Groups

How do you think poverty affects health?

As above..i need ideas on how you think this is affects health..thanks..rep to helpers

48 Comments

Seems the less money people have the more they smoke and drink so it obviously has an effect,

people dont have enough money to provide proper meals nutritionous ones ie fruit veg

It depends, .lazy poor people buy £1 "meals" from Iceland, Others might grow their own veg etc and bother to cook a fresh meal from scratch. Lazy person will stay at home watching rubbish on tv, others get off their tushes and walk to look for work.

Stress from being poor can affect health either way but the one getting the healthier diet and fresh air and excercise might do a little better.

in fear of stereotyping, poor people it could be argued lack the ingenuity, nouse or impetus to eat, or provide, nutritious meals, instead opting for low-cost, low-quality convenience foods.

since when has vegetable broth been an expensive meal to make?

Try getting a hold of the black report - will tell you all you want to know
    amazon.co.uk/Ine…653

Banned

You can't afford decent clothes so you get picked on by bullies.

Which causes mental distress.

Banned

Not at all... Now that me and my OH earn good money we eat worse...more take outs, more eating out.... Less cheap home cooked, stews and lasanges etc..... I miss those days.... So now I'm fatter, lazier, grumpier, snore more, high colesterol.... When we had no money we'd make an amazinh meal from a few bits of veg and cheap beef.... hmm wamrs me inside at the thought of it

Plus my OH works in a Hospital so brings home all the illnesses under the sun, I litterally have a cold 24/7

Banned

Can't afford a decent education therefore trapped in a dull low paid job.

Leading to poverty which causes stress and depression which can lead to an early death

Banned

Not able to pay for private healthcare therefore being subjected to the NHS.

Which employ's a lot of over worked, under paid people who do not have the time or motivation to treat you.

DLM;6952663

You can't afford decent clothes so you get picked on by bullies.Which … You can't afford decent clothes so you get picked on by bullies.Which causes mental distress.

agreed

Banned

Only able to afford a house in a chav area, therefore suffering from mental distress from the neighbour's and chav people that live in the area.

hmm-creme-eggs;6952664

Not at all... Now that me and my OH earn good money we eat worse...more … Not at all... Now that me and my OH earn good money we eat worse...more take outs, more eating out.... Less cheap home cooked, stews and lasanges etc..... I miss those days.... So now I'm fatter, lazier, grumpier, snore more, high colesterol.... When we had no money we'd make an amazinh meal from a few bits of veg and cheap beef.... hmm wamrs me inside at the thought of itPlus my OH works in a Hospital so brings home all the illnesses under the sun, I litterally have a cold 24/7

Agree totally with this.

Original Poster

DLM;6952697

Not able to pay for private healthcare therefore being subjected to the … Not able to pay for private healthcare therefore being subjected to the NHS.Which employ's a lot of over worked, under paid people who do not have the time or motivation to treat you.

maybe not the time but we certainly have the motivation

Banned

Not able to afford holiday's or treat's to escape from life's stress.

Therefore more likely to die of an heart attack or stroke.

this must be some sort of homework?

think about the cycle of deprivation.

poverty affects health negatively because lack of money means lack of medicines, health care, organic foods are more expensive its more expensive to buy fresh fruit/veg than canned. holidays in the sun are less frequent. more stress emotionally, lowered immune system etc.

DLM;6952684

Can't afford a decent education therefore trapped in a dull low paid … Can't afford a decent education therefore trapped in a dull low paid job.Leading to poverty which causes stress and depression which can lead to an early death

DLM;6952697

Not able to pay for private healthcare therefore being subjected to the … Not able to pay for private healthcare therefore being subjected to the NHS.Which employ's a lot of over worked, under paid people who do not have the time or motivation to treat you.

DLM;6952705

Only able to afford a house in a chav area, therefore suffering from … Only able to afford a house in a chav area, therefore suffering from mental distress from the neighbour's and chav people that live in the area.

DLM;6952717

Not able to afford holiday's or treat's to escape from life's … Not able to afford holiday's or treat's to escape from life's stress.Therefore more likely to die of an heart attack or stroke.

bloody hell DLM, cheer up love :-D xx

It depends on the frame of mind of the individual. When i first got married i didn't have much, luckily i was tought to cook proper meals from an early age, kids were always immaculate, a comb and a bar of soap is pennies and Ethel Austins was a God send lol.

Banned

Whilst working in a rubbish low paid job you are treated like a worthless piece of ****.

Therefore you are more likely to leave and end up at the job centre.

Oh joy!

im on a tight budget and prob classed as being in poverty

i make loads of dinners from scratch, we only really eat chicken when it comes to meat

we have a lot of stuff like

chicken salad, homemade kebabs, chicken wraps, roast chicken, chicken and veg pasta, etc etc

i absolutey hate microwave meals and ready meals wouldnt touch them with a bargepole they are tasteless and boring

i agree things like being bullied because you cant have the same as everyone else, causes mental distress
    -i know this from personal experience

Banned

Not able to afford the internet therefore not having the help of the lovely, helpful HUKD people whilst you are suffering from severe depression.

Banned

Whilst working your back off for ziltch pay.

You usually injure yourself because the company you work for want more more more!

Banned

You have to shop at the local Asda and be subjected to the local chav's because you don't own a car.

Also have to get the bus with inbreds because you can't afford a car.

Banned

Have to beg, steal and borrow for a decent funeral for a family member.

Therefore causing embarassment and depression.

Banned

Having to live with people you don't like because you can't afford to escape which usually leads to depression.

are you ok DLM?????

Banned

bitseylango;6952731

bloody hell DLM, cheer up love :-D xx

I'll try, life is a rollercoaster.

Hope you are well x x

DLM;6952855

I'll try, life is a rollercoaster.Hope you are well x x

Im well, but you dont sound it.........take it one day at a time and keep your chin up :thumbsup:

Banned

ilovepink;6952843

are you ok DLM?????

Yes, I am fine.

Just ranting at how supressed people can feel due to poverty x x

DLM;6952789

You have to shop at the local Asda and be subjected to the local chav's … You have to shop at the local Asda and be subjected to the local chav's because you don't own a car.Also have to get the bus with inbreds because you can't afford a car.

Blimey hun ..you are on a downer... not everyone that shops in Asda is a chav and not everyone that gets the bus is a weirdo or inbred, it's hard not being where you want to be i know, but when you have such a negative outlook you tend to drag people down with you and give out negative vibes.

Banned

queenlush;6952927

Blimey hun ..you are on a downer... not everyone that shops in Asda is a … Blimey hun ..you are on a downer... not everyone that shops in Asda is a chav and not everyone that gets the bus is a weirdo or inbred, it's hard not being where you want to be i know, but when you have such a negative outlook you tend to drag people down with you and give out negative vibes.

I wouldn't say I am on a downer, I just know that I am so much better than some of the low lifes that frequent my local Asda.

I am not saying that they are all chav's down at the local Asda but I would say probably 90% of the people that go there are.

The same with buses not everybody on the buses are in-bred but the majority seem to be.

I have alway's had the luxury of a car and when I am on a bus, I am shocked at the behaviour of some people.

Sorry to rant :oops:

Banned

Due to poverty stealing, taking drug's and drinking.

Usually ending up with a criminal record therefore not being able to get a decent job because of the black mark against your name.

starsparkle2311;6952959

I'm a single mum, and you know what? it's my daughter's birthday on … I'm a single mum, and you know what? it's my daughter's birthday on Monday, does she want a shop bought cake? No way, she wants a cake made by Mummy, same goes for meals, she loves lasagne, buy it from the shop, yep they may look good, but it doesn't taste as good as mine:thumbsup:In fact, everything I cook, tastes way better than shop bought, sometimes it is cheaper to buy shop stuff, but my kids love my cooking, they enjoy helping me make it. I may seem old fashioned doing this, but they love it. I love doing it too, it's a bit of a pain and a lot of mess when the kids join in, but it's fun,nonetheless.I live in a small town, my kids go to school with very posh, middle classed kids, who's parents do their weekly shop at M&S,lol,do my kids feel deprived? Nah, no way, they are well balanced kids, yeh it would be great for them if they ate the finest, most expensive food going, but what are they missing? Not a lot, in fact they're gaining more, they learn where their food comes from, what is good, what is bad and most importantly, how to cook for themselves:)

They aren't missing anything they are gaining from time with you and like you say learning to cook. All my three love cooking now and there is nothing better than the smell of a warm cake from the oven. also when you do get the chance to have "fine food" you actually appreciate it. Nothing seems to be a treat anymore as everything is so readily available.

Banned

starsparkle2311;6953027

I don't drive, never had the luxury of a car, but I do agree with your … I don't drive, never had the luxury of a car, but I do agree with your bus thang, one reason why I am finally taking driving lessons, buses are crap!!!

SS you are a lovely lady.

You deserve all the best from life.

I don't mean to rant but the last 3 year's I have been in and out of work and had to experience how the other half live and I don't like it.

I have been ill with stress and depression and have found it hard to get back on my feet.

Take care of yourself x x

Original Poster

great ideas guys!!!!rep added

depends how you define poverty
    real poverty to me is third world countries with people who don' have access to water, food or medicine. I think poverty is therefore can be fatal

starsparkle2311;6953160

Tinks I know what you're getting at and it pees me off big style. It's … Tinks I know what you're getting at and it pees me off big style. It's sad people generalise.According to certain people, my kids are living in poverty, funny how they are top of their class, well above the national average of learning (according to the latest parent's evening), well fed, well housed, well looked after!!!I may be in a bit of a rut financially myself, ie bottom of the pile, benefit scum, but I make damn well sure my kids rise above that!! And they do, and I'm doing my best to get myself out of the hole I'm in too:thumbsup:

you're doing fine babes xx

I'm often so tired after work that I do cook... but not with the heart that I'd do it if I wasn't so exhausted all the time xx

Banned

starsparkle2311;6953160

Tinks I know what you're getting at and it pees me off big style. It's … Tinks I know what you're getting at and it pees me off big style. It's sad people generalise.According to certain people, my kids are living in poverty, funny how they are top of their class, well above the national average of learning (according to the latest parent's evening), well fed, well housed, well looked after!!!I may be in a bit of a rut financially myself, ie bottom of the pile, benefit scum, but I make damn well sure my kids rise above that!! And they do, and I'm doing my best to get myself out of the hole I'm in too:thumbsup:

I wouldn't say that you are benefit scum, you have just been dealt a few bad card's which mean's that you are now on benefit's.

I think you are doing amazing well considering you are on your own with not much money x x

Original Poster

tinkerbell28;6953313

Yes I know that ss, BUT that's why I said it was a generalisation as at a … Yes I know that ss, BUT that's why I said it was a generalisation as at a guess op is studying nursing or something like that, and that's what the study will be about, she will have to give ideas, research the facts and write accordingly and it's a generalistion she will have to look at although people know it's NOT always the case.It's a study on how poverty affects health all of which are risk factors, my god I have been on the poverty line several times and am very fortunate no in life I never generalise but for a study I was giving leads, as I have done one myself:thumbsup:

healthcare access course to go onto midwifery..good guess though and yeah it s only a short report so it will only need to be generalised.

Banned

starsparkle2311;6953419

DLM, since I first started posted posting on here, I've seen your posts, … DLM, since I first started posted posting on here, I've seen your posts, I think you are too hard on yourself, life is crap sometimes, some people have a harder life than others, I think you and I know that, don't let it get you down, if I cried every time something bad happened, I'd never stop, you have to get over it, some peeps on here appear to have an enchanted, blessed life, good for them. You are a good person, you know that, stress/depression is a hard thing to bear, do not knock yourself down because of that, fight it!!! I do everyday!!! I post a lot of nonsense on here, that's my way of coping, I laugh at it all, I cry sometimes, but it's much more enjoyable to laugh, take a back seat and look at your life, write a book, people would never believe it!!!! They have never experienced anything as much as you have!!! Be strong, don't know if you've ever watched 'SPACED' but, if you have 'Girl Power!!!'

Thank you x x

Right, here goes. This is in NO WAY AT ALL a negative question - I am genuinely curious.

DLM - how do you decide where and when to use an apostrophe?!!!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Entitled to overtime to be included in your holiday pay1020
      2. Labour MP Naz Shah retweeted calling for abused white girls to shut their m…1536
      3. word association Game72944192
      4. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …277963

See more discussions