How do you grow fruits and vegetables in your garden?

Posted 25th Feb
What do you use and where do you buy it from? Can they grow just in stored bought or home made compast?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
But to answer your question, Wilko is great for seed, potato tubers & onion sets - even Poundland isn't bad. How much space have you got, what is the ground condition & what do you want to grow?
I grow lettuce from seeds, got my last lot from Lidl.
Very easy little fuss.

Simply pop them in the soil and water them and they do ok.
Try it first and see what grows well in your current soil.

You can start troubleshooting next year with compost etc. once you've got an idea of what the troublesome crops are.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 25th Feb
I plant a few old potatoes every year just from old ones in the cupboard that havw started to shoot (or leave on a windowsill to encourage this). Potatoes grow extremely easily without any help needed.
Type question into google and watch a YouTube video...
Bargainhead26/02/2020 05:29

Type question into google and watch a YouTube video...

Been giving that a try for quite sometime with no luck; hence, posted the question here to start a dialog. I wish it was as simple as googling though - would save a hell load of time
IamMT25/02/2020 21:19

But to answer your question, Wilko is great for seed, potato tubers & …But to answer your question, Wilko is great for seed, potato tubers & onion sets - even Poundland isn't bad. How much space have you got, what is the ground condition & what do you want to grow?

Would you grow it in a store bought composs? I have no idea where to get soil from. Some stuff I'd just dump in the ground but keep a order I would probably plant some in pots.

Any thoughts on compass vs soil?
myusernamehasgone23425/02/2020 21:32

I grow lettuce from seeds, got my last lot from Lidl.Very easy little …I grow lettuce from seeds, got my last lot from Lidl.Very easy little fuss.Simply pop them in the soil and water them and they do ok.

Where do you buy your soil from, I've checked a few places and only see compass?
EndlessWaves25/02/2020 21:38

Try it first and see what grows well in your current soil. You can start …Try it first and see what grows well in your current soil. You can start troubleshooting next year with compost etc. once you've got an idea of what the troublesome crops are.

Currently looking at basic and daily use veg, herbs and maybe some fruits.
FayeCop25/02/2020 23:34

I plant a few old potatoes every year just from old ones in the cupboard …I plant a few old potatoes every year just from old ones in the cupboard that havw started to shoot (or leave on a windowsill to encourage this). Potatoes grow extremely easily without any help needed.

Into soil in the ground or compass? How long do they take to grow?
Adam_Khan1Tc26/02/2020 06:30

Where do you buy your soil from, I've checked a few places and only see …Where do you buy your soil from, I've checked a few places and only see compass?

I just use the soil that was already in my garden, don’t add anything to it.

I would imagine a garden centre or perhaps B&Q would be the best place to look.
myusernamehasgone23426/02/2020 06:34

I just use the soil that was already in my garden, don’t add anything to i …I just use the soil that was already in my garden, don’t add anything to it.I would imagine a garden centre or perhaps B&Q would be the best place to look.

Thanks, I'll give B&Q, a visit today.
What is your garden like? Has it been used previously for growing anything or is it full of weeds/overgrown?
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 26th Feb
JimboParrot26/02/2020 06:58

What is your garden like? Has it been used previously for growing …What is your garden like? Has it been used previously for growing anything or is it full of weeds/overgrown?

We bought a new house, it needs some work in the garden in terms of lawning the mawn and cutting down bushes but there is a apple and pear tree and has the fruits as well.
So there's no beds suitable or vegetable growing?

You could clear an area, dig the soil over add some manure, compost to improve the soil. April/May time is when to plant things out having grown from seed, say beans, courgettes, tomato etc.
JimboParrot26/02/2020 07:07

So there's no beds suitable or vegetable growing?You could clear an area, …So there's no beds suitable or vegetable growing?You could clear an area, dig the soil over add some manure, compost to improve the soil. April/May time is when to plant things out having grown from seed, say beans, courgettes, tomato etc.

Not at the moment, there isn't a designated area. Will look at prepping the soil like to say as April is knocking on the door . Say it I wanted to grow stuff in a pot like a ken tree, mint leaves, herbs, etc., is doing in a composs a good idea?
Compost will be fine for growing herbs. Mint you definitely want to keep confined as it spreads like mad! Get some large pots, put drainage holes in, add some crocks (stones, broken pot bits) and fill.

Obviously need to wait until the risk of frosts have passed. So about April time you could sow some seeds in seed trays. If you do them on an indoor window sill you must turn the trays as they will lean towards the light and get leggy.

There's too much to say in a few lines on here!
JimboParrot26/02/2020 07:23

Compost will be fine for growing herbs. Mint you definitely want to keep …Compost will be fine for growing herbs. Mint you definitely want to keep confined as it spreads like mad! Get some large pots, put drainage holes in, add some crocks (stones, broken pot bits) and fill.Obviously need to wait until the risk of frosts have passed. So about April time you could sow some seeds in seed trays. If you do them on an indoor window sill you must turn the trays as they will lean towards the light and get leggy.There's too much to say in a few lines on here!

I can imagine, will do some research and reading into this too as it sounds quite interesting. Any tips or starter pointers?
Edited by: "Adam_Khan1Tc" 26th Feb
Herbs you can grow indoors.

We find tomatoes and courgettes and runner beans are the best things to grow. Get so much produce for such a small outlay. Also strawberries. But the plants can be expensive. However you can get so many more plants from the original ones. I got overrun with strawberry plants last year.

I enjoy growing chillies the most though. Got a load of them on my windowsill now. In fact still got a couple of plants producing chillies that i bought indoors from last year.

Depending on what you grow seeds like seed compost to give them a good start. Also be careful with manure, some fruit and veg do not like manure.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 26th Feb
Adam_Khan1Tc26/02/2020 06:30

Where do you buy your soil from, I've checked a few places and only see …Where do you buy your soil from, I've checked a few places and only see compass?

Google buying topsoil, I just did and came up with a page full, even delivered.. as for growing veg on the back of the seed packets tell you what you need to know

as for herbs you can buy starter kits with pot, soil, and seeds what you can even grow inside..

the library will have a good section of books on gardening..

5 second google search commonsensehome.com/sta…en/

google.co.uk/amp…rue

rhs.org.uk/adv…ide

thespruce.com/how…778

seriously if you find the research hard you have no chance of actually gardening...
Bargainhead26/02/2020 09:52

Google buying topsoil, I just did and came up with a page full, even …Google buying topsoil, I just did and came up with a page full, even delivered.. as for growing veg on the back of the seed packets tell you what you need to know as for herbs you can buy starter kits with pot, soil, and seeds what you can even grow inside..the library will have a good section of books on gardening..5 second google search https://commonsensehome.com/start-a-garden/https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bhg.com/gardening/yard/garden-care/ten-steps-to-beginning-a-garden/%3famp=truehttps://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/beginners-guidehttps://www.thespruce.com/how-to-start-a-garden-from-scratch-2132778seriously if you find the research hard you have no chance of actually gardening...

Don't find it hard per say, I would call this as research as well
Adam_Khan1Tc26/02/2020 10:45

Don't find it hard per say, I would call this as research as well

Fair point, but some of those links were helpful and good tips..
Bargainhead26/02/2020 12:00

Fair point, but some of those links were helpful and good tips..

Will definitely give it a browse.
Are there any allotments nearby? Not just for putting yourself on the list but I'd suggest you ask them what grows well in the soil.

There may be things like carrots or potatoes that are prone to rot or blight.

Also go to charity shops and get hold of some gardening books that you can read in a greehouse. That Percy Thrower guy is good.
Edited by: "supermann" 26th Feb
supermann26/02/2020 12:38

Are there any allotments nearby? Not just for putting yourself on the list …Are there any allotments nearby? Not just for putting yourself on the list but I'd suggest you ask them what grows well in the soil.There may be things like carrots or potatoes that are prone to rot or blight.Also go to charity shops and get hold of some gardening books that you can read in a greehouse. That Percy Thrower guy is good.

Will have a look
I only have yard space, so grow in containers,
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants