Groups
    EXPIRED

How do you get road tax for a car you've just bought?

My son just bought a secondhand car today which has MOT but no tax. He is waiting on the new insurance certificate but can he get the tax before it arrives? The local Post Office said he needed insurance and MOT. He obviously also hasn't got his V5 document yet either and if he applies online the previous person will no doubt still be the registered owner.

29 Comments

Did he get the small part of the v5 which the buyer fills in,,if so he can use that along with mot certificate and insurance certificate(can he get his insurance company to email it to him?)

you can get a cover note for the insurance

chezz2;7072452

you can get a cover note for the insurance

this.

He should get a cover note through almost instantly xx

V5 isn't needed but until he has a cover note or policy in his hands then he will have to wait to tax it.

Original Poster

He's waiting on the insurance certificate to arrive, which will probably take a few days. So a cover note is no different, as he'd have to wait for that too. I dont think they e-mail but I'll ask in the morning. Good idea, thanks.

kingy58;7072536

He's waiting on the insurance certificate to arrive, which will probably … He's waiting on the insurance certificate to arrive, which will probably take a few days. So a cover note is no different, as he'd have to wait for that too. I dont think they e-mail but I'll ask in the morning. Good idea, thanks.

They won't accept a email or fax. It has to be a original document i'm afraid.

kingy58;7072536

He's waiting on the insurance certificate to arrive, which will probably … He's waiting on the insurance certificate to arrive, which will probably take a few days. So a cover note is no different, as he'd have to wait for that too. I dont think they e-mail but I'll ask in the morning. Good idea, thanks.

Im sure they will email or fax it-any decent insurance company will-is the law different elsewhere than scotland? up here a car dealer isnt allowed to let you drive a car away unless you have the insurance faxed to them.

Banned

No insurance certificate no tax

PO won't take a fax they might take an email but most insist on original docs

barky;7072588

Im sure they will email or fax it-any decent insurance company will-is … Im sure they will email or fax it-any decent insurance company will-is the law different elsewhere than scotland? up here a car dealer isnt allowed to let you drive a car away unless you have the insurance faxed to them.

It's like that for new cars but used cars anyone can drive them away.

Also for the OP.........bit about not being able to use faxes etc ]HERE

Banned

cover note = insurance certificate

And you need the V5 or at least the new keeper segment

i printed off my cover note when i got my first car it looked well fake and my printer was nearly out of ink, PO accepted it thou, i really thought they would laugh at me

i know this is only partly relevant, but its at time like this when i am glad to be with an insurance broker, it may be a little more expensive sometimes than direct insuring , but it has the advantage that you can go and see a person and walk away with a real document. look on the bright side, if hes a young male driver on first car then learning patience may help keep him safer on the road. slow down:w00t:

Do it online... All you need then is valid MOT which is automatically checked.

you still wont have the disc and therefore still illegal......i've printed off certs before and the PO hasn't bothered - used dayinsure.com to get short term insurance just so the car was taxed.

niallmoran;7073085

you still wont have the disc and therefore still illegal......i've … you still wont have the disc and therefore still illegal......i've printed off certs before and the PO hasn't bothered - used dayinsure.com to get short term insurance just so the car was taxed.

Not true, if the tax is paid for, then you have five days "grace" now due to the difficulties with buying online. Infact, thinking about it, it wouldn't be any good as this is only the case if you are renewing.

baffledsalmon;7072879

Do it online... All you need then is valid MOT which is automatically … Do it online... All you need then is valid MOT which is automatically checked.

tax would go to previous owner as paperwork will not have been changed at swansea yet i wouldnt think.

baffledsalmon;7072879

Do it online... All you need then is valid MOT which is automatically … Do it online... All you need then is valid MOT which is automatically checked.

Not true, it will need to be insured also, but that won't have been updated yet. Since it is going through a registered keeper change, it will not let you do it anyway, or the tax will go to the wrong location etc.

baffledsalmon;7072879

You also need valid insurance, the system will look up the insurance database to check if the car has insurance or not - if not, you can't tax the car.

John

My car insurance don't send out the certificate . You just print it off . it got excepted when i got my tax

Zurich give a cover note and a credit card that is taken by post office etc.
    Swift cover is all print off yourself.

Johnmcl7;7073244

You also need valid insurance, the system will look up the insurance … You also need valid insurance, the system will look up the insurance database to check if the car has insurance or not - if not, you can't tax the car.John

But... the OP said he has insurance but can't get proof of it yet? Either way, if you can't get proof of insurance, just wait til V5 is registered to your son (only takes a few days, in my experience at least) then do it online. Easy!

baffledsalmon;7073881

But... the OP said he has insurance but can't get proof of it yet? Either … But... the OP said he has insurance but can't get proof of it yet? Either way, if you can't get proof of insurance, just wait til V5 is registered to your son (only takes a few days, in my experience at least) then do it online. Easy!

The insurance database doesn't update straight away, on average I find it takes three to four days (can be longer though) before the insurance shows up in the central system which means depending on how quick your insurer is the certificate could reach you first. Insurance status can be checked for your own car only at askmid.com

John

Original Poster

Thanks peeps for the input. Cannot do it online as don't have V5 and if I say I have got it I risk tax disk being sent to previous owner, as previously stated. Both insurance (re ASKMID) and MOT are in his name, so I guess if certificate doesn't come in tomorows post I'll try the email route. And by the way this isn't his first car, he's been driving for 2 years and it's his fourth!

kingy58;7074612

Thanks peeps for the input. Cannot do it online as don't have V5 and if I … Thanks peeps for the input. Cannot do it online as don't have V5 and if I say I have got it I risk tax disk being sent to previous owner, as previously stated. Both insurance (re ASKMID) and MOT are in his name, so I guess if certificate doesn't come in tomorows post I'll try the email route. And by the way this isn't his first car, he's been driving for 2 years and it's his fourth!

Just make sure that the vehicle is kept off road until it is sorted.

He needs insurance yes, but that is instantly uploaded on the national data base of insurers in minutes when he insures the car, he doesnt need an actual piece of paper, the mot is also electronic now. the small portion of the V5 (the second page the buyer gets from the seller with new owners address on) will do, everything else is electronic and stored on data bases. he will be fine and can get it instantly.

mufty

He needs insurance yes, but that is instantly uploaded on the national … He needs insurance yes, but that is instantly uploaded on the national data base of insurers in minutes when he insures the car, he doesnt need an actual piece of paper, the mot is also electronic now. the small portion of the V5 (the second page the buyer gets from the seller with new owners address on) will do, everything else is electronic and stored on data bases. he will be fine and can get it instantly.

I was wondering just last week how kingy58's son got on with this, thanks for bumping

mufty

He needs insurance yes, but that is instantly uploaded on the national … He needs insurance yes, but that is instantly uploaded on the national data base of insurers in minutes when he insures the car, he doesnt need an actual piece of paper, the mot is also electronic now. the small portion of the V5 (the second page the buyer gets from the seller with new owners address on) will do, everything else is electronic and stored on data bases. he will be fine and can get it instantly.

You've replied to a thread nearly four and a half years old..

John

Amazing. He signed up to the site to reply to a question over four years old.
    I'm guessing his insurance documents have arrived by now. X)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Boxes for moving house?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc36
      3. Kitchen tap replacement22
      4. advice needed on dumbell weight training please34

See more discussions