How do I swap Windows 7 key to another laptop

11 replies
Found 6th Mar 2010
Im selling my laptop and want to transfer my Windows 7 key to my new laptop. How do I do this ?

11 Comments

i wouldn't imagine you can, good luck though

there was a thread about this just a couple of days ago. in a nutshell: you can't. your OEM win is linked to you motherboard.

Banned

something fishy going on here....

selling a laptop then effectively disabling its OS key

then you say you suddely found a link to transfer an oem key (which you cant, at all)

Original Poster

I bought the win7 separate, the laptop has a valid vista key which it came with.

upgrades and oem are not transferrable only retail is as someone pointed out before

if you have retail delete win7 of old laptop and reinstall vista then install win7 on new laptop and activate key might need to do it by phone

Original Poster

whats oem and retail ??

i bought my win7 from tesco when it was released. is that retail version ?

if u bought it pre isntalled its OEM
if you installed it yourself, its retail (i.e. disc)

When it asks for the key it'll tell you it's not valid ('cos you've already installed it on another PC), it'll then ask a series of questions before giving you a number to phone to get a new key. I know someone who did this 7 times with one retail disk.

rashriaz;8035960

whats oem and retail ??i bought my win7 from tesco when it was released. … whats oem and retail ??i bought my win7 from tesco when it was released. is that retail version ?

I am sure you have retail as are others but check the box if it looks like the one below you have the upgrade

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090706/Windows_7_box_270x327.jpg

or if you have retail it will look like this

http://www.centrumxp.pl/Img/Art/Windows7/Upgrade/win7_hp.jpg

What if your laptop with oem dies? does your oem version die to? coz you still have paid for it.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The never ending counting with pictures thread !4604843
    2. Premium baked beans just 99p for 4 cans from ALDI!2040
    3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769645
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet35113

See more discussions