Groups

How do i restore my laptop to factory settings?

Hiya, my laptop has been driving me mad for ages, clicking on and off, the keyboard getting all messed up and being slow and so on, how do i restore to factory settings?
    I know this will delete everything btw!! But i'm so sick of my laptop being annoying!!
    Im on Windows Vista...

Thank you xx

17 Comments

If it's quite a recent change then you could try a System Restore
    If you just want things as they were when you first used it then you will have to reinstall Windows

but you probably just have a ton of trojans etc from limewire or similar, and never defrag.

Original Poster

no trojans, i already got a really good firewall...
    id have to install windows again? really?

*katie*;5944360

no trojans, i already got a really good firewall...id have to install … no trojans, i already got a really good firewall...id have to install windows again? really?

A firewall won't block everything, you will need an anti-virus program, do you have one?
    i recommend Avast antivirus, i have used it for years without a single problem.
    Reinstalling Windows should always be the last option in my opinion, and i have always managed to fix problems without reformating.
    I would say give the antivirus a try and give the comeputer a complete scan, which could take a few hours but it's worth it, and you should see a big difference

The obvious question first...what make and model is the laptop?

John

Original Poster

DarkKnight;5944397

A firewall won't block everything, you will need an anti-virus program, … A firewall won't block everything, you will need an anti-virus program, do you have one?i recommend Avast antivirus, i have used it for years without a single problem.Reinstalling Windows should always be the last option in my opinion, and i have always managed to fix problems without reformating. I would say give the antivirus a try and give the comeputer a complete scan, which could take a few hours but it's worth it, and you should see a big difference

Ive got avast, thats what i use anyway, and i do check ups every day ...and full scan once a week...

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;5944422

The obvious question first...what make and model is the laptop?John

Dell Studio 1737

*katie*;5944426

Ive got avast, thats what i use anyway, and i do check ups every day … Ive got avast, thats what i use anyway, and i do check ups every day ...and full scan once a week...

Ah ok, that's good then, you shouldn't have a virus problem if you are doing that i think
    Could you give some more details on the problems you are having with the laptop then?

Original Poster

DarkKnight;5944438

Ah ok, that's good then, you shouldn't have a virus problem if you are … Ah ok, that's good then, you shouldn't have a virus problem if you are doing that i thinkCould you give some more details on the problems you are having with the laptop then?

shutting down, i dont have things on here that was here when i first got the laptop....all things r jiggling around my screen...when i type the keyboard will go down to the next row and type there instead grr!
    amongst other stuff, basically running slow, and crashing too, but i definately have no virus or trojans x

Hi,

First off I would try the suggestion to use "system restore", this might correct some of your problems.
    To do so;
    Go to "start"
    Go to "Programs"
    Go to "Accessories"
    Go to "System Toools"
    Go to "System Restore"

The wizard will start and ask you to choose a date, choose one from before you started having problems. Finish the wizard and your laptop will re-start.

Check to see if everything is working the way you want.

IF not, then you can do a full system restore back to factory setting IF you have what is called a "Recovery Disc" set for your laptop. This should have come with the laptop when you bought it. It is possible to buy the recovery disc from your laptop manufacturer, but it is time consuming and some times difficult!

To do the restoer if you have the disc, you will need to put the disc in the disc drive. You can do this whilst the computer is on, it will tell you if it is able to run the required program or not. If not then you will have to re-start your laptop and mkae sure it boots from the dvd drive. - If you do not know how to do this bit, you will need to provide make and model of your laptop so someone can tell you which key to get in the BIOS and where to set the boot order.

If it will let you boot from the dvd, then just follow the wizard and you will end up with a clean install of Windows on to which you can install all your programs all over again!

Regards,

John

*katie*;5944432

Dell Studio 1737

In that case it should ship with a restore partition that will take it back to the factory settings relatively quickly although with the loss of your data. Here is Dell's article on how to do it:

support.euro.dell.com/sup…966

If you do go down this route, make sure you set up the new install properly - installed AV, no rubbish like Limewire, consider using Opera/Firefox etc. and you should be able to keep the system clean

John

*katie*;5944481

shutting down, i dont have things on here that was here when i first got … shutting down, i dont have things on here that was here when i first got the laptop....all things r jiggling around my screen...when i type the keyboard will go down to the next row and type there instead grr!amongst other stuff, basically running slow, and crashing too, but i definately have no virus or trojans x

Ok, you may have too much memory space filled, if you go to Control Panel - free up space on your hard drive. which cleans up your Hard Drive deleting files that are of low importance
    Or it could be overheating, which if too hot can force a shutdown of your laptop
    is your laptop well ventilated?

Restart the computer, and on a Dell you repeatedly press F8 as soon as it shuts down, on start up this will bring up all the restore options, including restore the computer to the factory condition. Good luck

I should have said, most Dells don't come with recovery discs, they have a partitioned HD with the recovery stuff in a recovery partition, it's pressing F8 on start up that lets you access this.

Original Poster

:thumbsup:

heinkeljb;5944482

Hi,First off I would try the suggestion to use "system restore", this … Hi,First off I would try the suggestion to use "system restore", this might correct some of your problems.To do so;Go to "start"Go to "Programs"Go to "Accessories"Go to "System Toools"Go to "System Restore"The wizard will start and ask you to choose a date, choose one from before you started having problems. Finish the wizard and your laptop will re-start.Check to see if everything is working the way you want.IF not, then you can do a full system restore back to factory setting IF you have what is called a "Recovery Disc" set for your laptop. This should have come with the laptop when you bought it. It is possible to buy the recovery disc from your laptop manufacturer, but it is time consuming and some times difficult!To do the restoer if you have the disc, you will need to put the disc in the disc drive. You can do this whilst the computer is on, it will tell you if it is able to run the required program or not. If not then you will have to re-start your laptop and mkae sure it boots from the dvd drive. - If you do not know how to do this bit, you will need to provide make and model of your laptop so someone can tell you which key to get in the BIOS and where to set the boot order.If it will let you boot from the dvd, then just follow the wizard and you will end up with a clean install of Windows on to which you can install all your programs all over again!Regards,John

brilliant thank u, il put everything on memory tomorrow and try it then, il let u know how it goes, il see if i have a disk...dunno where it may be tho! Ive had problems for a few months now, and system restore wont go back that far x

Thank u xx

DarkKnight;5944565

Ok, you may have too much memory space filled, if you go to Control Panel … Ok, you may have too much memory space filled, if you go to Control Panel - free up space on your hard drive. which cleans up your Hard Drive deleting files that are of low importanceOr it could be overheating, which if too hot can force a shutdown of your laptopis your laptop well ventilated?

I have loads and loads of memory...and its not heating up...hmmm thank u anyway xx

tessb;5944690

I should have said, most Dells don't come with recovery discs, they have … I should have said, most Dells don't come with recovery discs, they have a partitioned HD with the recovery stuff in a recovery partition, it's pressing F8 on start up that lets you access this.

ooo damn, i hope i have one!!! :thinking:
    dcx_badass;5944717

OH look, Katie broke something else! :whistling: :thumbsup:

Pffft....i never broke it, it broke itself!

That model hasn't bee out for long lol

Hi there i have a dell E521 desktop
    To go back to factory setting i had to restart comp when blue bar comes after bios screen hit control+ F11 at same time
    or arrow above ctrl and F11.
    Mine had ghost partition installed by dell maybe you have it ?.
    Look in manual.
    Hope it helps
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. The HUKD Student Discount code sharing thread (most codes on Unidays are si…6551247
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764314
      3. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846213
      4. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394

See more discussions