How do you transfer files to an Android device over wifi?

Found 23rd Oct 2017
Morning all,

Just got a new Sony TV which runs on Android.
I'm trying to use it instead of my WD Live TV box.

I have a lot of video files to go through and the system I used with the WD was to just drop them into the attached HD's over wifi to save continually unplugging the usb ports, as I have to load many files during the day.

I'm trying to do this on the TV and it's having none of it.
After Googling this I've found an app called 'Wifi file Transfer'. Installed it on the TV fine, it then give an ip address for the TV which opens a webpage for moving file over. And that's where it fails. No matter what HD drive or flash drive I have attached the app just says 'xx drive is not writable'! Obviously they are writable, because I write to them all the time.

Can anyone, please, tell either how to get the app working or how to do this with another method??

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
7 Comments
Pretty sure you need permissions and login details in most OSs to access networked filesystems. Doesn't play memories online work for you ?
Original Poster
Thanks.

The material has to be kept on local storage, it's can't be uploaded to the cloud. It's not my personal stuff, it's work related.
transferring from a pc?

Spent many frustrating hours trying to do this as seamlessly as moving files to my wdtv but it never worked (Airdroid app etc) for large files.

In the end, I bought a NAS as far less hassle in the long run

then use Mixplorer to browse the NAS on my android devices (without doubt the best android file explorer by a mile sites.google.com/sit…er/ )
Edited by: "chocci" 23rd Oct 2017
Original Poster
chocci2 h, 9 m ago

transferring from a pc?Spent many frustrating hours trying to do this as …transferring from a pc?Spent many frustrating hours trying to do this as seamlessly as moving files to my wdtv but it never worked (Airdroid app etc) for large files.In the end, I bought a NAS as far less hassle in the long runthen use Mixplorer to browse the NAS on my android devices (without doubt the best android file explorer by a mile https://sites.google.com/site/mixplorer/ )

Yes, from Pc.

I can't understand why Android is so badly structured you can't send files wireless to it!

Ok, so is there some kind of NAS 'box' I can plug both my 2x 2 tb wd passport drives into that will work? I'm going going to buy an encloser and more drives to go in it just because Google can't support something that everything else can do! I'll just go back the WDTV if that's the case!
Not sure I understand what you're trying to do - so apologies if I have got hold the wrong end of the stick.

Do you need to transfer the files? Could you not just install Kodi onto the TV (and use it as it's original intention - a media streamer) to stream the files direct from your PC's hard drive or the WD passport drives?
ES File Explorer File Manager

play.google.com/sto…_GB

Click on Network then LAN - scan to identify network shared drives (hopefully your drives are shared over local area network) enter User ID and Password

You should then be able to either stream directly (ES File Explorer File Manager comes with a built in media player I think) from the drives or copy and paste to new location
steve122111 h, 36 m ago

Yes, from Pc.I can't understand why Android is so badly structured you …Yes, from Pc.I can't understand why Android is so badly structured you can't send files wireless to it!Ok, so is there some kind of NAS 'box' I can plug both my 2x 2 tb wd passport drives into that will work? I'm going going to buy an encloser and more drives to go in it just because Google can't support something that everything else can do! I'll just go back the WDTV if that's the case!

Just plug them both into your PC and share them over your network and use esf as philphil61 suggested to browse via android {although mixplorer is far better than esf)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions