Groups

How do i set up & register a website ??? best affordable option please

OK - i seem to be able to work my computor ok, but do not have a clue about websites.

I have a great idea for a product/service that i wish to show the world & sell, and i feel the net is my best markert.

So how do i go about setting up a website? It goes without saying i need what i think they call is a domain name & then a website so i can show my product/service to the world, receive emails, orders, questions & payments etc

I need something that will grow with me - the bigger i get, the better the website needs to get? (web design - what is that & can i do it myself????)

So ladys & gents - who would you recomend is best for this, how do i register a name & whats the best price for a good package

Any comments, ideas & details would be most appreciated

71 Comments

Banned

Don't pay anything now- your first try should be just to learn.

If you go to Microsoft office live, you can set up a site instantly, in free space on their servers.
    If you do it through Quidco, the cashback site, they will even pay YOU 5 pounds just for signing up, and that's free. (That is, go to office live through quidco, using the quidco link)

here is the url for Office Live:

smallbusiness.officelive.com/

and here for quidco:

[url]www.quidco.com[/url]

PM'd ya matey :thumbsup:

easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then learn css & html @ [url]www.w3schools.com[/url]

the best way is to use a apllication to make the web page such as dreamweaver

or

get someone to code it for you

faevilangel;2774794

easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then … easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then learn css & html @ [url]www.w3schools.com[/url]the best way is to use a apllication to make the web page such as dreamweaver or get someone to code it for you

you and you fooken coding lol

Original Poster

easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then learn css & html @ [url]www.w3schools.com[/url]

the best way is to use a apllication to make the web page such as dreamweaver

or

get someone to code it for you

I new it - (i am already out of my leauge here?????)

This all looks very hard to do!

I have seen microsoft office but to be honest although free it does look a little bit basic & plain for what i want

i use ehosting its £5 a month

Disco;2774821

you and you fooken coding lol

hey i gotta pass my boredom somehow :whistling:

REDRANGER86;2774829

i use ehosting its £5 a month

can't beat a FREE host

like i say, check ya PM's

i can help you out, and you can even have

thecanniebuyer.co.uk. for as little as £3.00 per year (thats the website name only of course)

The Cannie Buyer;2774822

easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then … easiest way is to get a free host such as [url]www.110mb.com[/url] then learn css & html @ [url]www.w3schools.com[/url]the best way is to use a apllication to make the web page such as dreamweaver or get someone to code it for you I new it - (i am already out of my leauge here?????)This all looks very hard to do!I have seen microsoft office but to be honest although free it does look a little bit basic & plain for what i want

there is enough tutorials on the internet to learn the basics to web design or i would code it for you, for NO charge, you will just need to cover the domain name cost (if you want a .com or .co.uk)

Banned

You probably can't go from where you are to what you want in one step, hence the advice to learn on the cheap.

Disco;2774837

like i say, check ya PM'si can help you out, and you can even have … like i say, check ya PM'si can help you out, and you can even have thecanniebuyer.co.uk. for as little as £3.00 per year (thats the website name only of course)

£3.20 including VAT

you'll need to start of with a domain, theres alot of places where you could purchase one, ]123 reg, ]ukreg, ]namecheap, ]dynadot

you'll then need somewhere to host the site, you could pay for hosting but there are some great free hosts available, such as ]110mb, ]aokhost,]freehostia,

you could then have a html site, or a php script, a php script is easier as any changes are done online, whereas html is reuploading the updates pages, a cms (content management script) would be good. Or if you would be selling products online, you may want to look into ecommerce(shop) scripts such as, ]oscommerce, ]zencart, or ]magento, which are full online shops which let you add products, the descriptions, into organized categories.

if you need a website design/coding doing, setting up scripts, or any help, just ask, or pm :thumbsup:
    good luck

faevilangel;2774847

£3.20 including VAT

£3 to him cause i dont pay VAT lol

Disco;2774857

£3 to him cause i dont pay VAT lol

pppppfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Banned

The Cannie Buyer;2774822

I new it - (i am already out of my leauge here?????)This all looks very … I new it - (i am already out of my leauge here?????)This all looks very hard to do!I have seen microsoft office but to be honest although free it does look a little bit basic & plain for what i want

Dont use Microsoft Office!!!!!! Its rubbish!

You havent really adequately described your needs here, so its not easy to give guidance.

Are you after a site that is bascially a shop with a cart? If it is, then there are several commercial or free packages you can use. But reading between the lines, you only need to show some items and take payments? Have you thought about what payment methods you want to accept? It gets really messy unless you know these things. (As well as expensive if you want credit card payments. Not only the cost for doing so, but the fact you would need a secure server and acreditation.)

If you are talking about Paypal, then thats a doddle.

If its a plain site that happens to have goods on it without a cart, but accepts "buy now", then you just need a decent template and build the site up from that, with any email forms etc that you need.

As for hosts, until we know more, its not possible to guide until that info is clearer. (As you will get differing recommendations as your needs would be different.)

Original Poster

Thanks for the help guys - i really got to go to bed (off to a auction at 5am)

I will read all the Pm's and be in touch within the next day or so at the very latest.

Thanks ever so much again - this was the only place i posted my request as i just new somone would come up with some ideas

Cheers to you all

from what the OP tells me, he just needs a simple site that displays what he is selling, with option of a PP feature - nowt complex as CC.

shouldnt take anymore than 250mb webspace

guv;2774880

Dont use Microsoft Office!!!!!! Its rubbish!You havent really adequately … Dont use Microsoft Office!!!!!! Its rubbish!You havent really adequately described your needs here, so its not easy to give guidance.Are you after a site that is bascially a shop with a cart? If it is, then there are several commercial or free packages you can use. But reading between the lines, you only need to show some items and take payments? Have you thought about what payment methods you want to accept? It gets really messy unless you know these things. (As well as expensive if you want credit card payments. Not only the cost for doing so, but the fact you would need a secure server and acreditation.)If you are talking about Paypal, then thats a doddle.If its a plain site that happens to have goods on it without a cart, but accepts "buy now", then you just need a decent template and build the site up from that, with any email forms etc that you need.As for hosts, until we know more, its not possible to guide until that info is clearer. (As you will get differing recommendations as your needs would be different.)

he has pm'd me his needs

he is after a site to show off his car dealership
    customers need to be able to leave a deposit
    pics and details on the car

i recommend using oscommerce

faevilangel;2774899

he has pm'd me his needshe is after a site to show off his car … he has pm'd me his needshe is after a site to show off his car dealershipcustomers need to be able to leave a depositpics and details on the cari recommend using oscommerce

look at ur other thread

Banned

Disco;2774890

from what the OP tells me, he just needs a simple site that displays what … from what the OP tells me, he just needs a simple site that displays what he is selling, with option of a PP feature - nowt complex as CC.shouldnt take anymore than 250mb webspace

If thats the case, I'd recommend 34sp.com, which is both reliable and relatively cheap. (Its £17.99py - but it will have speed, reliability and excellent support.) This is a business venture yes? Your customers wouldnt be impressed with slow speeds or downtime - which is not going to happen with the company mentioned.

Then a template design you are happy with to build on.

faevilangel;2774899

he has pm'd me his needshe is after a site to show off his car … he has pm'd me his needshe is after a site to show off his car dealershipcustomers need to be able to leave a depositpics and details on the cari recommend using oscommerce

tbh mate, do you REALLY need owt that flash. wont a simple designed site to include photo's of the cars and explain of each do).....

contact address etc etc and a method of payment (ie PP), attached?

Banned

faevilangel;2774899

Which is different from the previous reply!

Best bet is for the original poster to post a link of something similar.

Original Poster

Selling from Home - fed up of garage overheads & there is a massive market for small cheap to run motors at the moment.

I need a shop window - where i can display my stock & maybe 9just maybe allow other dealers to use my site or advertise at a cost.

I would need the site to display quality photos & allow me to receive/send emails etc + allow people to contact me via a submit questions form + take deposit holding payments.

Somthing like ''runabouts''

GOT TO GO TO BED NOW - THANKS AGAIN

The Cannie Buyer;2774927

Selling from Home - fed up of garage overheads & there is a massive … Selling from Home - fed up of garage overheads & there is a massive market for small cheap to run motors at the moment.I need a shop window - where i can display my stock & maybe 9just maybe allow other dealers to use my site or advertise at a cost.I would need the site to display quality photos & allow me to receive/send emails etc + allow people to contact me via a submit questions form + take deposit holding payments.GOT TO GO TO BED NOW - THANKS AGAIN

consider it done!!! already workin on summit now
    with your website (domain name) you get several email address, which can we set up directly on your PC. in addition, I can design a form for the site, which will send the completed page (say, questions), to your inbox.

[url]www.runaboutsrus.co.uk[/url] is available (but to be that sounds like a clapped out car that would get you from A to B, once in a while).

Disco;2774912

tbh mate, do you REALLY need owt that flash. wont a simple designed site … tbh mate, do you REALLY need owt that flash. wont a simple designed site to include photo's of the cars and explain of each do)..... contact address etc etc and a method of payment (ie PP), attached?

but oscommerce includes a payment system built in, which the op wants, otherwise he would need to set up paypal accounts etc

Banned

The Cannie Buyer;2774927

Selling from Home - fed up of garage overheads & there is a massive … Selling from Home - fed up of garage overheads & there is a massive market for small cheap to run motors at the moment.I need a shop window - where i can display my stock & maybe 9just maybe allow other dealers to use my site or advertise at a cost.I would need the site to display quality photos & allow me to receive/send emails etc + allow people to contact me via a submit questions form + take deposit holding payments.Somthing like ''runabouts'' GOT TO GO TO BED NOW - THANKS AGAIN

Dunno what "runabouts" is! But it doesnt sound like you need OScommerce.

faevilangel;2774941

but oscommerce includes a payment system built in, which the op wants, … but oscommerce includes a payment system built in, which the op wants, otherwise he would need to set up paypal accounts etc

means he would have to set up accout information on here! (would he not!) :whistling: 6 and 2 three's really! ;-) and anyway shhhh you may be doing me outta business lol

and before you say about PP fees etc, the deposit could be "gifted" to him

Disco;2774947

means he would have to set up accout information on here! (would he not!) … means he would have to set up accout information on here! (would he not!) :whistling: 6 and 2 three's really! ;-) and anyway shhhh you may be doing me outta business loland before you say about PP fees etc, the deposit could be "gifted" to him

hey im after this business lmfao i can get his site online with unlimited email accounts & mysql & his own domain for £5 :w00t:

Disco;2774947

means he would have to set up accout information on here! (would he not!) … means he would have to set up accout information on here! (would he not!) :whistling: 6 and 2 three's really! ;-) and anyway shhhh you may be doing me outta business loland before you say about PP fees etc, the deposit could be "gifted" to him

but oscommerce can be used with moneybookers etc ;-)

guv;2774944

Dunno what "runabouts" is! But it doesnt sound like you need OScommerce.

someone who agrees with me :oops:

faevilangel;2774966

hey im after this business lmfao i can get his site online with … hey im after this business lmfao i can get his site online with unlimited email accounts & mysql & his own domain for £5 :w00t:

well, cant beat that tbh - but whats the real price you would charge? (we all know the cost of webspace) :whistling:

Disco;2774977

well, cant beat that tbh - but whats the real price you would charge? … well, cant beat that tbh - but whats the real price you would charge? (we all know the cost of webspace) :whistling:

disco i saw ur sites they were all pretty good.

Is this your job or spare time?

Banned

REDRANGER86;2774984

disco i saw ur sites they were all pretty good. Is this your job or spare … disco i saw ur sites they were all pretty good. Is this your job or spare time?

What sites?

REDRANGER86;2774984

disco i saw ur sites they were all pretty good. Is this your job or spare … disco i saw ur sites they were all pretty good. Is this your job or spare time?

spare time. i wanna go to college and/or uni and learn more, but coures cost a bomb. trying to self teach atm.... tbh sites are not that grand imo, but serve the prupose -- just learning about SEO as we speak

[url]www.gentlehands.co.uk[/url] (my other halfs)
    [url]www.ontheroadforhazey.co.uk[/url] (tribute site to a lost friend) - needs updating
    wjohndobsonroofing.co.uk (changing the layout soon)

Disco;2774977

well, cant beat that tbh - but whats the real price you would charge? … well, cant beat that tbh - but whats the real price you would charge? (we all know the cost of webspace) :whistling:

im after getting a portfolio set up so would do it for free but he covers the costs of the extra's e.g. mysql and domain name

Disco;2774996

spare time. i wanna go to college and/or uni and learn more, but coures … spare time. i wanna go to college and/or uni and learn more, but coures cost a bomb. trying to self teach atm.... tbh sites are not that grand imo, but serve the prupose -- just learning about SEO as we speak

im doing web design @ college to get qualification (but i know it all, but they want a qulaification) grrrrrrrrr

seo is annoying, use google analytics :thumbsup:

guv;2774993

What sites?

hotukdeals.com/ite…193

my thread has sites made by me & him

Banned

faevilangel;2775000

im after getting a portfolio set up so would do it for free but he covers … im after getting a portfolio set up so would do it for free but he covers the costs of the extra's e.g. mysql and domain name

Why not just make up an imaginary portfolio with different designs showing similar content? Ive got so many, I wouldnt know where to start!:p

guv;2775010

Why not just make up an imaginary portfolio with different designs … Why not just make up an imaginary portfolio with different designs showing similar content? Ive got so many, I wouldnt know where to start!:p

because then, its only "my different layouts" .... a portfolio would consider of sites you have created, and maybe hosted for OP .. its like lying at an interview
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?23
      2. CEX return/exchange at different store22
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …45
      4. Which SSD drive I need to replace my current HD34

See more discussions