Expired

How do I stream the internet to my analogue TV that has scart/s-video/RCA connections?

Found 19th Jan 2014
Our Sony CRT TV and Sagem freeview recorder are still going strong but we would like to cheaply stream internet content to the TV e.g. blinkbox, clubcardtv, flixster, iplayer, 4OD, youtube.

My laptop has HDMI output which I can't connect to the TV. So I wondered what my options are? I thought I may be able to pick up a cheap laptop back when they had s-video connections but am not sure what other problems I would encounter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Community Updates
AskStreaming
11 Comments
You would need a media streamer, there are a lot out there, so it's a matter of which one you choose just check it has a scary output though
hotukdeals.com/dea…737

instead of streaming via your laptop?
Edited by: "dw5115" 19th Jan 2014
you can get hdmi to scart converters then connect what you want to that

You could get an hdmi to scart converter(edit- you need a converter box to do this as correctly pointed at by another poster) and then connect your laptop to the tv and then speakers to the laptop or a 3.5mm audio jack to the tv from laptop(not sure of your tv would have this-think it does) otherwise the sound will only come out of the laptop( I'm pretty certain).

Truthfully, normal TVs are extremely cheap these days and if you bought an LCD or LED tv, the picture quality would be vastly improved, use less electricity , able to connect your laptop very easily to tv and general experience would be so much better. 40inch for £300 max (tescos have had extremely good deals recently). You could get a smart tv which has some of the OD built in but again more expensive while a connected laptop works extremely well.
Edited by: "dav465" 20th Jan 2014
dw5115

http://www.amazon.co.uk/3-RCA-Audio-Video-Component-Convert/dp/B00DJ0VDSG/ref=sr_1_11?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1390129810&sr=1-11&keywords=hdmi+to+RCA

This looks like a component out, a red white yellow is required for a scart.
dw5115

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/roku-lt-currys-29-97-reserve-collect-1798737 instead of streaming via your laptop?

Only hdmi, need red white yellow / scart
Raspberry Pi? Add on the correct connectors and thi should do the trick. The pi has the red/white connections.
thepihut.com/pro…-pi
d19mes

You would need a media streamer, there are a lot out there, so it's a … You would need a media streamer, there are a lot out there, so it's a matter of which one you choose just check it has a scary output though

'A scary output'! I went to the doctor with that once...
Edited by: "dealpickle" 19th Jan 2014
dcx_badass

There is no such thing as a HDMI to Scart cable, you need a reasonably … There is no such thing as a HDMI to Scart cable, you need a reasonably expensive converter to go digital to analogue. Best bet would be something like the roku,

which roku has a composite out?

Try some of the WD TV's they have composite.
Have a look at a BluRay Player as some have composite out and have streaming services, we use a Panasonic one for the kids on their CRT, which doubles up as a media player as well with a USB HDD plugged in.

Or an Xbox/PS3....?
Edited by: "Likely2" 20th Jan 2014
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants