Expired

How do you cope with bad news?

Found 9th Jan
How do you cope with bad news?

I suffered two back fractures a few months back and I made a full recovery last month- or so I thought. Last week I started having tingling and numbness in my leg and it was only after talking to someone else today that I realised how serious it could be.

Planning to go to the doctor but there are lots of possibilities of what it could be and at the best it’s nerve damage. At the worst it’s something like diabetes, a slipped disc etc.

When I had my final X-Ray I was lucky enough to have just scraped past to not have surgery. And now if this is something like nerve damage as a result, they may change their mind.

So I’m trying to prepare myself for bad news but I don’t want to stress out too much. How do you all cope with bad news?

Tia
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody else. Have a little look at my list and pick a couple (reading the Daily Mail helps)

Vegans
Immigrants (inc Scots and the Welsh)
Gingers
Single parents (male or female)
Vegetarians
Snowflakes
Remaindrs
Poor people
Rich people
Anybody under the age of 30
Environmentalists
Russians
Toby Blair
Communists
Kay Burley
Sugar free sweets
Diane "totally incompetent" Abbott
Staffordshire terriers
Criminals

AND FINALLY

the BBC and its licence fee.
URGENT.... get yourself to A+E asap. Any numbness/tingling in your thighs coming from a back problem needs Immediate investigation.

It could be a sign that one of the vertebrae is compressing your spinal cord.

My son thought he had slipped a disc in his back and tried to carry on whilst waiting for a scan, his main symptoms were;
Chronic back pain
numbness in the back of his thighs
pins and needles in his legs
Shooting pains down both legs

He needed emergency surgery for a fractured disc and has made a good recovery, but he was told those initial symptoms indicate a really serious problem and should always be investigated urgently.

I'm really not trying to worry/frighten you but please don't "plan" to see a doctor, especially as you already know you've had a fracture in that area, certainly don't try to"carry on" this can get much worse very quickly. My son was lucky not to be in a wheelchair.

Please don't think you're wasting A&E's time, this really is what they're there for.
36 Comments
Ahh, that sounds stressful indeed! Wish you all the best, and I guess in moments like these our minds will always think the worst outcome. I'm sure you're probably more worried than you need to be. Whatever the case, just try to keep yourself busy, that's the best way.
Try not to over analyse and think glass half full not glass half empty. Worrying about it now is just going to stress you further. It might be nothing serious. I know this is easier said than done, but it is the best thing you can do. I've had more than my fair share of bad news and bad luck to cope with over the last few years and if you let it get to you, it destroys you.
As above really. I try to think of how much worse it could be. Back fracture could have resulted in paralysis so its good that it didnt. Doesnt work for everyone tho but i guess keep your mind busy is the best way. Hope you get well soon but get to doc asap you could turn something minor into something worse if you ignore it
No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody else. Have a little look at my list and pick a couple (reading the Daily Mail helps)

Vegans
Immigrants (inc Scots and the Welsh)
Gingers
Single parents (male or female)
Vegetarians
Snowflakes
Remaindrs
Poor people
Rich people
Anybody under the age of 30
Environmentalists
Russians
Toby Blair
Communists
Kay Burley
Sugar free sweets
Diane "totally incompetent" Abbott
Staffordshire terriers
Criminals

AND FINALLY

the BBC and its licence fee.
A problem shared is a problem halved. I guess talking to a someone about how you're feeling and just having someone listen and reassure you that it will be ok, can help. Wish you all the best
Cake.
I just get on with things none of us are making it out alive anyway.
Whatever happens, remember things take time to heal and things can change over time. Hope you get good news.
Just remember whatever happens you are still alive! Being alive creates possibilities and the chance for new experiences and adventure!
Graham19795 h, 5 m ago

No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody …No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody else. Have a little look at my list and pick a couple (reading the Daily Mail helps)VegansImmigrants (inc Scots and the Welsh)GingersSingle parents (male or female)VegetariansSnowflakesRemaindrsPoor peopleRich peopleAnybody under the age of 30EnvironmentalistsRussiansToby BlairCommunistsKay BurleySugar free sweetsDiane "totally incompetent" AbbottStaffordshire terriersCriminalsAND FINALLYthe BBC and its licence fee.

I am extreamly disappionted not to get a mention here
this may sound a bit , stiff upper lip, but I keep calm and carry on, if I am struggling to do that, I go to bed as often as I can for as long as I can, time heals
Graham19795 h, 34 m ago

No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody …No matter what the problem just do what Graham1979 does and blame somebody else. Have a little look at my list and pick a couple (reading the Daily Mail helps)VegansImmigrants (inc Scots and the Welsh)GingersSingle parents (male or female)VegetariansSnowflakesRemaindrsPoor peopleRich peopleAnybody under the age of 30EnvironmentalistsRussiansToby BlairCommunistsKay BurleySugar free sweetsDiane "totally incompetent" AbbottStaffordshire terriersCriminalsAND FINALLYthe BBC and its licence fee.

... Don't make me like you.

OP you might have bruised the nerve somehow and even if there is some damage this can get better over time. All the best!
URGENT.... get yourself to A+E asap. Any numbness/tingling in your thighs coming from a back problem needs Immediate investigation.

It could be a sign that one of the vertebrae is compressing your spinal cord.

My son thought he had slipped a disc in his back and tried to carry on whilst waiting for a scan, his main symptoms were;
Chronic back pain
numbness in the back of his thighs
pins and needles in his legs
Shooting pains down both legs

He needed emergency surgery for a fractured disc and has made a good recovery, but he was told those initial symptoms indicate a really serious problem and should always be investigated urgently.

I'm really not trying to worry/frighten you but please don't "plan" to see a doctor, especially as you already know you've had a fracture in that area, certainly don't try to"carry on" this can get much worse very quickly. My son was lucky not to be in a wheelchair.

Please don't think you're wasting A&E's time, this really is what they're there for.
miles1363 h, 42 m ago

this may sound a bit , stiff upper lip, but I keep calm and carry on, if I …this may sound a bit , stiff upper lip, but I keep calm and carry on, if I am struggling to do that, I go to bed as often as I can for as long as I can, time heals

Please don't expand on that.
miles1364 h, 19 m ago

I am extreamly disappionted not to get a mention here

Miles that's not the SEXY list so you're not on.
Biggest issue in our society is the massive corporaions and there monopilization, do what they do and blame the problem on the people with no money/immigrants
The Pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The leader adjusts
Graham197912 h, 0 m ago

You missed out the Mirror.
The reversed anti-image of yourself.
Graham197914 h, 41 m ago

You forgot sugar free iron bru!
Oneday776 h, 47 m ago

You missed out the Mirror.The reversed anti-image of yourself.

Oh that's so awesome
deleted1431257
Graham197919 h, 22 m ago

What happened to “Muslims”?
deleted1431257
I play on the PS4 or Switch Mario Odyssey/Mario Kart Deluxe to forget and get through the rest of the day, but deflect any rage on stupid xbox fanboys running on powah of the cloudzzzz and their favourite no-game flop of a “gaming” console.
Don’t exactly see how or why it’s gone off-topic but it’s not really appreciated much. Thanks for the first few suggestions though
Dolphinzz24 m ago

Don’t exactly see how or why it’s gone off-topic but it’s not really appre …Don’t exactly see how or why it’s gone off-topic but it’s not really appreciated much. Thanks for the first few suggestions though

I think they're trying you distract you to take your mind off more serious things not sure it's worked though.
MSK.28 m ago

I think they're trying you distract you to take your mind off more serious …I think they're trying you distract you to take your mind off more serious things not sure it's worked though.

Nah not really as it confused me more than anything
Heading to the doctor most likely tomorrow despite work etc as it’s got worse and there’s a direct link between back pain and the numbness/pins and needles. I’m super freaking out now but trying to stay calm.
Edited by: "Mechtup" 11th Jan
Dolphinzz2 h, 3 m ago

Heading to the doctor most likely tomorrow despite work etc as it’s got w …Heading to the doctor most likely tomorrow despite work etc as it’s got worse and there’s a direct link between back pain and the numbness/pins and needles. I’m super freaking out now but trying to stay calm.

Dolphinzz I thought as booky did above but didn't want to be over dramatic.
S/he is absolutely right, this is a serious thing and you need to see someone about it asap. I would go to A&E tomorrow during the day when it's hopefully quieter.
Cr0m1 h, 50 m ago

Dolphinzz I thought as booky did above but didn't want to be over …Dolphinzz I thought as booky did above but didn't want to be over dramatic. S/he is absolutely right, this is a serious thing and you need to see someone about it asap. I would go to A&E tomorrow during the day when it's hopefully quieter.

Definitely can’t go to A&E (nearest one is half an hour+ away and I have work and volunteer work) but will see about same day appointment at the doctors
I just use pills,drink,drugs,paid sex,free sex and then face my demons the next morming
Dolphinzz17 m ago

Definitely can’t go to A&E (nearest one is half an hour+ away and I have w …Definitely can’t go to A&E (nearest one is half an hour+ away and I have work and volunteer work) but will see about same day appointment at the doctors

I think you should call 111 and tell them your symptoms. Work should really not be important compared to this. What you are describing is really serious, they may suggest sending someone to get you.

The sooner you get help, the better chance there is a of a good outcome.
Edited by: "MSK." 11th Jan
MSK.8 m ago

I think you should call 111 and tell them your symptoms. Work should …I think you should call 111 and tell them your symptoms. Work should really not be important compared to this. What you are describing is really serious, they may suggest sending someone to get you.The sooner you get help, the better chance there is a of a good outcome.

I had two months off due to the spinal injury. I can skip the volunteering as I know there should be cover or it shouldn’t be too busy (library). That’s during the day time so it should be fine anyway
Dolphinzz5 m ago

I had two months off due to the spinal injury. I can skip the volunteering …I had two months off due to the spinal injury. I can skip the volunteering as I know there should be cover or it shouldn’t be too busy (library). That’s during the day time so it should be fine anyway

If it is serious, you should be able to get a doctors note to help with work problems. I don't think it would hurt to ring 111 and get their opinion. If they say you need help you will get it, they say there's no problem waiting then at least it will put your mind at rest. There's no downside really.
Edited by: "MSK." 11th Jan
Hope you've got yourself to see a doctor today❤
MSK.1 h, 33 m ago

Hope you've got yourself to see a doctor today❤

Ah sorry to say but I was choc a block so I didn’t. Will 100% be going on Monday though. It’s not been so bad so I think it’s getting better anyway
Dolphinzz6 m ago

Ah sorry to say but I was choc a block so I didn’t. Will 100% be going on M …Ah sorry to say but I was choc a block so I didn’t. Will 100% be going on Monday though. It’s not been so bad so I think it’s getting better anyway

I'm glad you've seen some improvement
MSK.12th Jan

I'm glad you've seen some improvement

Well it seems I cursed it! Went all day yesterday without it and then bam today I thought I’d wear my boots which don’t have much of a heel (half an inch maybe or just above?) that I hadn’t worn in ages.

100% going to the doctor tomorrow just to make sure it’s nothing bad.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants