Groups

How do you cancel a TV licence?

My digital signal with digi box has always been rubbish and about 8 weeks ago just stopped working completely, i've just thought, I don't actually miss watching the TV at all and don't think I need the licence to watch DVD's as long as I don't have any equipment plugged into the aerial?

I can't find anything about how to cancel the licence on their website, can anyone help me please?

32 Comments

tvlicensing.co.uk/che…p7/

It is on the opening page of their website, entitled "Refunds and Cancellations."

as long as you have a TV and an aerial ( ie the means to receive a signal ) you have to pay for a licence...

Give them a call and have your certificate/tv licence details to hand.

Original Poster

arcangel111;8636285

as long as you have a TV and an aerial ( ie the means to receive a signal … as long as you have a TV and an aerial ( ie the means to receive a signal ) you have to pay for a licence...

I shall ask them anyway as i've had a lot of people telling me different stories.

Watching TV on the internet
    You need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.
    Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+
    You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.
    Mobile phones
    A licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.

Basically if you're not watching live tv then you're fine.

I cancelled online but can't see where i did it.

It's not true that you need a license if you have a tv, you can definitely watch dvds on a tv without a license.

arcangel111;8636285

as long as you have a TV and an aerial ( ie the means to receive a signal … as long as you have a TV and an aerial ( ie the means to receive a signal ) you have to pay for a licence...

Nope, Communications Act:
    "If you own or possess a television set without installing or using it as a TV receiver (e.g. you only use it to watch videos or DVDs, or as a monitor for a games console) then you don’t need a TV Licence."

Thus as long as it is not plugged into an aerial you are fine...although our built in freeview picks up a signal albeit weak, but you can get a couple of channels!

Just remember they can and I believe usually do come round and check.

Original Poster

awoodhall2003;8636284

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/tv-licence-refunds-top7/It is on the opening page of their website, entitled "Refunds and Cancellations."

Thanks, I was obviously looking in the wrong place!!

Banned

arcangel111;8636285

you can keep the tv, as I have

I even have the aerial, but I have cut the coax so it cant reach the tv ( the aerial was struck by lightning and didnt work anyway, but heyho)

I keep my tv and dvd player (a portable now, the large tv died on me)
    my decision to no longer pay tv license was due to needing new aerial, tv and license due all at the same time, so i cut the a cable and informed tv licensing i no longer receive a tv signal, that is all that is needed to comply with the law, so i cant see any broadcasts, i comply with the law

they are happy, I am fine, I keep the tv and dvd for watching rental dvd's
    hope the op receives a bit of money back, not sure how they work out the money side, but it all helps if you get some back

Original Poster

williham;8636307

Watching TV on the internetYou need to be covered by a licence if you … Watching TV on the internetYou need to be covered by a licence if you watch TV online at the same time as it's being broadcast on conventional TV in the UK or the Channel Islands.Video recorders and digital recorders like Sky+You need a licence if you record TV as it's broadcast, whether that's on a conventional video recorder or digital box.Mobile phonesA licence covers you to watch TV as it's broadcast on a mobile phone, whether you're at home or out and about.Basically if you're not watching live tv then you're fine.I cancelled online but can't see where i did it.

I don't watch it on the internet either :-D

ok ok - i stand corrected

but if the aerial is still in place and you DO have the means to plug it in - i don't believe that a detector van is gonna believe you don't use it.. lol

once upon a time the brit forces got away without having a tv licence under crown immunity - that was taken away from us a little while ago - now as long as one person per "block" has a licence it's all good brother.. lol

Original Poster

Does anyone see a phone number? I don't know where my actual letter is and can't find one on the site, probably being totally blind again sorry

Original Poster

arcangel111;8636343

ok ok - i stand corrected but if the aerial is still in place and you … ok ok - i stand corrected but if the aerial is still in place and you DO have the means to plug it in - i don't believe that a detector van is gonna believe you don't use it.. lol once upon a time the brit forces got away without having a tv licence under crown immunity - that was taken away from us a little while ago - now as long as one person per "block" has a licence it's all good brother.. lol

But surely the detector van won't detect anything because you won't be watching the tv?

Banned

arcangel111;8636343

once upon a time the brit forces got away without having a tv licence … once upon a time the brit forces got away without having a tv licence under crown immunity - that was taken away from us a little while ago - now as long as one person per "block" has a licence it's all good brother.. lol

It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.

My work don't have any licences let alone one, when I leave I'm going to let the **** hit the fan :thumbsup: Saying that though do they have the right to come on site?

lumoruk;8636367

It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work … It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work don't have any licences let alone one, when I leave I'm going to let the **** hit the fan :thumbsup:

we were told one per housing unit.. ie The Block - upto as many as 100 guys in there..

( not in anymore so the rules may have changed slightly !!! )

Banned

RosieWoo;8636352

But surely the detector van won't detect anything because you won't be … But surely the detector van won't detect anything because you won't be watching the tv?

it is best to keep it simple, they may turn up and ask nicely to look at the tv, you may decide to let them see it (or not)

at the least, if you dont plan to use it, tie up the coax or put it away so it isnt in the tv
    We can guess whether the detector vans work or not, or all the vague legalities, but if its not connected, it is more simple

Banned

arcangel111;8636382

we were told one per housing unit.. ie The Block - upto as many as 100 … we were told one per housing unit.. ie The Block - upto as many as 100 guys in there.. ( not in anymore so the rules may have changed slightly !!! )

do you have a whip round between you all (probably a quid each or so?) or does one person pay for the rest?

we paid by squadron - a couple of quid was given in each and one person paid for it for the year.

Banned

arcangel111;8636423

we paid by squadron - a couple of quid was given in each and one person … we paid by squadron - a couple of quid was given in each and one person paid for it for the year.

best way, hurts a lot less than 150 quid or so :thumbsup:

lumoruk;8636367

It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work … It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work don't have any licences let alone one, when I leave I'm going to let the **** hit the fan :thumbsup: Saying that though do they have the right to come on site?

That is what I was under the impression it was as well. As in our student let we are required to have one each, not just to locks on the doors, but due to having separate tenancy agreements, yet TV Licensing said students only need one per house...they need to know their own laws! As that only applied if we have a joint tenancy agreement like majority of student lets do.

But I don't care anyway as only one guy has a connected TV and thus if they ever checked (we don't have a license) it is whoever is found watching TV when an Enquiry Officer visits you is the one who risks a prosecution and a fine. So it is on his head anyway! :whistling:

like i said we used to come under Crown Immunity - because we were never in country all the time we were allowed to not have them - but then it came about that sometimes the accomodation did have manning all year round so we had the CI taken away and had to purchase one licence for the block..

used to have detector vans on our gates checking all the time - but weren't granted entry

lumoruk;8636367

It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work … It's supposed to be one per room if you have a lock on the door.My work don't have any licences let alone one, when I leave I'm going to let the **** hit the fan :thumbsup: Saying that though do they have the right to come on site?

arcangel111;8636483

like i said we used to come under Crown Immunity - because we were never … like i said we used to come under Crown Immunity - because we were never in country all the time we were allowed to not have them - but then it came about that sometimes the accomodation did have manning all year round so we had the CI taken away and had to purchase one licence for the block.. used to have detector vans on our gates checking all the time - but weren't granted entry

LOL :thumbsup:
    One between you all isnt bad though. We are moving in the next few days and TV License is one thing I hate, wish there was a way round it ie prove you don't watch BBC live! As the only thing usually watched live on BBC is Eastenders by the other half...which she could watch on iplayer via the ps3 anyways just a little later, or the whole lot on a Sunday on iplayer!

Rather then open my own new thread, does anyone know if there is still a grace period of moving into a property before you have to purchase your license?

jubbyme;8636387

it is best to keep it simple, they may turn up and ask nicely to look at … it is best to keep it simple, they may turn up and ask nicely to look at the tv, you may decide to let them see it (or not)at the least, if you dont plan to use it, tie up the coax or put it away so it isnt in the tvWe can guess whether the detector vans work or not, or all the vague legalities, but if its not connected, it is more simple

Based on that most households have a TV the computer prints out a list of households which do not hold a current TV licence. As long as the TV is not plugged into a ariel or receiving live TV you do not need a licence.
    The detectors can show what channel the TV is running on and these days are small enough that they can walk around a block of apartments to find out where each TV is.
    In most cases TVs still have a tuner running even when watching DVDs hence if a TV is detected the polite man will ask to see the installation to see if its plugged into an ariel when you say you only watch recorded TV

If its plugged in its going to cost you via a trip to court.
    Since things change you can expect a knock at the door every 12 -18 months as there is no box to tick which can exclude you from the process.

:thumbsup:

awoodhall2003;8636510

LOL :thumbsup:One between you all isnt bad though. We are moving in the … LOL :thumbsup:One between you all isnt bad though. We are moving in the next few days and TV License is one thing I hate, wish there was a way round it ie prove you don't watch BBC live! As the only thing usually watched live on BBC is Eastenders by the other half...which she could watch on iplayer via the ps3 anyways just a little later, or the whole lot on a Sunday on iplayer!Rather then open my own new thread, does anyone know if there is still a grace period of moving into a property before you have to purchase your license?

No, if you are unlucky to be caught out:oops:

Banned

DEALWARRIOR;8636574

Based on that most households have a TV the computer prints out a list of … Based on that most households have a TV the computer prints out a list of households which do not hold a current TV licence. As long as the TV is not plugged into a ariel or receiving live TV you do not need a licence. The detectors can show what channel the TV is running on and these days are small enough that they can walk around a block of apartments to find out where each TV is.In most cases TVs still have a tuner running even when watching DVDs hence if a TV is detected the polite man will ask to see the installation to see if its plugged into an ariel when you say you only watch recorded TVIf its plugged in its going to cost you via a trip to court.Since things change you can expect a knock at the door every 12 -18 months as there is no box to tick which can exclude you from the process.:thumbsup:

yep, remove the coax completely!

It has been 3 years for me since i informed them, have had no reminders, but in the end im sure I will.

DEALWARRIOR;8636585

No, if you are unlucky to be caught out:oops:

Nah there use to be a grace period only a couple of years ago. As I phoned them up the week before we moved and if memory serves it was 14 or 28 days grace period in which to purchase it from when we started watching TV.

Banned

+1 to everyone

last time the tv license question came up, it ended in arguments about you must such as such, and stealing this and that, and being within 100 yards of a tv meant you were paying tv license for the rest of your life etc, just all argumentative opinions, and disregarded facts

Nice to have some grown ups!

DEALWARRIOR;8636574

Based on that most households have a TV the computer prints out a list of … Based on that most households have a TV the computer prints out a list of households which do not hold a current TV licence. As long as the TV is not plugged into a ariel or receiving live TV you do not need a licence. The detectors can show what channel the TV is running on and these days are small enough that they can walk around a block of apartments to find out where each TV is.In most cases TVs still have a tuner running even when watching DVDs hence if a TV is detected the polite man will ask to see the installation to see if its plugged into an ariel when you say you only watch recorded TVIf its plugged in its going to cost you via a trip to court.Since things change you can expect a knock at the door every 12 -18 months as there is no box to tick which can exclude you from the process.:thumbsup:

That sounds like scaremongering where did you hear that? I have heard conflicting views but generally that the detector vans are so rare as they cost so much that they are rarely used and also the handheld ones even the vans arent that sophisticated as they cant pinpoint exact signals and also not sure about now but back a year or two ago couldnt detect lcd ones due to the differences in technology, seems a bit lol that they can detect what channel you are using.

Though also I have heard that they have zero rights to enter the property and even if they enter say if a flatmate lets them in they have to prove to court evidence that you were using it which they dont have the legal power to do.

Heard a story a few months ago cant remember where that a guy deliberately phoned tv licensing to come and check he wasnt using a aerial and this guy came to his door but didnt come in then tried taking him to court as the guy said he owed a Toshiba tv to the detector man and the court case TV licensing claimed the detector man saw him watching live tv on a Toshiba tv and the guy managed to get it thrown out as he tricked the man because he actually owned a Sony tv!

arcangel111;8636343

but if the aerial is still in place and you DO have the means to plug it … but if the aerial is still in place and you DO have the means to plug it in - i don't believe that a detector van is gonna believe you don't use it.. lol

lulz. Someone who actually believes in detector vans.
    I have some magic beans, do you want to buy some?

seb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23792388

And?

seb

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-23792388

You are like an archaeologist, but with internet threads... thanks for dusting this one out of the ruins for all of humanity to enjoy once more.

Stupidity has also hit a new peak, not paid my TV licence for 10+ years, if you have half a brain its easy not to help fund the BBC spreading their government propaganda and never be prosecuted.

some licence-fans (or opposers) may be interested.

i haven't owned a tv for years but they still keep sending me their junk mail (laughable) warnings - "we take this matter very seriously".
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …246804
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846312
      3. Best advert ever to be seen.1414
      4. Your dream gaming set up?2554

See more discussions