How do you feel about Fathers Day ?

Found 17th Jun
I feel fathers day sad one i no longer have my dad around RIP Great man

my children quite ambivalent to a difficult father always a strain F D !

just interested .......
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Always been an important day for me... though working this year, so won't be able to get over to see my dad. My biological father left when I was 2 or 3, and I rarely see him these days.

My step dad though - met my mum when I was around 4 or 5, and at around 6 I remember waking up one day to little presents on the table for my brother, sister and I. My mum explained that 'Nick' as we'd called him since we'd known him, would really like it if we would consider calling him 'Dad'. Back then, I didn't even consider the weight of his request, or why it meant so much to him, and without my real dad present, we thought nothing of it...

A year or so later, proceedings were started to allow him to legally adopt us as his own - and by the time I was 11, after countless meetings with a social worker, and a day out at the family court, it had all gone through. Even then, I don't think I really appreciated the gravity of what he'd committed to - it was only many years later, probably after having my own children, that it really struck me.

So yea, in my opinion, it's really a day to be thankful of him and what he quite willingly took on. Legend.

I still see my boilogical father, but he's still not all that bothered. Flits in and out of our lives as it suits him... and that suits me just fine!
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 17th Jun
I got home made cards, breakfast in bed and socks stating I’m No.1.
What isn’t to like.?
I’ll soon be older than my father ever was. Today is a reminder for me to do what cruel health never let mine do, see the kids grow up.
My dad passed away 16 years ago just after the birth of my son (his first grandson) and it still hurts every day. My father in law treated me as one of his own kids and I looked to him as my dad too... so when he passed away last October it hit me harder than I thought.. more so at his funeral.. I was in bits.

my kids know this day upsets me more than others and they do everything they can to make me feel special and loved. As I'm working today they surprised me with my cards and a book I wanted yesterday... not big fancy gifts just small things they know I like and hand drawn card (from my daughter)

I don't know why people are against days like this .. seeing it as a gimmick or money making scheme for "card shops" etc

I hate it because of the way it makes me feel in missing my dads and yet I love it because of the way my kids look at me.
Edited by: "arcangel111" 17th Jun
I lost my Dad 31 years ago today. still think about him every day. Fathers and Mothers day can be cruel when you've lost your parents.So remember to tell them that you love them every day because when they're gone, they're gone forever.
33 Comments
I got home made cards, breakfast in bed and socks stating I’m No.1.
What isn’t to like.?
I’ll soon be older than my father ever was. Today is a reminder for me to do what cruel health never let mine do, see the kids grow up.
My first year without my dad who passed away due to cancer.
I never really put too much thought into it, a card & a keepsake gift is enough for me but now I just feel sad for everyone who has lost their fathers.
bp24119 m ago

I never really put too much thought into it, a card & a keepsake gift is …I never really put too much thought into it, a card & a keepsake gift is enough for me but now I just feel sad for everyone who has lost their fathers.

Don’t be. While it does hurt, it’s I a reminder that tomorrow won’t always come. Making us do the best by our kids.

I know had mine never passed, we’d never have moved, wouldn’t have met my wife and have the great kids I have now. Fate is cruel at the time but you make the most of what you can, even if it is years later.
With the way things are going we won’t be allowed to celebrate fathers, mothers yes but not fathers. Lots of stories about this week, even a card shop selling cards for give to mother’s of single parent families, none of the, the other way around. Would say it’s the PC brigade gone mad but don’t think this one is them
I lost my Dad 31 years ago today. still think about him every day. Fathers and Mothers day can be cruel when you've lost your parents.So remember to tell them that you love them every day because when they're gone, they're gone forever.
themachman7 m ago

I lost my Dad 31 years ago today. still think about him every day. Fathers …I lost my Dad 31 years ago today. still think about him every day. Fathers and Mothers day can be cruel when you've lost your parents.So remember to tell them that you love them every day because when they're gone, they're gone forever.

Shed more than a few tears there, so right what you’ve said mmmmachman, something so easy to do, yet, so easy to forget
I firstly think of all all the people who don’t have a father anymore, on my social media I always put a post up in regards to people who have lost their father. I have mine so don’t need to rub it in to everyone who hasn’t.

I find it ridiculous when people put a post up to their father saying happy fathers day but the father doesn’t even have social media. Anything for likes

I don’t really follow the crowd and do things when society and the shops think I should. Mother’s Day, Father’s Day, Valentines. I show appreciation for these people in my life in my own time. Buying a card or a gift isn’t appreciation, phone them up on a random day through the year and tell them you love them or surprise them with something they like.
Women's Day, father's Day, valentine's Day, mother's Day.... What makes that particular day extra special? Do we forget that there are 364 other days to make special for our loved ones?
If father's Day was in 3 months time would it be any different?

Bs consumerism days that's all it is ?
mattsk14 m ago

Women's Day, father's Day, valentine's Day, mother's Day.... What makes …Women's Day, father's Day, valentine's Day, mother's Day.... What makes that particular day extra special? Do we forget that there are 364 other days to make special for our loved ones?If father's Day was in 3 months time would it be any different?Bs consumerism days that's all it is ?

Some see it as a day for saying thank you for the support, others as a half hearted effort to make up for not being too bothered. The ones I have the most sympathy for are the parents that have lost or been separated from their children.
deleted79467
eslick1 h, 11 m ago

With the way things are going we won’t be allowed to celebrate fathers, m …With the way things are going we won’t be allowed to celebrate fathers, mothers yes but not fathers. Lots of stories about this week, even a card shop selling cards for give to mother’s of single parent families, none of the, the other way around. Would say it’s the PC brigade gone mad but don’t think this one is them

eslick1 h, 11 m ago

With the way things are going we won’t be allowed to celebrate fathers, m …With the way things are going we won’t be allowed to celebrate fathers, mothers yes but not fathers. Lots of stories about this week, even a card shop selling cards for give to mother’s of single parent families, none of the, the other way around. Would say it’s the PC brigade gone mad but don’t think this one is them

what campaign against fathers day ?
thats a new one on me
mattsk25 m ago

Women's Day, father's Day, valentine's Day, mother's Day.... What makes …Women's Day, father's Day, valentine's Day, mother's Day.... What makes that particular day extra special? Do we forget that there are 364 other days to make special for our loved ones?If father's Day was in 3 months time would it be any different?Bs consumerism days that's all it is ?

Yes it would be different.

17 September is Batman Day, & Batman also feels sad on Father's Day.
deleted7946717th Jun

what campaign against fathers day ? thats a new one on me

Didn’t say there was a campaign, just plenty of stories out there at the moment in lots of media outlets this week.
It's only 11.50 so my 18 year old is still in bed! Apparently I get dinner cooked for me which will be very nice.
Always been an important day for me... though working this year, so won't be able to get over to see my dad. My biological father left when I was 2 or 3, and I rarely see him these days.

My step dad though - met my mum when I was around 4 or 5, and at around 6 I remember waking up one day to little presents on the table for my brother, sister and I. My mum explained that 'Nick' as we'd called him since we'd known him, would really like it if we would consider calling him 'Dad'. Back then, I didn't even consider the weight of his request, or why it meant so much to him, and without my real dad present, we thought nothing of it...

A year or so later, proceedings were started to allow him to legally adopt us as his own - and by the time I was 11, after countless meetings with a social worker, and a day out at the family court, it had all gone through. Even then, I don't think I really appreciated the gravity of what he'd committed to - it was only many years later, probably after having my own children, that it really struck me.

So yea, in my opinion, it's really a day to be thankful of him and what he quite willingly took on. Legend.

I still see my boilogical father, but he's still not all that bothered. Flits in and out of our lives as it suits him... and that suits me just fine!
Edited by: "miikeyblue" 17th Jun
My dad passed away 16 years ago just after the birth of my son (his first grandson) and it still hurts every day. My father in law treated me as one of his own kids and I looked to him as my dad too... so when he passed away last October it hit me harder than I thought.. more so at his funeral.. I was in bits.

my kids know this day upsets me more than others and they do everything they can to make me feel special and loved. As I'm working today they surprised me with my cards and a book I wanted yesterday... not big fancy gifts just small things they know I like and hand drawn card (from my daughter)

I don't know why people are against days like this .. seeing it as a gimmick or money making scheme for "card shops" etc

I hate it because of the way it makes me feel in missing my dads and yet I love it because of the way my kids look at me.
Edited by: "arcangel111" 17th Jun
arcangel1119 m ago

My dad passed away 16 years ago just after the birth of my son (his first …My dad passed away 16 years ago just after the birth of my son (his first grandson) and it still hurts every day. My father in law treated me as one of his own kids and I looked to him as my dad too... so when he passed away last October it hit me harder than I thought.. more so at his funeral.. I was in bits. my kids know this day upsets me more than others and they do everything they can to make me feel special and loved. As I'm working today they surprised me with my cards and a book I wanted yesterday... not big fancy gifts just small things they know I like and hand drawn card (from my daughter) I don't know why people are against days like this .. seeing it as a gimmick or money making scheme for "card shops" etc I hate it because of the way it makes me feel in missing my dads and yet I love it because of the way my kids look at me.

As 'gimmicky' as these days may be, at the end of the day, above all else, they're providing employment to tens of thousands of people up and down the country.
I realise these days there are many who have never known their Father, and I can't imagine what this day is like for them.

I'm blessed to be able to say my Dad was always there for me - every day, not just one day - and I thank God for him to this day, even though he passed over 20 September 2002.

I often think of him (- and it doesn't have to be Father's Day for me to think of him). I often think of all those whom I have loved and lost - especially my Dad and my Mum, also my younger brother just a few weeks ago (how this day must be for his kids ).

I don't know about putting one day aside and calling it Father's Day, my Dad was worth far more than one day a year.

For all those who have never known their Father - bless you; for all those who have loved and lost their Father - bless you; and to all those who still have their Father - bless them - always and forever.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 17th Jun
I don't hate Father's Day, I have no feelings about it one way or the other. My old man was a walk off (before I was two years old), my stepdad was a vicious nutcase whose actions led to me being institutionalised then fostered. I wasn't close to my Mum either because she wouldn't get out of the situation before things got out of hand.

On the plus side, never having a father figure in my life didn't stop me from being a decent father to my own kids and I do feel appreciated today.
My dad died in 2002. Just back from taking my son to visit his father's grave to wish him happy father's day. Thinking of everybody out there missing their dad.
My thoughts are with the full or half orphans - who grow up without the guidance, emotional, psychological & financial support of one or both parents. And to add to it, a whole bunch of people (uncles, grandparents, foster people) trying to be those things which they will never be, no matter how good their intentions are.

So if you are a man who has abandoned their children - perhaps now adults - take a shower, brush your teeth, ditch the girlfriend, cigarretes and/or booze for the day, put on some decent clothes on & go and show your face to your prole - be a man! You owe your children some dignity.
heineken and vindaloo shud be every week
Hate it and all the constant emails, I really wish companies allowed you to opt out of certain marketing campaigns.
My dad left 26 years ago when I was 2 and never came back. Seen him once since
34046019-5lS8O.jpg
Massive respect to this guy. He really deserves a father's day card.
examiner.co.uk/new…256
jaketheplumber6 h, 2 m ago

I don't hate Father's Day, I have no feelings about it one way or the …I don't hate Father's Day, I have no feelings about it one way or the other. My old man was a walk off (before I was two years old), my stepdad was a vicious nutcase whose actions led to me being institutionalised then fostered. I wasn't close to my Mum either because she wouldn't get out of the situation before things got out of hand.On the plus side, never having a father figure in my life didn't stop me from being a decent father to my own kids and I do feel appreciated today.

I hear you loud n clear

I'm lucky in the fact that the one I identify as my father is still. at the ripe old age of 85, alive. As a child I was taken away from him by a nasty evil witch (my mother) and when I needed him through my teenage years then best/most he'd do was come and collect me for a day or so then easily hand me back into the evil clutches of that witch without a fight. It was up to us to make effort if we wanted to see him.

I will never know really if I am of his loins but I'm the only kid of 4 who doesn't look anything like him and the evil witch liked to ride her broom on others floors (The Nottingham Sweeper) - who else gets free ice cream daily?

So if you've been fortunate to have real loving parents who cared for you and taught you life and gave everything then I understand fully the gratitude and respect shown is well deserved.

ps
And yes I took him a Fathers Day card and wrote "love" on it as I also took his birthday card (a few days apart) - I can't remember the last time he remembered my birthday - it must be getting on for 20 years since his common-law passed
Well I’ve cooked our Sunday roast and tidied the house. Happy Father’s Day
tryn2help8 h, 1 m ago

I realise these days there are many who have never known their Father, and …I realise these days there are many who have never known their Father, and I can't imagine what this day is like for them. I'm blessed to be able to say my Dad was always there for me - every day, not just one day - and I thank God for him to this day, even though he passed over 20 September 2002. I often think of him (- and it doesn't have to be Father's Day for me to think of him). I often think of all those whom I have loved and lost - especially my Dad and my Mum, also my younger brother just a few weeks ago (how this day must be for his kids ).I don't know about putting one day aside and calling it Father's Day, my Dad was worth far more than one day a year.For all those who have never known their Father - bless you; for all those who have loved and lost their Father - bless you; and to all those who still have their Father - bless them - always and forever.

20th September 2002 was the day of my dad's funeral. Sending you love
psychobitchfromhell33 m ago

20th September 2002 was the day of my dad's funeral. Sending you love

What are the odds?

My Dad was taken with an horrendous cancer.

Lots of love right back at you and your lad.
Edited by: "tryn2help" 18th Jun
Isn’t the date of Father’s Day significant in that it’s 9 months before Mother’s Day?
When you do regular parental visit days in the year, there is no need to do special days.

In this context, Father 's Day is already integrated as a regular father's day with no capital letters.
u6645419 h, 26 m ago

Isn’t the date of Father’s Day significant in that it’s 9 months before Mot …Isn’t the date of Father’s Day significant in that it’s 9 months before Mother’s Day?

Or after.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants