Groups

How do you get a external hard drive to work with a ps3/xbox360

Just got a 500 gb wd elements external hard drive ,wanted to put films on from the pc to make a bit of room but its not showing on either my ps3 or xbox 360 as being there ..any help would be cool
    cheers

12 Comments

you need to format it to FAT32 for the ps3 to recognise it

Better way of doing it is attaching it to a pc, and then sharing it with the ps3/360.

Original Poster

souljacker;8080493

you need to format it to FAT32 for the ps3 to recognise it

Its showing as NTFS at the mo so how do i change it ,sorry to sound dumb but i am
    InfernoZeus;8080792

Better way of doing it is attaching it to a pc, and then sharing it with … Better way of doing it is attaching it to a pc, and then sharing it with the ps3/360.

Forgot i could do that ..doh ..thanks

to format just right click on the drive in my computer and the select format, it will then give you the option of what file system to format it with but it will delete any data you already have on it

Original Poster

souljacker;8081515

to format just right click on the drive in my computer and the select … to format just right click on the drive in my computer and the select format, it will then give you the option of what file system to format it with but it will delete any data you already have on it

only shows as ntfs on the drop down menu when i choose format ,prob best i just stream from pc or i,ll cock it up big style :roll:

InfernoZeus;8080792

Better way of doing it is attaching it to a pc, and then sharing it with … Better way of doing it is attaching it to a pc, and then sharing it with the ps3/360.

How do you do this on the 360, was wondering the same as the OP myself, can i not just plug the external hard-drive into the xbox in any way and select a film from this? total newb to all this

just use this .... worked a treat for me really quick and can use it on my ps3 for all my media

freewarefiles.com/Fat…tml

Banned

vikkers14;8081667

only shows as ntfs on the drop down menu when i choose format ,prob best … only shows as ntfs on the drop down menu when i choose format ,prob best i just stream from pc or i,ll cock it up big style :roll:

but then it slows your network and PC down when streaming and you have to leave it on all the time.

much better to get it working properly as an external HDD.

csiman;8082929

but then it slows your network and PC down when streaming and you have to … but then it slows your network and PC down when streaming and you have to leave it on all the time.much better to get it working properly as an external HDD.

hows this done csi man

csiman;8083859

http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/:thumbsup:

repped, this works for 360 yes?

cheers too

Original Poster

thanks for the help guys ,as it happens the wd elements site had a fat32 converter tool which did it for me so now working in the PS3 AND XBOX 360 ..the fat 32 made all the difference ..cheers again fellas..rep added to all
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. What do you feel like whinging about today?1927377
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2462
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767370
      4. word association Game74044538

See more discussions