How do I send a message to a group of people on Facebook (whom I'm not yet friends with)?

Found 25th Mar 2012
I want to send a message to a group of friends, but I'm not friends with them on Facebook. I've tried adding them as friends but it won't let me add them to the list of the people I want to message (presumably it would when they accept the friend invite).

I suppose I could message them all individually but I'd like to do it as a group, it'd be quicker and we can all see each other's replies and co-ordinate what we're doing alot easier.

Thanks.

1. Misc
  2. Facebook
43 Comments

Add them as friends. If you'll be doing something with them that's a good enough reason.

Original Poster

BustaLinx

Add them as friends. If you'll be doing something with them that's a good … Add them as friends. If you'll be doing something with them that's a good enough reason.

Yes, but I want to organise something for the weekend and I want to type it now. Not wait several days to see if everyone accepts me as a friend. Some of them might not even go on there and I might have to phone them, don't want to be waiting all week before I send it just to see if they add me as a friend!!

Telephone?
Letter?
Carrier Pigeon?
Flag Semaphore?
Morse Code?
Smoke Signals?

Or just add them as Facebook Friends.

Duh.

Original Poster

fanpages

Telephone?Letter?Carrier Pigeon?Flag Semaphore?Morse Code?Smoke … Telephone?Letter?Carrier Pigeon?Flag Semaphore?Morse Code?Smoke Signals?Or just add them as Facebook Friends.Duh.

Thanks, but Facebook seemed the quickest way to get a message to them all. No need to say duh, I've explained why adding them as friends won't be quick enough.

Original Poster

I now hate Facebook, just clicked the x button on a window to close it so I could see the rest of the page behind and it marks it as spam!

It depends what their privacy settings are. Some may have it that if you are not friends with them then you cannot send a message to them, only once you become friends then you can

Original Poster

Twist96

It depends what their privacy settings are. Some may have it that if you … It depends what their privacy settings are. Some may have it that if you are not friends with them then you cannot send a message to them, only once you become friends then you can

Nah, not that. I can send messages to them individually, but not as a group.

Benjimoron

Nah, not that. I can send messages to them individually, but not as a … Nah, not that. I can send messages to them individually, but not as a group.

Aww that's strange. Other than that i have no idea, sorry Hope you get it sorted soon

Banned

Facebook is the work of the devil

i like facebook only cos i keep in touch with my ex army mates only go on about once a week,cant understand why they put things like off to shops just making diiner off to the toilet i think why do we need to know stuff like that

Original Poster

Twist96

Aww that's strange. Other than that i have no idea, sorry Hope you get … Aww that's strange. Other than that i have no idea, sorry Hope you get it sorted soon

Thanks, looks like I'll be sending individual messages! I wish I had all their e-mail addresses now!

Other annoying thing is that I can't invite them to an event either without them accepting me as a friend. Work of the devil indeed!

Original Poster

mercslkman

i like facebook only cos i keep in touch with my ex army mates only go on … i like facebook only cos i keep in touch with my ex army mates only go on about once a week,cant understand why they put things like off to shops just making diiner off to the toilet i think why do we need to know stuff like that

Agreed.

Anyway, I'm off for a ****!

mercslkman

i like facebook only cos i keep in touch with my ex army mates only go on … i like facebook only cos i keep in touch with my ex army mates only go on about once a week,cant understand why they put things like off to shops just making diiner off to the toilet i think why do we need to know stuff like that

It's important to know they do go, just not when.

Banned

mercslkman

I guess they are bored.

I am chatting to someone now on facebook and it is very sad

Banned

even if you send them all a message on there how do you know they will have received it, no doubt many only use it occasionally if they over 19

Benjimoron

I now hate Facebook, just clicked the x button on a window to close it so … I now hate Facebook, just clicked the x button on a window to close it so I could see the rest of the page behind and it marks it as spam!

What marks what as spam?

Telephone two of the parties. Ask them to telephone two of the others & pass that message on.

Even with several thousand invitees the message will reach every recipient in a few days.

Benjimoron

Agreed.Anyway, I'm off for a ****!

lmao hope it didnt begin with a W lol

Benjimoron

Anyway, I'm off for a ****!

mercslkman

Wagon Wheel?

Banned

mercslkman

What's wrong with going for a walk oO

DLM

What's wrong with going for a walk oO

thats what i ment

Banned

mercslkman

thats what i ment

I bet you did

DLM

I bet you did

i did honest achooo lol

Original Poster

sassie

even if you send them all a message on there how do you know they will … even if you send them all a message on there how do you know they will have received it, no doubt many only use it occasionally if they over 19

If it's like mine then it comes through to e-mail, so they'd see it very quickly even if they don't go on Facebook.

Banned

Benjimoron

If it's like mine then it comes through to e-mail, so they'd see it very … If it's like mine then it comes through to e-mail, so they'd see it very quickly even if they don't go on Facebook.

oh does it, ok, i 'll get me coat

Original Poster

fanpages

What marks what as spam?Telephone two of the parties. Ask them to … What marks what as spam?Telephone two of the parties. Ask them to telephone two of the others & pass that message on.Even with several thousand invitees the message will reach every recipient in a few days.

When I clicked the x to close a thread (if that's what they call it on FB) it marked the thread as spam, it then let me undo it but it seemed a stupid way to mark something as spam as I was just trying to close it to get back to the page behind it. If I hadn't realised what I'd done I'd have probably got someone else's message marked as spam and potentially deleted.

Benjimoron

If it's like mine then it comes through to e-mail, so they'd see it very … If it's like mine then it comes through to e-mail, so they'd see it very quickly even if they don't go on Facebook.

my invite aint come through yet

Original Poster

Well, that's the quickest w*lk I've ever had!

Banned

mercslkman

thats just ridiculous

they should be using twitter for that

Original Poster

mercslkman

Yeah, cos I can't ********** make it work! I managed to create an event, but can't invite people I'm not friends with. I don't think they can see it even if I send them a link, which I'd have to do individually. Will see if I can be bothered tomorrow.

Banned

mercslkman

Did you get mine?

Benjimoron

Yeah, cos I can't ********** make it work! I managed to create an event, … Yeah, cos I can't ********** make it work! I managed to create an event, but can't invite people I'm not friends with. I don't think they can see it even if I send them a link, which I'd have to do individually. Will see if I can be bothered tomorrow.

ok will check my emails tomorrow then he he

DLM

Did you get mine?

no not yet lol

create an event page and just invite them all to the event, you can type message on the page and everyone can reply there.

Benjimoron

Well, that's the quickest w*lk I've ever had!

welk?

Unless you obfusticated/obscured the wrong letter.

Original Poster

juiceblaster

create an event page and just invite them all to the event, you can type … create an event page and just invite them all to the event, you can type message on the page and everyone can reply there.

Tried that, can't invite people who aren't my friends!!

sassie

even if you send them all a message on there how do you know they will … even if you send them all a message on there how do you know they will have received it, no doubt many only use it occasionally if they over 19

Benjimoron

So the friend request will take no more time to be e-mailed to them than if you were to invite them to an event.

mercslkman

Seriously?
http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/spring-is-coming-1176935
hotukdeals.com/mis…394

Edited by: "bazzaric" 26th Mar 2012

Original Poster

sassie

Benjimoron

errr, they'd get the friend request, I'd then have to wait until everyone had seen it and responded before I could message them all as a group. If I was waiting on the last person I could wait for days before they respond or they might be away on holiday etc, which means I'd have to decide to just message a smaller group or wait it out, all the time giving them less notice! Either way, turns out that I've got to message them individually!

Banned

Benjimoron

most people I know turn off facebook messaging and PM notification. its a right PITA!

Banned

just message the ones you can and ask them to pass on to the ones that arent on your fb friends list
Post a comment
@
    Text