How do the variable speed camera work (when there is several traffic lights)

Found 4th Aug 2017
for example there is one in brighton from the bottom of pier to the the marina, but inbewteen your likely to stop several times with lights so how do they determine the speed, is it done on a average car not having to stop for lights atall or something
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
variable speed or average speed, variable speed cameras tend to be in places like smart motorways where the speed limit can change to help maintain the flow of traffic, average speed cameras measure your average speed along a stretch of road using many cameras
Surely just don't speed?
Variable speed cameras = make sure you don't go above a speed at any point, that could change depending on the conditions/flow of traffic i.e. not a fixed speed on the road forever like you get with a normal speed sign.

Average speed cameras = don't go above a set speed over the period of the speed cameras.(Time taken divided by distance basically) This would be fairly pointless if there were alot of traffic lights on the road and you were likely to stop a fair amount.
Are they variable cameras or average speed camera..

You might find this worth a read.
I think it would just log you at each set of lights maybe and calculate your speed in conjunction with the lights.
I've never seen average speed cameras around Brighton Marina, there are two many variables that would impact an average speed calculation
darlodge1 h, 29 m ago

I've never seen average speed cameras around Brighton Marina, there are …I've never seen average speed cameras around Brighton Marina, there are two many variables that would impact an average speed calculation

VECTOR average speed camera, A259 - Marine Parade

According to speedcamerasuk.com there are average speed cameras at either end of Marine Parade and a speed camera situated halfway along.
Edited by: "andynicol" 4th Aug 2017
Thanks, I'll drive past and have a look at the weekend if I get a chance. I've never seen the average before which has is worrying, normally you can see them song way in the distance.

This weekend there is zero chance of speeding, it's pride weekend so the roads are grid lock
Unusual to have traffic lights in between. Unless they take into account traffic light data as well, which is not impossible with modern technology.

The traffic lights can also have cameras of course.
It makes me laugh that some people don't know what average means. So many times on the M3 cars speed past, and brake when they approach the yellow cameras. Dimwits
Dannyrobbo4th Aug

I think it would just log you at each set of lights maybe and calculate …I think it would just log you at each set of lights maybe and calculate your speed in conjunction with the lights.

This would be too complicated for camera to analyse every car going past, maybe in 20 years
darlodge4th Aug

I've never seen average speed cameras around Brighton Marina, there are …I've never seen average speed cameras around Brighton Marina, there are two many variables that would impact an average speed calculation

did you not see the signs that was saying it was being put in for like a month?
andynicol4th Aug

VECTOR average speed camera, A259 - Marine ParadeAccording to …VECTOR average speed camera, A259 - Marine ParadeAccording to speedcamerasuk.com there are average speed cameras at either end of Marine Parade and a speed camera situated halfway along.

Still don't understand how it deals with traffic lights
whelan1899 h, 21 m ago

This would be too complicated for camera to analyse every car going past, …This would be too complicated for camera to analyse every car going past, maybe in 20 years

It will just do it between each set. It's not that complicated for a system to know if you were stationary at traffic lights you will be stopped for a definitive amount of time it logs you and resets your speed until the next camera.

Thwy are not going to install a system they want to make money on in an area with traffic lights if they can't determine if you have stopped
Dannyrobbo3 h, 21 m ago

It will just do it between each set. It's not that complicated for a …It will just do it between each set. It's not that complicated for a system to know if you were stationary at traffic lights you will be stopped for a definitive amount of time it logs you and resets your speed until the next camera. Thwy are not going to install a system they want to make money on in an area with traffic lights if they can't determine if you have stopped

its all great in saying things (no offence) but i can't see anything that actually states how it works just hearsay, I would of thought it be on a officila website but most only talk about motorways and such, nothing about variable within traffic lights or in instances like brighton marina
whelan1891 h, 23 m ago

its all great in saying things (no offence) but i can't see anything that …its all great in saying things (no offence) but i can't see anything that actually states how it works just hearsay, I would of thought it be on a officila website but most only talk about motorways and such, nothing about variable within traffic lights or in instances like brighton marina

Given siemens now make many of the new systems coming in (sicore 2 and saftezone system) also produce most traffic light systems in the uk it would be reasonable to expect it's not impossible to link both up. I wouldn't ever take it as a given if you stop at a red light you have time you can make up, never mind that technology being 20 years away.

these systems take lots of investment and to think you'd write off most of the revenue generated because of a red light is sill.
whelan18919 h, 29 m ago

Still don't understand how it deals with traffic lights

Only if there was an average speed camera on each traffic light it could tell the average speed between each set...

however if theres only 2 cameras, one at each end of a stretch of road than has traffic lights, then stopping once at a red light throws the average speed out the window and doesn't give a true reflection off actual speed travelled when the vehicle is actually moving.

'Normal' speed cameras would be a better deterrent on a stretch containing traffic lights IMO.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants