how do you choose a internet provider?

Found 4th Apr 2017
looking online and been on dozens of providers its so hard to pick one that will offer a good service, most of the time it offers no where near what package I pay for or it is goes hours being really slow mostly in the peak hours where you would want to use it (busy times) which is aggravating

what do you do? thnks..
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
go to broadband choices
See if Virgin Media is available in your area. If they are, get them. Fastest BB around.

If you have a mate/family member with VM you and them get £50 off your first bill for them recommending you.

I have had Sky, BT in the past. Only because VM were not available in the areas I was in unfortunately.
benjammin316

See if Virgin Media is available in your area. If they are, get them. … See if Virgin Media is available in your area. If they are, get them. Fastest BB around.If you have a mate/family member with VM you and them get £50 off your first bill for them recommending you.I have had Sky, BT in the past. Only because VM were not available in the areas I was in unfortunately.

Thankyou, from researching it seems to be this as the same case, I remember having virgin media few years back and even though I was not getting what I was paying for MB wise it was still better then all other ones i've had since
BT are ok....i have them, no issue with their fibre
in hull you don't
OK
Let's be impartial.
I have had a lot of broadband suppliers and they all boil down to one thing. Customer Service.
I would rather pay a couple of quid more and have someone on the other end of the phone sort something out very quickly.
Unfortunately, these a few and far between now.
Plusnet are cheap (and owned by BT), but customer service is good.
BT have you on the automated service for 2 days before they answer
Sky's service is appalling. Both hardware and customer service.
I will be switching to Virgin soon, but I can't tell you anything about their customer service.

All the rest are parasites onto these lot (John Lewis etc).
Whoever you use for fibre goes through BT anyway and are completely dependent on their hardware service.

One bit of advice if you decide on fibre (everyone but Virgin).
Go here:
dslchecker.bt.com
Stick your number in.
Next screen look for the following
"VDSL Range A (Clean)"
You will see the high and low numbers of the download and upload speeds.
Next to that you will see the most important bit
"Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)"
This is what the ISP will give you for your maximum speed

Amazing how the maximum you can have is almost 20% BELOW the low speed. But, hey, that's BT for you
Apart from the router they're all pretty much the same, all use the same physical line (except Virgin), just look at the download speed and if they throttle, that's it.
No problems with SSE broadband here.

They even booked bt openreach to dig up the road and laid a new telephone line when there was a problem with the line.

avoid talk talk. dreadful customer service from Mali call centre and slow at problem solving.
Virgin have just been prosecuted for misrepresentation. I can tell you from my experience that they happily sell services in oversubscribed areas. I was getting 7mbps maximum and 1 to 2 Mbps at peak times. Now on Plusnet and just upgraded from DSL to fibre because DSL was poor. Don't expect to get decent service from a basic package unless you live in a sparsely populated area like my daughter who gets 9mbps with Plusnet DSL. In my experience all customer service is crap.
With sky myself and never had a problem although everyone throttles speed so take headline download rates with a pinch of salt
You avoid TalkTalk like the plague, then all others are fair game. Do you want ADSL or fibre? I'm with Sky, personally, but only because I haggled a good deal with them. Been with Sky for 5 years and I think the connection has only dropped four times.
Edited by: "squiff" 4th Apr 2017
My simple steps are:

1. Find out which providers are unlimited and do not do any throttling or peak time ****.

2. Out of those providers see which is currently the cheapest for what I want: Max Fibre speed, no calls, no tv.

Make sure to include cashback from quidco and topcashback.

3. Go with cheapest.

Providers that I know off the top of my head which fit this criteria are: BT, Sky, EE (fibre only), Talk Talk - there are probably others, but you'll have to look.

I agree with squiff about Talk talk, they are not the best company but are one of the cheaper priced. If you do go with them, change your DNS in the router settings so they do not hijack your internet searches with ads.
Speed is often down to local issues like overcapacity that you may get whichever ISP you're on, unless you change to a different physical network (FWA, Satellite, Mobile Broadband, Virgin Cable).

Sometimes it can be throttling or something on the ISP's network though.

As for good customer service you generally have to avoid the big ISPs and go for a mid-sized or small choice. Uno, Zen, IDNet etc.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants