probably will have to saw off half of it, but don't know how successful that will be - rough edges and possibly splitting the plastic.

If in doubt then best take it back
Original Poster
ding

If in doubt then best take it back

Thank you for your advice, much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants