How do you steam cabbage? - serious Q!

Posted 29th Nov
Okay...please laugh at me then tell me where i am going wrong lol

I tried to steamed cabbage this evening, placed sliced cabbage in a steamer, turned on steamer, 10mins later checked on cabbage, it was still raw, left in total for 25mins and it was still wasn’t soft. Gave up after that.

Where am i going wrong? How long does it take to cook? (Google says 10mins!) Do i have to add salt or something else to help make the cabbage soft?

This is a serious question!! Help a man out!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
What kind of steamer are you using? If you are using a traditional steamer (ie a pan of water on the stove with a steamer pan on top of it with a lid) then 10 minutes is plenty. Just make sure that your water is boiling first and then turn down the heat a touch, making sure that no water is bubbling up in to your steam pan, only the hot steam.

What you want is something like this:

argos.co.uk/pro…573
Edited by: "Haircut_100" 29th Nov
Im using an average electric steamer, works fine but the cabbage still wasnt that soft. Ive never made it in a steamer before. i suppose i am asking am i doing anything wrong? or cabbage just doesnt cook well in a steamer lol
SteMoss29/11/2019 22:44

Im using an average electric steamer, works fine but the cabbage still …Im using an average electric steamer, works fine but the cabbage still wasnt that soft. Ive never made it in a steamer before. i suppose i am asking am i doing anything wrong? or cabbage just doesnt cook well in a steamer lol

No, cabbage will cook just fine in a steamer. How do you find your other fresh vegetables come out when cooked from raw in it (ie baby corn, sliced carrot, broccoli) etc?
Haircut_10029/11/2019 22:51

No, cabbage will cook just fine in a steamer. How do you find your other …No, cabbage will cook just fine in a steamer. How do you find your other fresh vegetables come out when cooked from raw in it (ie baby corn, sliced carrot, broccoli) etc?

I did carrots once but didn’t cook very well either thinking back, i think it possible could be the steamer then. Its 1000watts. I only ever cook mash in it usually.
Have you checked the fuse?
Loading.......29/11/2019 23:01

Have you checked the fuse?

The steamer actually works fine 😋. I think its me whos broken.
How long are you giving the steamer to actually heat up and produce steam before putting your vegetables in? You aren't trying to put them in to a cold steamer are you?
Just cook it in a pot with a lid on it mate
Did you cut the cabbage up or just place the whole thing in the steamer?
Veggies should have a nice crunch edge when eating anyway. Unless you old with false teeth.
Did you put water in
SteMoss29/11/2019 22:54

I did carrots once but didn’t cook very well either thinking back, i think …I did carrots once but didn’t cook very well either thinking back, i think it possible could be the steamer then. Its 1000watts. I only ever cook mash in it usually.

Definitely a steamer problem. Pan on hob one takes 10 minutes max for cabbage
Add water. YW
Cabbage takes longer to cook than you’d think, that’s all. I cook mine in a microwave steamer, and it takes 20 mins, twice as long as potatoes, and same time as carrots
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants