How do you check if a Online retailer is genuine

Posted 18th AprEdited by:"AnkerMan"
When Trustpilot fails you and google is not returning the results you need, are there other options to determine if a comapny is legitimate?
I cant use a credit card at the moment so payment is either via Debit card or Paypal.
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
Post the retailer on here mate and you'll get some opinions
You can do a Whois lookup on the internet address , if it’s recently registered then avoid. Look up the company address then use google maps to see if it’s someone’s house or an actual business. Look for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar on the site. These are all red flags to avoid.
It looks like you should avoid like the corona virus
Candystore18/04/2020 10:45

https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/trotec24.dk

Was just reading their press brief or whatever, and that would make sense as they say "Having said this, our heart actually beats for the border area to the Netherlands." I was looking for UK.
Edited by: "AnkerMan" 18th Apr
AnkerMan18/04/2020 10:49

Was just reading their press brief or whatever, and that would make sense …Was just reading their press brief or whatever, and that would make sense as they say "Having said this, our heart actually beats for the border area to the Netherlands." I was looking for UK.Still, they dont really have a lot of feedback so hard to determine what to do....

The company isn't based in the UK and going by the reviews I'd avoid
Generally if somewhere takes paypal, I'm usually happy to use even if scant other info.

Also this site has plenty of info, phone no.s etc. A warning sign is usually no address etc and just a 'contact form' for getting in touch.
discozohan18/04/2020 10:41

You can do a Whois lookup on the internet address , if it’s recently r …You can do a Whois lookup on the internet address , if it’s recently registered then avoid. Look up the company address then use google maps to see if it’s someone’s house or an actual business. Look for any spelling mistakes or bad grammar on the site. These are all red flags to avoid.

Are you referring to this website whois.com/
AnkerMan18/04/2020 10:56

Are you referring to this website https://www.whois.com/

Yeah. There’s a section called Whois lookup that will give you details you want
Website is nearly 8 years old. Based in Germany. Has very little traffic through its site and very few sites point to it. It could be a small company that has a web presence just to be noticed.

Id take the punt if you can use paypal but dont expect Amazon quality speeds or customer service if it all goes wrong.

I doubt it is a scam site.
Got one of their Air Conditioners (Through Amazon)
ArcadeAssassin18/04/2020 10:59

Website is nearly 8 years old. Based in Germany. Has very little traffic …Website is nearly 8 years old. Based in Germany. Has very little traffic through its site and very few sites point to it. It could be a small company that has a web presence just to be noticed. Id take the punt if you can use paypal but dont expect Amazon quality speeds or customer service if it all goes wrong. I doubt it is a scam site.

I didnt think it was a scam site but this discussion was about how best to do a little research on subject.
I just saw delivery costs to UK which is £80! And it was hidden behind drop down bar. Their info on returns policy is not as clear as i would like so this is a NO NO from me.
AVOID
Read all of the contact us, about, privacy, returns pages etc.
You can see on the one you are interested in, that English is not their first language and they are in Germany.
Probably not a scam, but not advisable to use them, certainly give the current problems.
Pandamansays18/04/2020 13:12

Read all of the contact us, about, privacy, returns pages etc.You can see …Read all of the contact us, about, privacy, returns pages etc.You can see on the one you are interested in, that English is not their first language and they are in Germany.Probably not a scam, but not advisable to use them, certainly give the current problems.

Just thought id mention that they are on ebay and thats where they do a lot of business. Perhaps more so than on their actual website. There feedback rating for the month is actually reasonable but i still wont take the chance. In future i will be combining ebay and amazon searches when doing research on a company, amongst other pointers mentioned in this thread
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions