Groups

How does it feel to be diabetic at Easter time?

I haven't had any easter eggs at all!

8 Comments

At least you can get diabetic chocolate and diabetic chocolate eggs now

When I was younger I was allergic to dairy, and you couldnt get dark chocolate eggs for the first few years - was rubbish! Then thorntons started doing one so everyone got me that one.

my little boy was allergic to all dairy and soya he cant have chocolate either

Banned

i haven't had any choclate either, and i'm not diabetic, there's more to life than chocolate!

kelly_o_fanatic;4912568

At least you can get diabetic chocolate and diabetic chocolate eggs now … At least you can get diabetic chocolate and diabetic chocolate eggs now :)When I was younger I was allergic to dairy, and you couldnt get dark chocolate eggs for the first few years - was rubbish! Then thorntons started doing one so everyone got me that one.

Problem is if you eat to much you spend the day on the toilet as it acts as a laxative, thorntons sell some but it is advised not to eat more than 3 or 4 :x

"Maltitol tastes almost as sweet as sugar but has considerably fewer calories (less than 2.5 calories per gram) and does not cause tooth decay. It is also thought to be healthier for the stomach and intestines. However EU guidelines recommend limiting consumption of polyol-based chocolates to 100g per day due to the laxative effects of excessive consumption"

So you cant win!!

kelly_o_fanatic;4912568

At least you can get diabetic chocolate and diabetic chocolate eggs now … At least you can get diabetic chocolate and diabetic chocolate eggs now :)When I was younger I was allergic to dairy, and you couldnt get dark chocolate eggs for the first few years - was rubbish! Then thorntons started doing one so everyone got me that one.

be careful with the diabetic chocolate...

one of my friends said to me... "I have been giving my little boy diabetic chocolate as it has less sugar in... havent a clue why but he keeps running to the loo every few mins... "

one quick look at the pack showed that it "may cause diarrhoea..."

Just a heads up!

clondikemike;4912711

Problem is if you eat to much you spend the day on the toilet as it acts … Problem is if you eat to much you spend the day on the toilet as it acts as a laxative, thorntons sell some but it is advised not to eat more than 3 or 4 :x"Maltitol tastes almost as sweet as sugar but has considerably fewer calories (less than 2.5 calories per gram) and does not cause tooth decay. It is also thought to be healthier for the stomach and intestines. However EU guidelines recommend limiting consumption of polyol-based chocolates to 100g per day due to the laxative effects of excessive consumption"So you cant win!!

ClarityofMind;4912716

be careful with the diabetic chocolate...one of my friends said to me... … be careful with the diabetic chocolate...one of my friends said to me... "I have been giving my little boy diabetic chocolate as it has less sugar in... havent a clue why but he keeps running to the loo every few mins... "one quick look at the pack showed that it "may cause diarrhoea..." Just a heads up!

I think there was something on watchdog about that a while ago, some diabetic doesnt say anything about side effects, and the ones that do you cant even eat a whole bar (a usual amount) without them taking effect.

sorry to here you missed out on your choccy treat.
    My son is an insulin dependant diabetic and he eats normal chocolate (in moderation). As long as you eat a balanced diet there is no need to buy special diabetic foods ( as mentioned they have a laxative effect due to the sweeteners used in them).

annecollins.com/dia…htm

Q: Do I need to eat special diabetic foods?

A: There is no need for anyone with diabetes to eat special diabetic foods like cookies, chocolate, jelly/jam or sweets. Instead you can eat ordinary chocolate, biscuits and jams as part of an overall balanced diet. The diabetic foods often cost a lot more, and tend to be just as high in fat and calories as ordinary products. They usually contain a bulk sweetener, such as fructose or sorbitol, which can have a laxative effect and make blood glucose levels rise. Diabetic foods are unnecessary and offer no special benefit to people with diabetes.

Remember that all confectionery, cakes and cookies are high in fat and calories and need to be limited according to the individual.

NOTE: We recommend that people with diabetes should see a state-registered dietitian locally for more specific advice about their individual targets and requirements.

Banned

Well i know how to play a practical joke on someone now, give them a nice cup of hot diabetic chocolate hehe!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card66
      2. Win a Year's Supply of Tea, a Coffee Hamper & a Coffee Machine54
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…88
      4. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO22

See more discussions