How do I stick LED strips to my TV?

Found 3rd Jul
I've bought many different types of LED strips and they all have different problems, though the most common one is that the LED strips won't stick to the back of the TV. I've got a Samsung and the back is rough so they won't grip and heat also comes out of the back which loosens the stick. I've heard of aluminium tape(?) which I've been told can do the job and prevent residue from showing on removal. What do you people suggest? Thanks
Community Updates
AskElectronics
25 Comments
Superglue.
Sami2863rd Jul

Superglue.

Don't want to permanently defect a £600 TV but thanks for the suggestion
Edited by: "sAmeri" 3rd Jul
Velcro strips
sAmeri7 m ago

Don't want to permanently defect a £600 TV but thanks for the suggestion.

Only kidding!
Have you tried a double sided tape?
Command strips?
diy.com/dep…cpc
I find they stick really well and are easy to remove too.
I have my toilet roll holder held up with 2 of those mounting strips in my bathroom and it's still up.
Why do you stick lights to the back of the telly? What am I missing?
Sami2863rd Jul

Only kidding! Have you tried a double sided tape?

Lol . I have, but it comes off with the heat from the TV. I haven't tried aluminium double sided tape, know anything about that?
psychobitchfromhell5 m ago

Why do you stick lights to the back of the telly? What am I missing?

It gives it accurate lighting exactly where you need it, it also stops people from seeing the light strip itself which you could see if it was stuck on a wall. Regardless, the wall behind the telly is laminated wood and so it'll probably struggle to stick anyway.
sAmeri6 m ago

It gives it accurate lighting exactly where you need it, it also stops …It gives it accurate lighting exactly where you need it, it also stops people from seeing the light strip itself which you could see if it was stuck on a wall. Regardless, the wall behind the telly is laminated wood and so it might still struggle to stick.

So do you turn off the rest of the lights in the room or what? Not sure I could be that bothered. Most of the time it's only on for the background noise.
I have this same issue so interested in a solution.
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

So do you turn off the rest of the lights in the room or what? Not sure I …So do you turn off the rest of the lights in the room or what? Not sure I could be that bothered. Most of the time it's only on for the background noise.

It's just for ambient lighting.
mug518 m ago

Command …Command strips?https://www.diy.com/departments/3m-command-white-plastic-mounting-refill-strips-pack-of-9/240797_BQ.prd?dclid=COOezMXwg9wCFcMC0wodcb4Dkg&ds_kids=92700029894063169&gclid=Cj0KCQjwvezZBRDkARIsADKQyPmU7yG46Qgq8rNTSAV0IFZ68pQpt-9SlkFBBaCWxcVtb7ryNxO6W7AaAkngEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&ppc_type=shopping&utm_campaign=PX_GSC_Tools_And_Hardware_+_Generic&utm_medium=shopping&utm_source=google_cpcI find they stick really well and are easy to remove too. I have my toilet roll holder held up with 2 of those mounting strips in my bathroom and it's still up.

Would they work with the heat the TV releases?
EN1GMA3rd Jul

It's just for ambient lighting.

I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. The only reason I have a big telly is because I lost my glasses.
I've got them on mine and they're rock solid, can only suggest as above - double sided or Velcro. Or even a few spots of a mild glue that'll rub off later with alcohol?
Does your telly have any vent holes on the back by any chance? Mine does so I threaded small plastic cable ties through to hold some strips on.

Not that I ever bother switching them on any more although now I am feeling inspired to do so.
psychobitchfromhell12 m ago

I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. The only reason I have a big telly …I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. The only reason I have a big telly is because I lost my glasses.

It makes a huge difference to the feel of the room. This isn't stuck to the TV/monitor, but look how beautiful this setup looks with the light coming behind it.

34233733-KCuBC.jpg
sAmeri9 m ago

It makes a huge difference to the feel of the room. This isn't stuck to …It makes a huge difference to the feel of the room. This isn't stuck to the TV/monitor, but look how beautiful this setup looks with the light coming behind it.[Image]

very nice. Bit posher than my living room. It does just look like a telly to me. I am obviously a hethen. I used to have some led lights. If I still had them, I would give it a go.
OneGloveOnTheFence20 m ago

I've got them on mine and they're rock solid, can only suggest as above - …I've got them on mine and they're rock solid, can only suggest as above - double sided or Velcro. Or even a few spots of a mild glue that'll rub off later with alcohol?

What have you got on yours, and what type of double sided tape?
I had the same problems with the strips dropping off all the time.
But standard double sided tape worked ok.
I also taped each corner connection as well with normal strong tape which helped.
sAmeri24 m ago

What have you got on yours, and what type of double sided tape?

I have these, been on a good 8 months

Pangton Villa 2m Led Strip USB TV Backlight Kit with Remote for 40-60in TV Bias Lighting Multi Color TV Lights amazon.co.uk/dp/B072MZFW81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_OM.oBb8S5MCHQ

It depends how much you want to spend but you won't get much stickier than gorilla

Gorilla Glue 3044101 Heavy-Duty Double Sided Mounting Tape, 25.4 mm x 1.52 m amazon.co.uk/dp/B01FMXKIOM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_QU.oBb8AAQAZE
(Repackaged for £4.38 in warehouse)

(May be cheaper elsewhere, just for reference)
Edited by: "OneGloveOnTheFence" 3rd Jul
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 54 m ago

I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. The only reason I have a big telly …I'm not sure I'd notice the difference. The only reason I have a big telly is because I lost my glasses.

You don't half talk a lot of nonsense.
In
Darzen1 h, 38 m ago

You don't half talk a lot of nonsense.

In what respect?
You can use an impact adhesive like Evostik.
Try an experimemt first. Buy a small tube (a few pounds). Put a thin layer on the back of a strip, and on someplace on the back of the tv where it won't show. Let both areas dry. A few minutes. They really must be touch dry. Put them together. They should bond immediately. It should be very difficult to remove them. However, remove the strip. Then use white spirit or turpentine substitute to remove the remains of the glue from the plastic of the tv. If you rub too hard then you will polish the plastic and it won't look the same!.This solvent is a little inflammable, so switch the tv off at the mains before doing it
If this works for you, use the glue round the tv.
Glue a 12" length of the strip and the tv. Wait for it to dry. Stick then another length etc.It's possible to wait to long. In which case use more glue!
I've successfully used this method to stick a LED strip round an uneven wooden dressing table mirror. The main trouble with a tv is the corners. You can't bend the strip I bought round a corner. The leds after the corner will stop working. You may be able to fudge it by not sticking a small amount of strip at the corners. It won't look very neat but hopefully you won't see it. My mirror is oval so there was no problem and I wanted the lights to give extra illumination to the front so you can see them.
I'll post a picture if you like.
The problem with anything self-adhesive is dust and furniture polish. Furniture polish should never go near monitors, tv screens etc. It effects the screen surface.
The pictures on the site where I bought the leds are fake I think. I can't see how they can have bent the trips in such a way, and so neatly to put them where they seem to be! Some (real) people have complained in feedback that their Led strips stopped working when they bent them!
PS. You can cut my strip. The leds appear to be all in parallel!
psychobitchfromhell9 h, 50 m ago

It's called bias backlighting. It relieves eye strain and gives you deeper blacks and richer colours. It's similar to being in a dark room and then shoved into bright sunlight, everything looks washed out and too bright until your eyes get used to the sunlight. Walking out of well lit room into bright sunlight does cause this issue though.
I had the same problem - purchased 6mm 3M double sided tape - it's perfect for the job.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants