Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Posted 19th Jun 2009
Hi, Does anyone know the number or website that you can report uninsured vehicles to as there's been a car on my street now for months, it stays there most days then comes back, I keep seeing the driver but he gets picked up by someone else.

I've checked the reg on the ASKMID database and it's coming up "Uninsured"

There is other people on my street that are also starting to complain as he keeps parking infront of peoples houses and causing parking problems.

Thanks
Community Updates
Misc
New Comment

Categories

63 Comments

sorted by

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Anonymous User
    Cartoonhead;5537426

why are you trying to turn the thread into an argument? I'm only asking … why are you trying to turn the thread into an argument? I'm only asking on how to report an uninsured driver, the only reason I'm asking this is he doesnt live on the street and the car is a scap heap and looks like it wont have an MOT let alone insurance.If i ring the police and it's insured then he's nothing to worry about.You wouldn't be saying that if an uninsured driver smashed into your car and drove off

There seem to be a lot of people on here on the side of uninsured drivers,
    How do you know the owner doesn't have motor trade insurance?
    Author
    onlyme23;5537206

I use my car only for work mostly and I also car share with someone else … I use my car only for work mostly and I also car share with someone else from work so my car can be parked for days at a time then moved and come back and i park in the street where ever i can get a space which means outside various different houses does that mean i also should be checked out? :?

why are you trying to turn the thread into an argument? I'm only asking on how to report an uninsured driver, the only reason I'm asking this is he doesnt live on the street and the car is a scap heap and looks like it wont have an MOT let alone insurance.

If i ring the police and it's insured then he's nothing to worry about.

You wouldn't be saying that if an uninsured driver smashed into your car and drove off
    Salie

it is an offence for an uninsured vehicle to be parked or driven on the … it is an offence for an uninsured vehicle to be parked or driven on the public highway check the gov website

It is an offence to drag up a 7 and a half year old thread
    Anonymous User
    just ring your local police station,
    Unfortunately, if there are no parking restrictions in place, he can park outside whoever's house he chooses!

But not being insured - is not acceptable! You can ring your local police non emergency number.
    Anonymous User
    Or block it in. That could be interesting but could be dangerous depending on the guys reaction.
    Does it have tax? if not ring the council, they have to remove it.....and crush it :thumbsup:
    Anonymous User
    shanecr;5537045

Does it have tax? if not ring the council, they have to remove it.....and … Does it have tax? if not ring the council, they have to remove it.....and crush it :thumbsup:

Linky?
    thesaint;5537067

Linky?

i'll have to double check, but im certain responsibilty passed from police to the council. unless thats a scotland thing. or maybe it passed the other way?
    I am linked to MID database and my vehicles come up like that, are u sur he is not using a trade policy???? You can't b sure he is uninsured, its just not coming up.
    Anonymous User

There is other people on my street that are also starting to complain as … There is other people on my street that are also starting to complain as he keeps parking infront of peoples houses and causing parking problems.

What problems does he cause, and what does he say when you tell him about these problems?
    Ok, upon googling, i get no specific answer, other than its region specific. many councils now have the power to remove and crush untaxed cars. Quick check on your local council site will soon answer that.

google.co.uk/sea…ta=
    Author
    thanks guys for info.
    Anonymous User
    if they have a drive and hes parking in front of it then ok, but if the car is taxed and insured then he is entitled to park where he likes, as said above, maybe he is insured

my ex used to get grief of a neighbour for parking outside her house - she had no drive, a layby for parking outside her house = anyone can park there.
    Author
    just out of question, if the driver has "another car" and insured on that, is he insured to drive another vehicle registered to him?
    I use my car only for work mostly and I also car share with someone else from work so my car can be parked for days at a time then moved and come back and i park in the street where ever i can get a space which means outside various different houses does that mean i also should be checked out? :?
    Anonymous User
    Cartoonhead;5537167

just out of question, if the driver has "another car" and insured on … just out of question, if the driver has "another car" and insured on that, is he insured to drive another vehicle registered to him?

thesaint;5537103

What problems does he cause, and what does he say when you tell him about … What problems does he cause, and what does he say when you tell him about these problems?

Anonymous User
    Cartoonhead;5537167

just out of question, if the driver has "another car" and insured on … just out of question, if the driver has "another car" and insured on that, is he insured to drive another vehicle registered to him?

ths car itself needs to be insured to park on a public road,
    Author
    tonyg1962;5537317

ths car itself needs to be insured to park on a public road,

well in that case I'm going to ring and check because it's a public road, thanks
    ooohhhh you shouldnt have checked askmid! Its a criminal offence apparently to check if the car isnt your car. You should call your local council or police though
    hope you paid for the ASKMID as you too could be breaking the law if not.

"I confirm that the vehicle detailed above is registered, owned or insured by either my employer or myself and is regularly driven by me. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry. I agree to the terms of use as stated on this web site. "
    Anonymous User
    but they havent smashed into your car have they?
    Author
    leecher;5537407

hope you paid for the ASKMID as you too could be breaking the law if … hope you paid for the ASKMID as you too could be breaking the law if not."I confirm that the vehicle detailed above is registered, owned or insured by either my employer or myself and is regularly driven by me. I understand it is an offence to wrongfully obtain information of this nature without reasonable cause and if I fail to provide true reasons for acquiring information I may be committing an offence of unlawfully obtaining data contrary to section 55 of the Data Protection Act 1988. I declare that the information provided will not be used for any purposes unrelated to this enquiry. I agree to the terms of use as stated on this web site. "

cost me £3.50:)
    Author
    tonyg1962;5537442

Yeah exactly what i was thinking here
    Cartoonhead;5537446

cost me £3.50:)

good, just checking, dont want to get yourself in trouble over something so trivial

deffo report it, they are my biggest bugbear, thats why were paying such high premiums.
    Anonymous User
    tonyg1962;5537442

its not set in stone that its uninsured as a member has already pointed out they are insured but comes up not - it cann happen, my point was more toeards them being in the right to park where they like IF all is legal
    Author
    leecher;5537470

good, just checking, dont want to get yourself in trouble over something … good, just checking, dont want to get yourself in trouble over something so trivial :)deffo report it, they are my biggest bugbear, thats why were paying such high premiums.

I wonder how many people have used it for free tho :whistling:
    He could still be insured, why not just have a word with him?
    Cartoonhead;5537487

I wonder how many people have used it for free tho :whistling:

a lot

do people not get upset when a strange car is left parked outside their house? especially if its an eyesore?

maybe people are more tolerant than myself and OP.
    Author
    jah128;5537476

How do you know the owner doesn't have motor trade insurance?

I don't know that, but If i report it to the police then it's upto them to check this.

I'm only "Suspecting" he's got no insurance here, ASKMID is telling me the vehicle is uninsured, the vehicle is a 1990 ford fiesta and looks like a scrap heap, does trade insurance cover any car or do you have state each vehicle you drive?
    Anonymous User
    It's not an offence for a car to be parked uninsured, only an offence when it's being driven
    Author
    Tintern1981;5537562

It's not an offence for a car to be parked uninsured, only an offence … It's not an offence for a car to be parked uninsured, only an offence when it's being driven

oh it's being driven, but no set time of the day, one day it will stay parked others it's gone for a few hours and then back again.
    Author
    Looks like the law is set to change

independent.co.uk/new…tml

"In future, it will be an offence not only to drive without insurance, but also to keep an uninsured car. The new offence will attract a penalty of up to £1,000, with the possibility of court action to seize the vehicle."
    Anonymous User
    tonyg1962;5537442

There's lots of jobless council house living criminals on here.
    Anonymous User
    thesaint;5537103

What problems does he cause, and what does he say when you tell him about … What problems does he cause, and what does he say when you tell him about these problems?

Anonymous User
    lumoruk;5538039

:w00t:
    Anonymous User
    If the car has tax, then it probably has an MOT, as it is needed for tax, and it is not illegal to park a car on a public highway without insurance, so, unless he blocks a driveway, he can park anywhere it is legal to do so.
    As for the insurance, I have a scrappage business and a am insured to drive any road legal vehicle.
    I really dont think the police will sit on your street just to see if the person who eventually gets in the car and drives away has insurance, they will tell you to contact the council when the tax runs out if it is still on the public highway.
    As a footnote, it is increasingly difficult to drive an uninsured / untaxed/ no MOT car on the road, virtually every police car on the road now has number plate recognition system on board, and it goes off like crazy whenever a suspect car is nearby. I should know, I take SORN cars for MOT's (legally) every day, and get pulled at a regular frequency.
    lumoruk;5538039

:roll:
    A car DOES need to have insurance when it is parked on a public road, along with tax and MOT.

However, just because it appears on MID doesn't mean that it is not insured, and vice versa. It could just not be in there for whatever reason, or, as people have pointed out, he could be driving it on trade insurance or using DOC cover.

Just to add, you can park anywhere you like on a road unless there are restrictions, you do not have the right to park outside your house, anyone can park there.
Discussions
Top Merchants