How do you secure your NETGEAR wireless router?

11 replies
Found 5th May 2009
Hello

For some reason my connection is not secured and I think that my neighbour is using my internet connection as it can be real slow at times......I see a previous posting stating to login on to the router which I have done but now sure where to go from there!!! HELP MUCH APPRECIATED!

11 Comments

Welcome to HUKD ARNOLD115,

Can't help, but sure someone else will be along to aid you soon.

Original Poster

Thanks I hope so too!!!!!

Call Netgear Support on 01344 458200, they will take you step by step through the setup process.

1. go to router setup page i.e routerlogin.com (the page will ask usernamen + password by default this will be either admin - admin or admin - password)
2. go to setup - wireless settings
3. Under security options choose WPA + WEP
4. enter/ make a password, strongrest will 8 characters, letter and number combination, at least one of them caps
5. logout

dont forget the WPA + WEP password as the router will ask this when you connect next time

Original Poster

Ohhh great think I shall opt for that....many thanks everyone! Wish me luck not very good on the laptop!

Just an FYI - if you have to currently enter a password to connect to your router via wi-fi, you're probably already running WEP. Whilst this isn't the best form of security, it's enough to deter most people. It's breakable, but you need a few Linux apps to do it and a little bit of know-how. Changing this to WPA (or WPA2) will make this more secure.

My computer is connect to my router via cable - completely secure.
The router has a mac address access list setup so that pcs/laptops on that list can never connect
And there's WEP encryption as an extra precaution

MrBrightside1987;5126107

My computer is connect to my router via cable - completely secure.The … My computer is connect to my router via cable - completely secure.The router has a mac address access list setup so that pcs/laptops on that list can never connectAnd there's WEP encryption as an extra precaution

Unless you're mistaken, change that WEP encryption to WPA2.

The same tools to obtain WEP keys can also sniff incoming packets to determine valid mac addresses. It takes about 15 minutes all in with WEP. WPA2 is MUCH harder to break.

Xb0xGuru;5126163

Unless you're mistaken, change that WEP encryption to WPA2.The same tools … Unless you're mistaken, change that WEP encryption to WPA2.The same tools to obtain WEP keys can also sniff incoming packets to determine valid mac addresses. It takes about 15 minutes all in with WEP. WPA2 is MUCH harder to break.

My mistake! I was supposed to say exactly what you just did, I use WPA2 and wouldn't recommend WEP. I was typing faster than I was thinking :w00t:
One of my lecturers showed me how easy it was to hack into a wireless network (by doing it), and then advised me on the best way to secure it.

while you are there, change the default password for accessing the router..
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition57588
    2. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!44
    3. Free money and competition entry @ Circle813
    4. Win a Fisher-Price Think & Learn Teach 'n tag Movi @ Netmums22

See more discussions