How do I setup a D Link dir 1960 for vpn

Posted 27th Nov
I've got a plusnet router and just bought a d link router to connect to it and I need to setup a VPN. I've also got a VPN subscription with keepsolid vpn unlimited. is it just a matter of putting my login details in or do I need to flash the router with something else ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
No custom firmware for this router currently and from the looks of the manuals it does not support .ovpn files out the box.

Unless you can find a provider that uses PPTP vpn or something like else that router supports out the box you're out of luck.

en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wik…_A1

If it's essential all network traffic is funneled through the vpn it might be worth getting new hardware.
Edited by: "mogsog" 27th Nov
mogsog27/11/2019 21:22

No custom firmware for this router currently and from the looks of the …No custom firmware for this router currently and from the looks of the manuals it does not support .ovpn files out the box. Unless you can find a provider that uses PPTP vpn or something like else that router supports out the box you're out of luck.http://en.techinfodepot.shoutwiki.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-1960_rev_A1If it's essential all network traffic is funneled through the vpn it might be worth getting new hardware.

I've only just bought this one as someone mentioned it would work when it was posted as a deal
AdrianJones1227/11/2019 21:30

I've only just bought this one as someone mentioned it would work when it …I've only just bought this one as someone mentioned it would work when it was posted as a deal

You mean this thread?

hotukdeals.com/dea…564

You said:
"Would I be able to connect this to my Plusnet router just to run a VPN through it?"

But it doesn't seem anybody answered the question.
Well, let me know if you want any help buying kit that can do what you require.
Thanks. I also watched a review video showing that you'd be able to add VPN to it. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Which router would you recommend to connect to my plusnet one?
AdrianJones1228/11/2019 18:19

Thanks. I also watched a review video showing that you'd be able to add …Thanks. I also watched a review video showing that you'd be able to add VPN to it. I'm sending it back tomorrow. Which router would you recommend to connect to my plusnet one?

I would like to see that video, remember openvpn server functionality vs openvpn client functionality are two very different things you need the latter.

Drop this idea of an all in one vdsl router with openvpn client solution, if you want something value for money get the below. Available on amazon, aliexpress and eBay.

How many concurrent users will you have?

GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2
the-gadgeteer.com/201…ew/
I'd only be using one zgemma box really through a wired connection. No other plans on using the VPN with anything else. Had a few people recommend a TP link archer c7?
AdrianJones1228/11/2019 22:44

I'd only be using one zgemma box really through a wired connection. No …I'd only be using one zgemma box really through a wired connection. No other plans on using the VPN with anything else. Had a few people recommend a TP link archer c7?

It doesn't work out the box and you'd need to flash it. You've already had issues up to this point so I absolutely would not consider going down the path of custom router firmware.

Seems some zgemma boxes support Ovpn vpn profiles, this thread shows that.

privateinternetaccess.com/for…h2s
Edited by: "mogsog" 29th Nov
Ive tried using the VPN on my zgemma box but it was still cutting off. I used XE VPN and it only has some VPN providers in the list. I tired it with digbit but unlimited VPN isn't on the list.
AdrianJones1229/11/2019 09:54

Ive tried using the VPN on my zgemma box but it was still cutting off. I …Ive tried using the VPN on my zgemma box but it was still cutting off. I used XE VPN and it only has some VPN providers in the list. I tired it with digbit but unlimited VPN isn't on the list.

In that case I would suggest you use a GL.iNet GL-MT300N-V2 then.
Well Adrian, do let me know how you get on.
Sorry been quite busy. Yeh I'll order the one you suggested. Thanks
Router arrived today just need to figure out how to set the VPN up now. It came with Openwrt pre installed
Page 156 of the manual
chocci04/12/2019 05:52

Page 156 of the manual

Thanks. I did have a look but there was an option to drag a file in to set it up but there isn't that option on keep solid VPN so I'll have to manually enter everything. There are a few guides on their site but I'm not sure which one I need
Ironically the plusnet router can be flashed with openwrt and run the vpn directly. Although I'm not a fan of vpn's on routers anyway as its daft funnelling all your traffic via a vpn.

openwrt.org/toh/bt/homehub_v5a

community.plus.net/t5/…968
Edited by: "dcx_badass" 4th Dec
I did have a look at doing that but it looked like to much work. I'm not planning on putting all the traffic through a VPN just one device
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions