How do you keep a 25kg of potatoes from going off?

Found 2nd Jun 2016
How do I keep them so they won't go off any tips? And how do I k ow when they have gone?
Community Updates
37 Comments
Store in the fridge or brown bag.
eat them
You know theyre gone, when they are no longer there!
keep them dry and in the dark. You'll know they've gone when they start sprouting
put them back in the ground
How long you hoping to keep them for? Supermarkets aint going to ever run out of them so theres no need to panic
Lock them up so they don't go off
There's a distinct smell when potatoes turn bad,sprouting isn't really a problem
Small quantities can go in the fridge,otherwise a cool dark area and keep covered
I don't think I'd worry about them going off . I heard a woman in Tesco the other day worrying that the potatoes had a date on them of 18th and it was already 16th . As a rule of thumb I use them until they are shrivelled and wrinkled and bounce when you drop them
depends where they're off to.......
Don't put potatoes in the fridge, cool dark place is best but they will eventually turn.
Banned

Don't put potatoes in the fridge, cool dark place is best but they will … Don't put potatoes in the fridge, cool dark place is best but they will eventually turn.

^^^^^^ this & not in plastic but a paper sack or hessian.

& I doubt you can get 25kgs of potatoes in a fridge unless that is all you eat.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 2nd Jun 2016
dark place and in a paper cardboard type material.

Don't put potatoes in the fridge, cool dark place is best but they will … Don't put potatoes in the fridge, cool dark place is best but they will eventually turn.

Must admit I wasn't sure about the fridge thing but having bought a 1kg bag from Tesco with instructions on the bag to keep refridgerated,I'm quite impressed with the storage quality so far
Banned

Must admit I wasn't sure about the fridge thing but having bought a 1kg … Must admit I wasn't sure about the fridge thing but having bought a 1kg bag from Tesco with instructions on the bag to keep refridgerated,I'm quite impressed with the storage quality so far

Washed Jersey & Salad potatoes keep well in the fridge. I have to admit.
Go to a local chippie and ask if they've got potato sacks they're getting rid of (definitely no need to buy one they're throwing these out daily).

Store in a cool, dry place, keep the bag as sealed as possible. A garage is ideal.

keep them dry and in the dark. You'll know they've gone when they start … keep them dry and in the dark. You'll know they've gone when they start sprouting

This, also don't store them with or near onions
were you inspired of The Maritian?
A few years ago My mum lived up in Norfolk and they sold big sacks of potatoes, I kept them in my shed and they lasted fine

Store in the fridge or brown bag.

don't do this, the cold with turn the starch to sugar. the same reason why if potato's get frist bitten in the ground they taste sweeter

I don't think I'd worry about them going off . I heard a woman in Tesco … I don't think I'd worry about them going off . I heard a woman in Tesco the other day worrying that the potatoes had a date on them of 18th and it was already 16th . As a rule of thumb I use them until they are shrivelled and wrinkled and bounce when you drop them

You're still talking about potatoes, right?

You're still talking about potatoes, right?

Maybe ...
Why did you get so many? Did the government tell you something and not the rest of us...?
Original Poster
SteveDave4

Why did you get so many? Did the government tell you something and not … Why did you get so many? Did the government tell you something and not the rest of us...?

​Cheaper than buying a £2 bag with 1kg in.

​Cheaper than buying a £2 bag with 1kg in.

Wow, a 25KG bag for under £2....no wonder he bought it!
Keep them away from onions as they speed up the sprouting process.
adamwilko007

How do I keep them so they won't go off any tips? And how do I k ow … How do I keep them so they won't go off any tips? And how do I k ow when they have gone?

Keep them in a cool dark place away from sunlight maybe in a small container too.
Is it really 25kg and not 2.5kg of potatoes....?
store them in a cool dry place in a dry sack of peat, no light can get to them.
Banned

You can buy them in 25kg sacks at farmshops etc
Original Poster
sazzopardi1971

​Yea you get them from farm shops for £5
25kg??? You're going to have to give some away to friends etc, unless you're planning on making your own vodka!!
Slice them up into Crisps. Put in boiling water for a couple of minutes. Remove all the water and dry them in the sun for a few hours. May require a couple of days depending on how much sun you get. Once completely dry store them in an air tight container. Will keep upto a year.
Fry them as required.
Tastes great.
Sweet Jeebus! Don't listen to any of this twaddle.....the best way is the most difficult, bury them with dry sand then they last forever.....(6 months)

Not always practical though so, check each spud carefully to make sure none are bruised or rotting, all clean then put them in the coolest darkest place you have with plenty of air flow, should last 6-8 weeks ok.
Dont do what i did about 15 years ago! Had same size bag and they were quite muddy so for some reason my mum wanted to wash them before storing. I suggested running them through the dishwasher. they were lovely and clean but started stinking a couple of days later. They had part cooked in the heat. To this day i don't understand what the importance of cleaning them was or why we didn't realise they would cook in the heat!
Smother them on tea bags. Always does the trick
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants